Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking Of Returning To a K100RS

RK Ryder
    Don't have an RS but I do ride a K100RT. Don't tell the Oil Heads, but I actually prefer many aspects of my old K over my R1100RT.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Quote Originally Posted by 04gt4me View Post
    Hopefully someone remembers who made them. Sorry
    I've seen the heat shields, but I'm not sure who made them.
    Was it CC Products, the same company that made injector covers for the K75?

Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Nick Kennedy
    I wrote down this Link a while back for K Bike Heat Guards:

Johnny Blanket

Tony's K Guards

Tony Tabet
    901 314 0143

I dialed the number and it goes into a weird ATT voicemail. Could not leave a message.

I wonder if this guy is still around and producing these items?

I too would like to get a heat guard/ blanket for my K 75 RT, I wonder if there was enough demand to put together a order of X amount, could someone do a batch..??
    signed:
    sweaty knackers

PHILIPCARLSON
    Quote Originally Posted by 04gt4me View Post
    : Probably did around a million second gear wheelies too.
    Just getting used to my K100RS before I start pulling wheelies, but how fast and what RPM are doing these in?

Quote Originally Posted by nickrides View Post

Johnny Blanket

Tony's K Guards

Tony Tabet
    901 314 0143

I dialed the number and it goes into a weird ATT voicemail. Could not leave a message.

I too would like to get a heat guard/ blanket for my K 75 RT, I wonder if there was enough demand to put together a order of X amount, could someone do a batch..??
    signed:
    sweaty knackers
    I have a set of Tony's K Guards. I'll check with a friend of his and see if he has any left.

He used my bike to fit/test them, and I tried to help drum up business for him. The last time we spoke a few years ago, he said there was not much interest and he was putting them on hold.
    Ron

91 K75RT ABS

Quote Originally Posted by milo View Post
    Paul, or anyone. Regarding K100's my understanding is there wasn't very much in the way of changes between a 1985 and 1990, except for ABS becoming available in what 1989? What about K75's? Are they about the same from 1986-1995 excepting for the ABS availability? Were there any meaningful improvements affecting durability or servicing that you're aware of?
    I can tell you that in about 1990, BMW made some changes to their K75. They included the following:1) Lighter pistons and rods. 2) Different water pump. 3) Different front forks. 4) Bigger alternator (1994). 5)Three spoke wheels (as an option, although may have been stock on the "S".)

It is my understanding that K bikes with the lighter pistons, reworked water pump and fork changes are classified as a K75/2.

I may have the details and/or dates wrong. I am sure someone with more knowledge can give you better info. Ask 98Lee, he is a K75 genius
    Lynn
    MOA #57883
    Current Ride: 1995 K75 Standard
    Past: 1978 Yamaha XS 750, 1976 BMW R60/6

Quote Originally Posted by nickrides View Post

Johnny Blanket

Tony's K Guards

Tony Tabet
    901 314 0143

signed:
    sweaty knackers
    The Johnny Blanket is easy to make with material from Home Depot.

"GOOGLE" Johnny Blanket and a link to another BMW site will come up.
    Ron

91 K75RT ABS

Quote Originally Posted by ARGENT BRICK View Post
    I can tell you that in about 1990, BMW made some changes to their K75. They included the following:1) Lighter pistons and rods. 2) Different water pump. 3) Different front forks. 4) Bigger alternator (1994). 5)Three spoke wheels (as an option, although may have been stock on the "S".)
    Thanks, Argent. Do you know what model year the Motometer was improved? They would intermittently stop functioning on many, including my 1988, and were replaced. Always something to be conscious of when looking at older K bikes.
    14 R1200GSA, 93 R100R. No car is as fun to drive as any motorcycle is to ride.

Thanks, Argent. Do you know what model year the Motometer was improved? They would intermittently stop functioning on many, including my 1988, and were replaced. Always something to be conscious of when looking at older K bikes.
    Can't say that I remember when the change was made. I am sure someone around here knows when the speedometer upgrade was done.
    Lynn
    MOA #57883
    Current Ride: 1995 K75 Standard
    Past: 1978 Yamaha XS 750, 1976 BMW R60/6

Not 100% on this but I believe it was 1993---I know my '94 has the Gore Tex vents (which do not really help much with the condensation problem as intended).

If my guess is wrong somebody will chime in with the corect answer...
    ---Jeff

ex: K75S Berlina R100GS/PD , K100RS , R75/5 , R60/2

The cluster is pretty easy to fix. The problem is generally poor connection between the ribbon cable and the pins that connect to the external cable. It is just a matter of reinforcing and soldering the connections.
    2008 HP2 Sport 10,000, 2008 R1200GSA 90,000, 1990 R100GSPD 100,000, 1986 K100RS 152,000

Reinforcimg and soldering?

Plz excuse my double-post made when trying to correct my heading typo...
    ---Jeff

Reinforcing and soldering?

I fixed my intermittent speedo by the usual and recommended method; clean the square wire posts and twist them slightly to maintain a better connection. No soldering called for.

I augmented my fix with a light application of Noalox (conductive grease, not to be confused with dielectric grease which is the exact opposite). No more problems since save for residual condensation showing up inside the cluster.
    ---Jeff

I've loved my 88 K100RS but wish to let it go to a new home. I have recently found a K100rt Forum where there are all manner of vintage K100 enthusiasts from the world over.

http://www.k100-forum.com/forum

You might look around there a bit, OR look in the MOA flea market...
    I cannot blame you for wanting to go "back" to one. They are seriously great bikes.
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World

Thanks 88, I'm bookmarking that forum.

Yeah I'm occasionally checking the flea market, Craigslist, etc. I'm in no hurry and would prefer a K100RS or possibly K75S, (mostly) stock with relatively low miles. I guess the perfect one would be owned by someone interested in moving to a scooter, as I have a nice Suzuki Burgman 650 to sell.
    14 R1200GSA, 93 R100R. No car is as fun to drive as any motorcycle is to ride.