Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2012 GSA - fuel tank cap made out of plastic?!

P Monk

gas cap blues

I can see the flush mounting gas cap you installed goning on my GS.

Maybe in Germany they don't have the rubber vacuum hoses like on most of the gas pumps we do but a cap designed to only open to 90 degrees makes fitting the nozzle with pleated hose difficult and will probably end up breaking the cap some day.
    P. Monk
    My prized possessions. 74 R90/6 Mine! (also know by bride as the Black Hole). 09 R1200 GS. My wife, 1953 model who has survived aplastic anemia and a bone marrow transplant. My most prized possession is my relationship with Jesus!

The cap on the R1200R is the same design, flimsy plastic hinge. It barely opens enough to get those EPA certified hoses in and I have worried about mine breaking since day one. I just ordered a new billet aluminum cap from Sling Shot Racing (http://www.slingshotracing.net/catal...cap-p-383.html) via Amazon. I do hope it fits ok.

Wayne

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dpmonk View Post
    I can see the flush mounting gas cap you installed goning on my GS.

Maybe in Germany they don't have the rubber vacuum hoses like on most of the gas pumps we do but a cap designed to only open to 90 degrees makes fitting the nozzle with pleated hose difficult and will probably end up breaking the cap some day.
    The "articulated vapor recovery boot" surrounding the pump nozzle is precisely what knocked the OEM cap off my tank.

I've heard the EPA (or maybe it was our local air quality management board) has rescinded the regulation that requires these vapor recovery systems. I can't wait for them to evaporate away into the atmosphere.
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

My SSR gas cap came in. Perfect fit. It has a rubber washer under the housing that keeps it off the metal enough to prevent scratching the paint. No worries of broken hinges now. $55 on Amazon vs $99 on SSR website?

Edit, I see now, the one on SSR website is 1/4 turn release. The one via Amazon for 1/2 the price requires you to unscrew it. Three turns it is off, still an excellent product.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by toooldtocare; 12-02-2012 at 12:14 AM.

MOUNTAIN RIDER
    The thing I sort of find funny is we spend a premium on our lovely steeds over some other motorbikes out on the market and BMW is known as well made motorbike, why would they make a part like the gas cap out of plastic. Well to save money is why, but hey at 17k plus the little things like a metal gas cap would go a long way. I would be like WoW they really do make a bike to last, spot on, good going BMW, I love you. Again we are stuck with engineers behind CAD machines trying to save a penny.

As of now I fill up at the local Shell station and have not see the vapor recovery boot on the pump, or I am not paying attention enough to notice. I will keep this in mind when I fill up in the future. Thanks for sharing your story.

I do like some of the replacement after market cap you all have, very cool!!!!

I think my factory cap is metal, but the hinge is plastic and very small. It also only opens 90 degrees, leaving hardly any room for the hose with the vapor recovery system. That thing must be 3+ inches in diameter. I can hardly get it down on the tank without bending back the factory cap.

Funny about the engineers and their cad machines. I am one (retired, first aerospace and later medical equipment) and often we were told how much a design should cost, not how long it should last. We even had one program at a major defense contractor that I worked for called, "Design to Cost." Kind of tells you all you need to know.

Recently I let go my 78 Motorsport for this R12R, which I love for its brakes and handling, power, etc. and I plan on keeping it. But the airheads had so much more charm, so yesterday I put my bid in on another one, a 77 R100S that is being restored by two friends. No plastic gas cap hinges on it, or even a hinge.

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by OfficerImpersonator View Post
    I replaced the plastic stock fuel tank cap with the "SSR Billet Aluminum" version. The plug-and-play installation took about four minutes, and the new black aluminum cap looks great on the triple-black GSA!

http://pirateslair.net/SSRgascapK1600.htm
    To me, the gas cap on the GSA is a MAJOR pain in the a$$.

Even if it does not snap off, to get the gas pump nozzle in there and to fill it up to the max with these stupid gas pump plastic/rubber sleeves that cover/go across the nozzle here in CA is a royal pain!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OfficerImpersonator View Post
    The "articulated vapor recovery boot" surrounding the pump nozzle is precisely what knocked the OEM cap off my tank.

I've heard the EPA (or maybe it was our local air quality management board) has rescinded the regulation that requires these vapor recovery systems. I can't wait for them to evaporate away into the atmosphere.
    CORRECT, these stupid "articulated vapor recovery boots" do NOT exist in Germany.