Thread: Larger Bags for a /7?

Larger Bags for a /7?

My 1978 R80/7 is equipped with the period bag mount/rack setup.

The vintage cases are pretty well worn out.
    I'd like to update to some later/larger cases.
    Wondering if the 33 liter Touring Cases are large enough to hold a Schuberth C3?
    Anyone?

thanks.
    -jwk-

1978 R80/7

You might consider the Hepco-Becker "Krauser" replica bags. They are a little wider than the original bags and fit the mounting rack nicely (the bags come with an updated mounting latch to replace the seatbelt style one). I have an Icon full-face helmet that is very wide (relative to my prior Shoei) that would not fit into my old Krausers, but does fit into the new HB bags. I think a few places are selling them now- I bought mine from Bob's BMW a few years ago- still working nicely.
    Jim
    '78 R80/7 and '84 R100RS (Blues Brothers), '86 K75C (Icy Hot)
    '90 and '93 Mazda Miatas (Jelly Bean and Red Hot), '02 325ci (Blue Streak)
    '96 Giant Upland (big Kendas & freshly greased bearings!)

Sounds like a plan. I will check with Bob's.

thanks,
    -jwk-

1978 R80/7

I just want to say as a fellow '78 R80/7 owner that yours is one beautiful machine.

How did you get the engine that clean?
    77 R75/7
    78 R100/7
    93 R100R
    95 MZ Tour

P Monk

pipes

and headers that aren't blue? Either it isn't run or major restoration. My bikes were never that clean on the showroom floor!
    P. Monk
    My prized possessions. 74 R90/6 Mine! (also know by bride as the Black Hole). 09 R1200 GS. My wife, 1953 model who has survived aplastic anemia and a bone marrow transplant. My most prized possession is my relationship with Jesus!

Image was taken when I first rolled it out in 2007 after a complete resto.
    This was a Craigslist junker I found in Portland.
    Took a whole winter to bring it back.
    Stripped it down to the last bolt and rebuilt/replaced/refinished everything.
    Added Nikasil jugs and rebuilt the heads for unleaded fuel.
    After weeks of trying every cleaning method imaginable, finally did the unthinkable. Painted it. Worked out a combination that's hard to tell from the bare aluminum.
    -jwk-

1978 R80/7

Flying T Pot mounts and bags

I have a 1977 R100/7. Same general idea, I wanted a tougher bag that still mounted to generally stock mounts. Flying T Pot has a stock looking mount that is a little stronger and mounted without even having to bend or stretch the rack, it seems quite stout and is black. I also purchased his metal bags/panniers. I was worried about 30 plus year old plastic bags failing in some manner, latches opening while riding or a simple parking lot tip over and the bag cracks or shatters due to age and there I am with all my stuff.... So far after a few road trips I am very pleased, while the panniers are not the stock look they really are not to far off plus loading from the top. The rack has an additional strut that goes beneath the license plate for an additional point of bracing. I can also place a bag on the back of the seat and it sits nicely on the two panniers for support.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1977 R100/7 1971.1972.1972.1973 R75/5
    1974 R90/6 multiple boxes
    Airhead Revival
    "Objects in the mirror appear to be losing" unk

Panniers in use on the road

Finally found the pic of bike loaded. I use one pannier exclusively for "parts", i.e. spare cables, tubes, tire irons, oil, just a bunch of stuff that really consumes space but necessary on an older bike, maybe any bike, whatever. So I end up with a fairly large bag because of two sets of riding gear, in the Northwest you need full rain/cold type gear, and as I have found out, going south you need vented gear. As a result I have to much gear at this point so my bag looks huge, but it also contains all my camping gear. Anyway, it is what it is. This pic just shows how the bag lays across the seat and panniers. Also makes a very nice back rest. Works for me! Bottom line I am very pleased with my Flying T Pot setup and I have nothing but praise for working with them, small little company and he stands by his word. One odd thing is that no where on the pannier is any notation of who made it! Check out the web site : flyingtpot.com I found him in the Airhead club, ABC, Airhead Beemer Club for anyone not up to speed on airheads, great group.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1977 R100/7 1971.1972.1972.1973 R75/5
    1974 R90/6 multiple boxes
    Airhead Revival
    "Objects in the mirror appear to be losing" unk

Another shout out for Flying T Pot

I have a set as well and they are great!

With a set of those, my wife could bring 10 pairs of shoes!
    -jwk-

1978 R80/7

FWIW, here is a thread regarding the reproduction Krauser - Hepco Becker bags. It's all still a bit confusing to me regarding the brand of new replacement HB, BMW, and Krauser airhead bags. But, it seems they are all the same bags and will hold a full size helmet. Good luck!

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=62010
    Stan

AH# 13238