Thread: 2012 rt

2012 rt

Just bought a new r1200rt does anybody make a smaller tank bag that clips into to tank bracket like the factory bag?

Not that I am aware, but you can remove the BMW bag from the clip-in frame and attach a smaller bag, such as an RKA, on the frame.
    Mark Neblett
    Fairfax, VA

The Touratech Flattop tank bag is a well made, decent and small enough to not interfere with the handlebar switches at full lock. The vinyl (?) map case also holds up well. The bag is very weather proof. No rain cover is included but I use an old one from my ancient Eclipse tankbag.
    12 R1200 RT
    83 R100 RT

Motorradfahrer
    The mechanism of the BMW tank bag and the ease of which it connects is excellent. I wish they had this same setup on my GTL. If you have seen the bag in person and seen the ease of it you need to do so before you pull the trigger on anything else. If I had another RT and wanted a smaller bag I would hunt down an old bag on eBay and cut away the old bag just so I would have the frame to use as a base for any tank bag I wanted.

Hammam
    Quote Originally Posted by mneblett View Post
    Not that I am aware, but you can remove the BMW bag from the clip-in frame and attach a smaller bag, such as an RKA, on the frame.
    You can do that without ruining the BMW bag? I don't have the bag.

Congrats on the new RT !

Quote Originally Posted by Hammam View Post
    You can do that without ruining the BMW bag? I don't have the bag.
    I haven't done it, so I do not know.

There are 11 small screws under the clip-on plate, suggesting the answer is yes, it can be removed without damage -- but again, I have no idea whether damage-less removal is possible.
    Mark Neblett
    Fairfax, VA

tank bag

I'm going with the tourtech its seems to fit well just not sure about the velcro

Loading the Bike
    I have a tourtech with the bmw base - I didn't do it, came with the bike but the heighet is perfect.

lloving

+1 for Tourtech

Quote Originally Posted by jimgior View Post
    I have a tourtech with the bmw base - I didn't do it, came with the bike but the heighet is perfect.
    I also use the Tourtech with BMW base. I tested the BMW and it attached smoothly but was just too big for me.

But size matters. LOL. It took some getting used too, but love my big ole RT bag.
    Lynn
    2008 BMW R1200RT (most fun you can legally have)
    2002 BMW R1150RT
    2008 Kawasaki Versys

Bag 'em Danno

+1 on the BMW bag. It is huge but once you get used to it.... I find in my old age it's easer to see the map (I'm not evolved enough to use a GPS) when it's closer. I actually put my magnet mount bag into the BMW bag to faciilitate my multiple bike habit. I ride my RT to my shop then switch to the TW200 to head out for work (I work on ranches requiring serious off road riding). My wife calls my tank bag a "man purse".
    Will Stagg Central Coast of Commiefornia
    2012 R1200RT (most awesome unit)
    1978 R100/7 (sidecar tug )
    Yamaha TW200 adventure bikes (3) waay fun units

Caribbean Druid
    +1+1 The tank bag setup on the RT is one of the best features of the bike. Yeh, they probably need to offer a smaller version tank bag with the same mechanism, but the attachment/latching design is awesome. Its too bad they don't do this with the 1200R, and the K and G series bikes as well.