Thread: Updating a BMW Navigator-III

Updating a BMW Navigator-III

I recently picked up a second hand Navigator-III that has some pretty old maps on it (2006 I think).
    Is there a way to update the maps on this thing? I have searched for obvious answers on the appropriate Garmin page - but it looks like everyone there packed up shop and went home some time back.
    Last edited by 185274; 11-06-2012 at 01:10 PM.

Register the GPS with Garmin (they have a tool to do that on their website) and you should be able to order new maps for it. They offer a lifetime map subscription that seems to be the best deal (around $90).. I have the lifetime for my NAV-III and get map updates about every 6 months.

One possible problem.. if someone else has already registered the GPS with Garmin they may not allow you to register it (it goes by serial number) - this is an anti-theft measure. If the old owner who registered it goes into their Garmin account and de-registers it, then you can register it to yourself.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    Register the GPS with Garmin. One possible problem.. if someone else has already registered the GPS with Garmin they may not allow you to register it (it goes by serial number) - this is an anti-theft measure. If the old owner who registered it goes into their Garmin account and de-registers it, then you can register it to yourself.
    However if you can produce a legitimate receipt, Garmin will "de-register" the unit for you. I bought a used Streetpilot some time back on eBay that was still registered to an original owner who was not the seller. I faxed both the eBay receipt and Paypal receipt too Garmin and since there was no theft report, they set it right for me.
    2004 R1150GS 1978 R75G/S Frankenbike
    AMA - BMWMOA - BMWRSOC - AZBEEMERS
    Gilbert, Arizona