Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: BMW style accessory plug, Why?

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    I don't own a single thing that plugs into a Powerlet type socket. If I did, I'd install one in addition to US-type lighter socket on the bike.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

I happen to think Carter was a bit more progressive than the average politician at the time and he threatened the status quo especially big oil. And he got politically assassinated by both parties and the media. We would have been the world leaders in alternative energy right now had we listened to him. But we don't want to get political ,right
    Anthony S.
    2012 R1200GS

Quote Originally Posted by sloride View Post
    I happen to think Carter was a bit more progressive than the average politician at the time and he threatened the status quo especially big oil. And he got politically assassinated by both parties and the media. We would have been the world leaders in alternative energy right now had we listened to him. But we don't want to get political ,right
    It wasn't what we currently call alternative energy, it was technologies like low-head hydroelectric and co-generation for gas turbines. The development of both of these technologies was continued by European and Japanese companies and have been available to the market for a few decades.

I was working in the hydro-electric industry when the bottom fell-out in the early 80's. The end of funding to the Export-Import bank and USAID killed our chances on international projects. It was fun, but long ago.........
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Quote Originally Posted by sloride View Post
    I happen to think Carter was a bit more progressive than the average politician at the time and he threatened the status quo especially big oil. And he got politically assassinated by both parties and the media
    and 18% interest rates and 9% unemployment.
    2013 Triumph Trophy
    2007 R1200RT Broken driveshaft @ 54,000 miles. Come on BMW!
    2000 R1100rt sold @ 72,000 Great Bike!
    Iron Butt #24605

Quote Originally Posted by alanrd View Post
    and 18% interest rates and 9% unemployment.
    It was the Volker strong dollar policy which killed inflation. And, within a year or two of instituting that policy, the US dollar exchange rate had risen enough that oil and most other imported goods prices dropped.

The unemployment rate went from 9% in 1976 to 6% in 1980. It hit 11% in 1983 when I was working a replacement grinder while our union workers were on strike at Allis Chalmers. By 1985, commercial/industrial manufacturing was a thing of the past, so I joined the Military Industrial Complex. For my friends that stayed in commercial manufacturing, it hasn't been pretty and many have minimal retirement accounts.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Back to the topic. I didn't see it mentioned but a Powerlet/BMW plug will also power your heated gear provided that it's not connected to the Canbus. Most cigarette style plugs can only handle 5 amps, Powerlet/BMW 15 amps. Try going down a rough road with your GPS plugged into a cigarette style. More then once my GPS connection stopped making contact. That never happened with a Powerlet/BMW plug. In addition to European bikes and John Deer tractors you can add Caterpillar heavy equipment, Can AM Spiders, and some Victory motorcycles are also using them. I believe Powerlet is also working with HD to start putting these on their bikes. I would think in about five years or so the Powerlet/BMW style plug will be on most powersport vehicles and the cigarette style will be a thing of the past.

Quote Originally Posted by brewmeister View Post
    Carter signed into law the right to home brew,that makes him OK in my book!
    Both my RT's came with those european plugs so I just bought the american adapter so I have the best of both.I only use them for charging my cell phone.
    He just did the home brew thing to keep Billy out of jail.
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

Quote Originally Posted by 43362 View Post
    If you feel like it you could install both. On my scooter there is a north American style outlet in the glove box but it is not accessible to use while riding unless you are charging a phone. I am installing an additional outlet on the dash somewhere soon that can be used all the time.
    I did the same thing with my VStrom. It has both styles in the fairing and an addtional Powerlet outlet on the side below the seat where I can easily plug in my heated gear.

I actually have never used the cigarette lighter outlet...