Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Storing gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by amiles View Post
    Check local laws/ordinances and HOA rules, many of these restrict the quantity that you may store. I know of no fire extinguisher (other than maybe a pumper truck) that would extinguish 50 gallons of burning gasoline.

Storing gasoline in large quantities is dangerous (no kidding) Think ahead to the civil liability and moral issues should you burn down several houses and/or disfigure someone with painful burns.
    Good suggestion!

It would probably be a good idea to take a look at your insurance policy to see if storing it voids the policy.

E.

Quote Originally Posted by ka5ysy View Post
    It is crude oil stored in huge underground salt dome caverns in a number of places in south Louisiana.

That is ok most of the time, but then you have a problem like we are having right now with an abandoned salt dome storage facility that is collapsing and making a big sink hole near the home of one of the "Swamp People", Troy Landry. Another big chunk of surface land fell into the hole several days ago.

Photos here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=bayo...iw=944&bih=520
    So we'll have "salty" petroleum now"? Oily ground water?

Quote Originally Posted by MPMARTY View Post
    I store pure gas in regular red plastic gas "cans" for six months at a time then pour them into my pickup tanks and throw the empties in the bed to go fill them up again.
    I've grown old enough that my "real gas cans" have all gone down the tube and now it's the lawyered up version we all see in the box stores. They are crappy! They do all kinds of dances no matter of full,1/2 full or empty. I know theres still better ones out there but my 2 newer ones are "hateable"...

how much ethenol is in the gas in kanuckia?

ntxt
    "Enemy fighters at 2 o'clock!...Roger, What should i do until then?"

2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    I've grown old enough that my "real gas cans" have all gone down the tube and now it's the lawyered up version we all see in the box stores. They are crappy! They do all kinds of dances no matter of full,1/2 full or empty. I know theres still better ones out there but my 2 newer ones are "hateable"...
    I hear ya. I hate those CARB compliant POS's but they're all you can get now. My old 5 gal GI cans were the best.
    1983 R100RS (Sold)
    2004 R1150RT
    BMW MOA 181289
    ABC 13558

Gas with stabil in it is good for 2 years. I rotate mine out @ 1 year w/o any problems.

Ymmv

I use Starbrite Enzyme Stabilizer.....Prevents

1. water in fuel
    2. Gum or Varnish
    3. Octane loss

I have had un-useable fuel. I have added the Starbrite Enzyme stuff to it and Bam!!!

The engine ran and I used the whole 5 gallons...Now this fuel I did not use in my BMW but I could have....The lawn needed mowed so........it over rulled.

I have stored my bike 14 months with this stuff and when I start the engine.......first time!!!!! Incredible.........You might want to look into it.....I wish I invented the stuff!!

Dennis Trovato
    '08 R1200RT
    Dennis and Karin Trovato

If you really want to get creative and have the room just get a 500 gallon steel gas tank. You can have a local fuel "Jobber" deliver right to your house. You should be able to specify with your order that your want 100% gasoline and no ethanol. Gas stations have to put a minimum of 10% ethanol mix in their gas that is dispensed to the public for "On Road" use. You can use the gas from your bulk tank in your cars and motorcycle.

The reference in an earlier post to Winter and Summer blends actually pertains to diesel fuel and not gasoline. Diesel fuel needs to be winterized to prevent gelling.

To find a jobber look for a company that services farm and home heating accounts

Jason
    Grand rapids, MI
    2012 BMW R1200RT

Better check your zoning laws. For that much gasoline you'll probably need more than just the tank.

And there are summer/winter blends in gasoline as well as diesel fuel. It depends where you're located.
    1983 R100RS (Sold)
    2004 R1150RT
    BMW MOA 181289
    ABC 13558

Cool

FYI - Sta-bil has a HIGH concentration of 'light oil' (kerosene) in it - not really as good for long-term storage of gasoline (hard on rubber) as their PR department would have you believe.

Check out comments made in the December issue of Rider ( in the Tech section) reference Sta-bil.

Suggest the StarBrite Star-Tron product!
    Last edited by Greenwald; 11-07-2012 at 04:50 PM.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    Suggest the StarBrite product!
    If you can find it.... Where do you buy it???

Quote Originally Posted by RAINEY View Post
    The reference in an earlier post to Winter and Summer blends actually pertains to diesel fuel and not gasoline. Diesel fuel needs to be winterized to prevent gelling.
    Quote Originally Posted by MARKAZ View Post
    And there are summer/winter blends in gasoline as well as diesel fuel. It depends where you're located.
    MARKAZ is right on this. RVP is generally raised in the winter months for improved startability and lowered in the summer months for reduced chance of vapor lock and reduced evaporative emissions.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/fuels/gasoli...lity/index.htm

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    If you can find it.... Where do you buy it???
    I can find it at virtually any motorcycle dealership.

Otherwise, always Amazon - found it listed there - just type in Star Brite or Star-Tron.

Good Luck.
    Last edited by Greenwald; 11-07-2012 at 04:50 PM.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Quote Originally Posted by rxcrider View Post
    MARKAZ is right on this. RVP is generally raised in the winter months for improved startability and lowered in the summer months for reduced chance of vapor lock and reduced evaporative emissions.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/fuels/gasoli...lity/index.htm
    We'll I guess depending on where you live they blend diffrently. Here in MI there's no difference in Winter/Summer gasoline blends. And here if you're bulk storage is less than 1200 gallons you don't have to have containment as long as its UL142 listed.
    Jason
    Grand rapids, MI
    2012 BMW R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by RAINEY View Post
    We'll I guess depending on where you live they blend diffrently. Here in MI there's no difference in Winter/Summer gasoline blends.
    I believe you will find that it depends on where you are in Michigan.

from http://www.epa.gov/oms/fuels/gasolin.../standards.htm :

State County/ Parish City Month & RVP PSI Max
    May Jun Jul Aug Sep 1-15
    MI Lenawee 9.0 7.0A 7.0 7.0 7.0
    MI Livingston 9.0 7.0A 7.0 7.0 7.0
    MI Macomb 9.0 7.0A 7.0 7.0 7.0
    MI Monroe 9.0 7.0A 7.0 7.0 7.0
    MI Oakland 9.0 7.0A 7.0 7.0 7.0
    MI St. Clair 9.0 7.0A 7.0 7.0 7.0
    MI Washtenaw Ann Arbor 9.0 7.0A 7.0 7.0 7.0
    MI Wayne Detroit 9.0 7.0A 7.0 7.0 7.0
    MI All others 9.0 9.0 9.0 9.0 9.0

A State has received a waiver under Clean Air Act 211(c)(4)(C) to adopt a state fuel program, more stringent than federal requirements, into the federally-approved State Implementation Plan (SIP). State fuel program may also define a volatility level and compliance date for refiners and/or terminals different than the compliance date for retailers. Potentially affected parties should refer to the SIP or contact the State for more information about proper compliance.

see also:
    http://blog.gasbuddy.com/posts/A-cra...01024-239.aspx
    http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-e...mmer-fuel1.htm