Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Deer Impacts

I don't see why we don't just increase the amount of hunting permits and thin the herd. There has been an explosion of the deer population in the last 20 years.
    Here is what Jeremy Hurst (Big Game Biologist for the NYS DEC) said: "Based on State Farm?« data, NY ranks #3 for total number of deer-vehicle collisions, but once the number of licensed drivers is factored in, NY ranks #23 for likelihood of an individual having a deer-vehicle collision. These data from State Farm?« give us a general picture of the trends of deer-vehicle collisions in the state....These data are not useful for making deer management decisions at the wildlife management unit scale. Rather, they simply illustrate the scope of impact that deer populations have on NY drivers."

We asked them for deer impacts by county, but they claim they don't keep this information. Right now, we are trying to get it from the DMV. I think the county stats would tell a much different story.

He then states: "Interestingly, every year I talk to hunters who seem convinced that NY deer management is run by the auto insurance industry. Yet, I can definitively say that DEC staff make decisions about deer management without influence from auto insurers. In fact, in the years I've been part of the deer program and working with our regional biologists to set antlerless harvest quotas, I have not once been contacted by an auto insurance representative. "

I find his comments not in line with local hunters. Most local hunters get their deer on the first day of hunting season. They believe that the doe population needs to be thinned drastically. It is only the hunters from NYC and NJ who want high deer populations. I am sure that Mr. Hurst knows this. Locals complain constantly about the excessively large deer population.

A few years ago Monroe County (Rochester) had some of the highest deer strike numbers in the state. There are HUGE herds in the suburbs, where they are safe from hunters. The deer population in Western NY is HUGE. The area around Rochester has some of the largest deer takes during hunting season, over 10 times the number/square mile of the Adirondacks. In the area there was about 10 deer taken /SQUARE MILE! Over 100,000 in western NY, (western finger lakes west) which was 1/2 of the total harvest.
    Western NY does have the highest deer population. The deer population the Adirondacks is low due to the amount of snow. You can see a complete set of charts and statistics from the DEC from this report . Unfortunately the report doesn't report the number of deer collisions per county, and a list of roads with the highest deer collisions.

Quote Originally Posted by pffog View Post
    The area around Rochester has some of the largest deer takes during hunting season, over 10 times the number/square mile of the Adirondacks.
    The county with the highest harvest of deer in New York is where I live, Steuben County.

I don't ride at night...

Harry
    2003 R1150RT - Silver

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post
    The county with the highest harvest of deer in New York is where I live, Steuben County.
    And that is just the legal ones. When I stay at my friends cabin in Adrian, you frequently hear a single rifle shot in the hills, and unless they are using 30-06 for squirrels, or the woodchucks started living in trees, my bet is somebody's freezer is getting filled.
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

Douglas Williams
    A heads up for those of you who avoid night riding to avoid deer, it doesn't matter. My wife, on a four lane divided city street at 9:30 am, hit a buck at 45 mph in traffic. Five months later, she and I were driving at 4:30 pm in May and met Bambi at 55 mph. Both cars were totaled. Broad daylight both times and I didn't see my deer until it landed in front of me. Both airbags deployed and I was grateful that I wasn't on my bike. Be careful out there, no matter what time of day it is. Maybe my wife is the problem....hmmm
    Sent from a Galaxy, far, far away

Quote Originally Posted by pffog View Post
    my bet is somebody's freezer is getting filled.
    If it was some backwoods guy harvesting a deer for the family, it's not so bad. There will always be the folks that will work like a dog to not hold a job and find any other means of putting food on the table. It's a fact of life in the country.

However, when you find it's a guy with a decent house and vehicle that just wants some hind quarters for his next keg party, that's a different story. Of course, I've had those same folks tell me that they work hard to support the deer herd by sitting fires to stimulate growth of underbrush. It just too bad, that they're burning my trees.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

I'm also in upstate ny and share the concern about deer. Two strikes in my cars and several close calls on the bikes. One thing that I try to be mindful of is the visibility off to the sides of the road. If there's brush or grass that's anything more than two or three feet tall, and it's growing close to the road then there's a better chance it could hide a small deer. If there's no brush or it's mowed below that height for say 50-100 yards on either side then your odds are much better IMO. With a wide expanse of open fields on both sides that are cut low...let 'er rip (within reason of course). But if there's forest line only a few feet from the roadside?... better slow it down and be extra alert. This is also why I like late fall, winter, and early spring riding so much. Despite there being more deer there's also less foliage to conceal them.
    Rick

'06 BMW R1200RT
    '74 Moto-Guzzi 850-T

Quote Originally Posted by wezul View Post
    Why is it . . . . one goes . . . . they all go.
    They are herd animals....We've probably got a dozen living on our property. I see them
    every night. Unfortunately they may be getting more used to me. I have two very bright
    running lights to spot their beady little eyes....

Mac

BTW, if you're feeding the birds, you could be feeding the deer as well....
    Mac
    1986 R80RT, 2005 R1200GS
    Livin' Large On The Lake

I don't live in deer country, but did hit one just south of Cody, Wyoming in 2010 about 7:30 am. Wasn't going through the woods, so I thought it would be alright. Guess again! Got lucky, as there was no serious damage to me or the bike.
    Ride far enough today so you can't come home untill tomorrow. 1998 BMW 1100GS
    IBA# 47129

Quote Originally Posted by Ken F View Post
    I don't see why we don't just increase the amount of hunting permits and thin the herd. There has been an explosion of the deer population in the last 20 years.
    Why spend money building "underpasses", bridges, ect for deer.
    Just thin them out.

