Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2009 BMW R12RT - Mystery Bolt

2009 BMW R12RT - Mystery Bolt

Good evening,

I really struggled in weather i should send out a SOS help to the board, but I did something rather stupid!

I bought a 2009 BMW R12RT and took it apart to clean (the Tupperware) the frame, I removed the trunk bracket/frame, the left side of the foot peg frame. Got everything nice and clean (hate a dirty bike), but I have a stainless steel bolt that for the life of me I have no clue where it goes or where it came from. The size is 8 X 1.25 thread X 30 mm long. It's stainless and it's none magnetic. The only thing I can remember is that when it was installed at the factory, grey anti seize was applied to the threads. You can see some of the anti seize at the start of the thread.

Is there some one out there who is more familiar to where this bolt goes, I would be grateful to you in pointing me as to where it goes. Guess I'll have to wear the letter L on my forehead for a day!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rick MacPherson
    Success is Not a Destination, But a Journey.
    Accredited Motorcycle Appraiser
    1968 BSA Starfire, 1976 BMW R75/6, 2009 R1200RT

Are you sure you got all the footpeg plate bolts back in. That might be one.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

wierd,
    it looks like one of the handle bar bolts
    2005 R1200RT
    BMWMOA # 143779
    "Positive Habit Transfer is no substitute for Situational Awareness."

Are you sure you got all the footpeg plate bolts back in. That might be one.

Paul,

Went put to the shop to check and all three bolts are present and accounted for. Thank you foe the suggestion!
    Rick MacPherson

BMW uses that size bolt a number of places on various models. I am not very familiar with the R1200RT. But M8 bolts are all over the place on other models including handlebars, brake calipers, etc. It has to have come from somewhere. Not working on any other bikes recently???
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

im an r1200rt guy ill keep my eye out for it... I was thinking break caliper but you said you did pull those so not sure. Do not throw it away and keep QCing your work till you find it. If I find something I'll let you know.
    v/r
    reece
    2005 R1200RT
    BMWMOA # 143779
    "Positive Habit Transfer is no substitute for Situational Awareness."

NMGreyGhost
    Check the centerstand
    Robert LaPrise
    06 RT12
    Albuquerque, NM

Rally Rat
    I think there are 2 bots on the inside of the left (starter) side rear of the foot peg plate. One short fat one for the muffler and one like in the picture. On the Right side of the bike in the back of the foot peg plate is another one on the inside.

These were on a 00RT

David

Edit: There are no 8X30 bolts in the side plate.
    8 X 25 and 8 X 35mm only.

I checked the on fiche.

Retrace what you took off the bike.

Did you loosen the muffler? Finding anti-sieze on it, and that you were working in the left side, tells me it's possibly the clamp bolt. It is not from the centerstand for sure.
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

I'd advise you to take the unit apart again and retrace your steps. There are no "extra" bolts! Don't ride until you figure out what isn't fastened down properly. Might help you to have an organizer tray to place screws and bolts as you remove them, in the sequence of removal. Some folks go as far to use zip lock bags and write a tag on the bag as to where it came from in cases where the unit is dissassembled for long periods.
    IMHO
    Will Stagg Central Coast of Commiefornia
    2012 R1200RT (most awesome unit)
    1978 R100/7 (sidecar tug )
    Yamaha TW200 adventure bikes (3) waay fun units

From Paul Graves: But M8 bolts are all over the place on other models including handlebars, brake calipers, etc.

From arbolmano: I'd advise you to take the unit apart again and retrace your steps.

From rangerreece: it looks like one of the handle bar bolts

Began to think about everyones comments and these three came out. Before I went to work this morning I went into the shop and found a bag of the same bolts that the PO gave me when he installed the machined block's for the handle bar risers. There was 7 in the bag, check the handle bars and there has to be eight (8). Checked with the magnet (they are non magnetic) plus the description and it was the same as the other seven.

Another clue was that the bolt was stainless steel and the anti galling paste was smeared all over the plastic bag the others were in. I apologies in that I should have realized that is where the bolt came from.....

Thank you to all of you in helping me sort this out as I do not want to swing my leg over a machine that was missing some critical bolts that is not all there.

Merry Christmas to you all.
    Last edited by b25bsaboy; 12-10-2012 at 10:58 PM.
    Rick MacPherson

na1g
    A handlebar bolt??? Good thing it's nothing important!

And a very happy Holiday to you, too, Rick. And to all.

pete

Gray antiseize is the norm for the recommended Optimoly TA product used to assemble the exhaust system. It could be specified elsewhere, of course, but there aren't that many places that antiseize--as opposed to Loctite--are specified. Handlebar bolts will be Loctited of course. M8X35 is the size of the muffler hanger screw. The screw size for the muffler to header clamp isn't listed separately.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Rick,

I would guess the PO had dropped the bolt down into the depths of the plastic when he removed it from the bar clamp, and since he wasn't using it and didn't want to take all the plastic off, he just forgottaboutit. I've been known to do this.. and then dug a replacement bolt from my spare parts box.

When you started removing things you jarred it loose from it's happy nest in the bike, and it fell to the floor where you found it. I've done that also - but luckily since I'm the only one who ever works on my bike I was able to say "Ah ha! There you are.."
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    Gray antiseize is the norm for the recommended Optimoly TA product used to assemble the exhaust system. It could be specified elsewhere, of course, but there aren't that many places that antiseize--as opposed to Loctite--are specified. Handlebar bolts will be Loctited of course. M8X35 is the size of the muffler hanger screw. The screw size for the muffler to header clamp isn't listed separately.
    The muffler to header clamp bolt is much larger. The nut takes a 17mm wrench IIRC.. and I've seen anti-seize on other bolts on the R1200 series (and from possibly faulty memory, I seem to recall seeing it on the 4 bolts that hold the bar clamps on my R1200R.). Stainless into aluminum will seize and gall the threads up if it isn't used (ask any sailboat owner).. Luckily loctite also seems to provide some protection against seizing and galling (and electrolysis.)
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche