Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Gerbing Jacket liner or Vest?

John

Gerbing Jacket liner or Vest?

Decided to purchase the Gerbing Jacket liner or Vest? I own a Rally 3 suit. Wearing LDComfort under garment, Gore-tex liner ziped into the suit and test wearing the Gerbing jacket liner, I felt a little confined in the sleeves because of the layering. I know keeping the core warm is a goal. Do those of you that own heated gear swear by the jacket or is the vest sufficient?
    John

Started with the vest....bought the jacket and wear it exclusively. But I ride in Montana, Alaska, and other chilly areas in between. Think about how your own body reacts to cold ( or not) and decide what works for you.
    Aptos, CA , if I remember correctly, can get downright raw in the winter, so it is a wetter cold. Do you need practice being miserable?
    F650 GS 2007! F650GS 2011
    Team Pterodactyl
    Wester of HQ

I prefer the jacket liner. Not only for warm arms, the liner has the built in wiring for the gloves.

That's one of the problems I have with the waterproofing being in a layer instead of the jacket itself. I had a Rallye 2 until I became too small for it & have a Darien now. With the Darien, I wear an LD comfort, a Powerlet heated full liner & the Darien. Works great. If I had to wear a waterproof/windproof liner as well, I would go vest, like you said, too much to wear otherwise.

I love the full heat with sleeves, but would not want to wear it inside a jacket with a liner like the Rallye.
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by petemiko View Post
    I prefer the jacket liner. Not only for warm arms, the liner has the built in wiring for the gloves.
    +1 here. I plug the gloves into the jacket attachment and it works great with the dual temp controller I had installed in the fairing on the bike.
    Wes Jones
    Annapolis, MD
    2012 K1600GT, Vermillion Red
    2013 S1000RR, Granite Gray

Whether or not you want electric gloves, the jacket is generally preferable for warmth.
    Keeping the arms warm contributes a great deal to keeping hands warm and BMWs heaed grips cover much of these rest, especially if you also have the GS type handguards or Barkbusters or anything else that blocks direct wind on hands (like Hippo Hands and similar).
    I only go for my electric gloves when temps get into the 20s...

I use one of my electric jackets under a RevIt Scirocco jacket that has a rain liner that I leave in as a windblock. The trick is to buy your jackets large enough for proper layering if you intend to ride in the cold. If it only gets to the mid 49s where you live, it matter a lot less but when temps head for freezing or less you will need the windblock layer, electric jacket or not....

+1 on jacket liner ( under first gear jacket)

John
    Thanks for the input. All of you. It is what I like about the forum. A chance to hear from people that have been where you want to go already.

Definitely the liner. My Widder vest, which works beautifully, sits in the closet ever since I purchased a jacket liner.

liner here also!!!
    AKA SNAPGADGET
    Lifes too short to ride an ugly Motorcycle

Thumbs up

Full liner for me too. I had a BMW vest originally and the liner keeps me much warmer. I know what you mean about it feeling like a lot of material because I was wearing it under my Santiago suit. MY liner is too big on me now though so I may switch to Warmnsafe. Theirs seems a little less bulky.
    MOA#125237
    IBA#35312
    http://empeg9000.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by empeg9000 View Post
    Full liner for me too. I had a BMW vest originally and the liner keeps me much warmer. I know what you mean about it feeling like a lot of material because I was wearing it under my Santiago suit. MY liner is too big on me now though so I may switch to Warmnsafe. Theirs seems a little less bulky.
    Check out Powerlet as well. They are the latest out there. I'm really happy with mine.
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by petemiko View Post
    +2.

I'll say that it must have to get pretty cold before I wear it again b/c this RT I have now blocks so much wind. It was 41 when I left the house and I was wearing a Rev'it tornado (summer mesh) jacket and the thermal rain liner and was fine. I had the seat on heat level 2 and grips on 1.

John
    Sounds like the liner wins hands down. Thanks again.

Jack Herbst
    Just went through the process. I have a Rally III and do not wear the liner that comes with it. I only were the Gerbings jacket liner with a light short sleeve nylon/rayon T-shirt. Thats all you ever need.

Too hot with electric off--remove liner.

Too hot with no liner---open vents.

Still to hot---remove Rally Sleeves.

Still too hot---remove Rally Vest.

You are now down to a T-shirt.

Still to hot, call it a day. Get six pac of Hinekins/Coors ETC and check into a hotel withh A/C.

See all your options and how easy that is.

If your Gerbings jacket and Rally III Suit is not warm enough and it is that cold, your bike won't start anyway.

Life is simple!

Jack
    "All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I realize I should have been more specific."