Ken
    Too many pacifist suburbanites think it's cruel to kill Bambi for sport and can't imagine how anyone could do such a thing. But you sure gotta bet that they don't appreciate them eating the landscape plants and redecorating the SUV through physics. Course, these are the same kind of folks that think milk gets mixed in the back of the store from powder and that beef packages itself for convenient grilling.

Hunting seasons should definitely be open much more of the year and with much higher limits in many places. We've got way too many rats out there and they're (especially in upstate NY where corn and apples are high in their diet) good eating.

Here in NC, limits have been 2 a day and 5 on a license- and you can buy multiple licenses.
    Even with that we can't keep populations from growing. I used to hunt with a club averaging 11 kills per season per hunter- 550 total- and we didn't even dent the deer on the approx 30,000 acres we hunted.

NY had about 250,000 deer in the whole state when its current game laws were passed and now certainly has close to 2 million or more..
    What it needs is a revamp to encourage cullng (no doe permits, for example- just a 2 or 3 per day limit, changes to bowhunting and gun laws), especially around suburbs where accident rates are high. I moved away from NY (just outside Buffalo) in 1983 but even then we were seeing big increases in deer hits in suburbs and its gotten much worse since.

The objections of bambi huggers should be squashed or ignored and replaced with better control practices. We're in no danger of a shortage of deer- they breed faster than fish and nearly as fast as squirrels. And they make much better Italian sausage and burgers..

Quote Originally Posted by racer7 View Post
    Hunting seasons should definitely be open much more of the year and with much higher limits in many places. We've got way too many rats out there and they're (especially in upstate NY where corn and apples are high in their diet) good eating.

Here in NC, limits have been 2 a day and 5 on a license- and you can buy multiple licenses.
    Even with that we can't keep populations from growing. I used to hunt with a club averaging 11 kills per season per hunter- 550 total- and we didn't even dent the deer on the approx 30,000 acres we hunted.

NY had about 250,000 deer in the whole state when its current game laws were passed and now certainly has close to 2 million or more..
    What it needs is a revamp to encourage cullng (no doe permits, for example- just a 2 or 3 per day limit, changes to bowhunting and gun laws), especially around suburbs where accident rates are high. I moved away from NY (just outside Buffalo) in 1983 but even then we were seeing big increases in deer hits in suburbs and its gotten much worse since.

The objections of bambi huggers should be squashed or ignored and replaced with better control practices. We're in no danger of a shortage of deer- they breed faster than fish and nearly as fast as squirrels. And they make much better Italian sausage and burgers..
    Just curious how you (or any hunter) would utilize 11 deer in one year. Seems like that would make for an all venison diet.

I suspect one reason for the huge increase in the number of deer is a corresponding reduction in the number of deer hunters. There are certainly far fewer hunters in British Columbia than a generation ago.

My suggestion would be to legalize market hunting, perhaps ONLY for does. That would certainly reduce the number of deer while leaving the trophy bucks for the sport hunters. Deer that are properly cleaned, hung and butchered are indeed a taste treat. I bet non-hunting motorcyclists at least would be delighted to buy venison at the grocery store. Not sure how this would go over with the general populace.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

Quote Originally Posted by arthurdent View Post
    Too many pacifist suburbanites think it's cruel to kill Bambi for sport and can't imagine how anyone could do such a thing. But you sure gotta bet that they don't appreciate them eating the landscape plants and redecorating the SUV through physics. Course, these are the same kind of folks that think milk gets mixed in the back of the store from powder and that beef packages itself for convenient grilling.
    In my experience, the only folks calling for lower tag limits are the hunters. If you have a picture of a bambi hugger send it my way. I'd like to know what they look like.

However, I have met suburbanites that don't like having bullet holes in their houses and cars.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    In my experience, the only folks calling for lower tag limits are the hunters. If you have a picture of a bambi hugger send it my way. I'd like to know what they look like.

However, I have met suburbanites that don't like having bullet holes in their houses and cars.
    Not saying we should allow hunting inside the beltway , but it's the mentality that hurts every stakeholder, including the horned rats.

In MN, the DNR has sometimes called the NG to cull inside the metro to reduce the herd in Mississippi river bottom, Fort Snelling area. Meat gets donated to prisons and food shelves.

Likewise in northern MN there are two counties with a 100% cull due to bovine TB. A friend of ours goes up for a pickup load of frozen carcasses every year and the whole neighborhood comes out for a butchering/grinding party. Most folk leave with 35lb to freeze and there are still a lot of packages to share with others who need.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurdent View Post
    Not saying we should allow hunting inside the beltway , but it's the mentality that hurts every stakeholder, including the horned rats.

In MN, the DNR has sometimes called the NG to cull inside the metro to reduce the herd in Mississippi river bottom, Fort Snelling area. Meat gets donated to prisons and food shelves.

Likewise in northern MN there are two counties with a 100% cull due to bovine TB. A friend of ours goes up for a pickup load of frozen carcasses every year and the whole neighborhood comes out for a butchering/grinding party. Most folk leave with 35lb to freeze and there are still a lot of packages to share with others who need.
    What mentality?

Deer herd management in my area is part of a tourist / recreation industry. The hunters want deer in specific locations. Some hunters want deer of a specific size. In order to do that, the public pressure is to expand the herd. Culling the herd or donating the meat to prisons/charities would likely suffer severe public backlash from the hunters.

Apparently, it's not a hobby, it's a lifestyle.