Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Speedometer removal/replacement

Quote Originally Posted by scootrp125x View Post
    I put a drop of oil on the speedo gear and put the bike back together.

I rode to work yesterday with the temp at 35 degrees. Rode home last night at 37 degrees. So far no whine or needle fluctuation on my speedo! Will ride to work again today and give it another test.
    As I mentioned in my post, this worked for me for a short time, but the squealing and needle fluctuation returned. The bushing that the spinning magnet is attached to gets worn until the magnet actually contacts the steel disk the speedo needle is attached to and makes it jump around. No way to fix it except buy a replacement. Good luck with it.

Al - Ogden, Utah
    Boxer bikes, boxer dogs, and letterboxing.
    2004 1150GS
    2006 Boxer dog (Paisley)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by awagnon View Post
    As I mentioned in my post, this worked for me for a short time, but the squealing and needle fluctuation returned. The bushing that the spinning magnet is attached to gets worn until the magnet actually contacts the steel disk the speedo needle is attached to and makes it jump around. No way to fix it except buy a replacement. Good luck with it.
    [/IMG]
    I'm not holding my breath that this will be a long term fix but it works for now and I now know how to take everything apart if I have to replace the speedo. I cant find fault with a learning experience!
    04 R1150RT

I cant find fault with a learning experience!
    What's that saying? " Time spent learning is never wasted." Clearly one of the values in doing your own wrenching.
    Al - Ogden, Utah
    Boxer bikes, boxer dogs, and letterboxing.
    2004 1150GS
    2006 Boxer dog (Paisley)

Quote Originally Posted by awagnon View Post
    What's that saying? " Time spent learning is never wasted." Clearly one of the values in doing your own wrenching.
    Even if it is the hard way.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

It's all about the details.

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    I'm not holding my breath that this will be a long term fix but it works for now and I now know how to take everything apart if I have to replace the speedo. I cant find fault with a learning experience!
    Glad to hear the problem is solved! Always a good feeling to fix it yourself.

By the way, GSAddict is the guy who showed me the tiny drop of oil fix. He's got a million of em so I borrow a few.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT