Thread: Hello from Chesapeake Vaq

Hybrid View

Hello from Chesapeake Vaq

I just picked up my new (to me) 2011 R1200 RT this weekend. I flew from Norfolk Va to Charleston SC for a fly-and-ride. The bike had 2,355 miles on it when I pulled out of the driveway of the person I bought it from.

I am coming from a 2004 FJR, so I am comfortable with the look and ergonomics of the RT. While I think the FJR is a good bike, I think the RT is a great bike! I am looking forward to a loooooong relationship with this bike and this community.

Scott -

Welcome to the forum and BMWs! Even a blind squirrel finds a nice bike now and then, eh?

Sounds like you had a nice bonding experience with your ride home.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Congratulations and Welcome!

Post a pic when you get a chance.

Settle in, there is a lot to read and learn on this forum.

Aloha.

Scot

Quote Originally Posted by Liv2Ride View Post
    Post a pic when you get a chance.

Settle in, there is a lot to read and learn on this forum.

Aloha.

Scot
    Sitting in my driveway

Welcome Scott,

I imagine the FJR is super smooth. What were your first impressions with the Boxer engine? Sounds like you are enjoying it, but it is a different sensation.

Quote Originally Posted by bluehole View Post
    Welcome Scott,

I imagine the FJR is super smooth. What were your first impressions with the Boxer engine? Sounds like you are enjoying it, but it is a different sensation.
    I really like the boxer. More vibration when ideling, but it smooths right out on take off. The FJR seems to have more "snap your head back" throttle response, but I suspect that is because the throttle on the FJR is much more sensitive than the RT and I am still getting used to the RT throttle.

With the RT I like that I can do 55 MPH in first through sixth gear and the bike doesn't really seem to mind at all.

Congratulations and enjoy! I flew and rode from NJ to TN this past August and have the same setup as you do, 2011 too, only in triple grey. My ride was 800 miles and I was tortured by the seat. Bought a lightly used Corbin and all is good, except I slide a bit on the hard turns, I can't "grip" the Corbin like you can the stock seat, the Corbin is quite wide and large, but I guess that's the feature that makes it comfortable for me.

How was your ride up? How was the weather and how was the seat? I had light rain all day my first day with a harder rain at the end when I was calling it a day anyway, and I was surprised I stayed almost dry behind that windshield without using the rain gear, just the BMW summer suit. . The second day was sunny, humid and 95 degrees. I was spent by the time I arrived. I stayed with ATGATT the entire trip and it was tough. Had I known beforhand it was going to be that tough with the seat and the heat/humidity, I would have had the bike shipped up.