Thread: TPS Question

TPS Question

my Throttle Position Sensor setting seems to creep up from where I set it after a couple hundred miles or so.

could it be that the TBs / butterflies are getting cleaner after a long trip?

any other suggestions / comments?

Your tires get warmer and the air pressure rises due to the added heat. No problem, its normal operation. Ride Safe
    Cave Contents: 1980 R100RT/Ural Sidecar, 2004 R1200CLC, 2006 HD FSXTI
    Ride Safe

Quote Originally Posted by R1100RS View Post
    my Throttle Position Sensor setting seems to creep up from where I set it after a couple hundred miles or so.

could it be that the TBs / butterflies are getting cleaner after a long trip?

any other suggestions / comments?
    Not sure what you mean. Are you saying your bike idles faster?

the volt meter readings go from 370 to over 400 and she starts running a bit rough / more vibration

The TPS simply converts the throttle plate angle into a voltage by way of a variable resistor. It doesn't care if the throttle bodies are clean, dirty, or clogged. It is simply potentiometers inside a plastic case hooked to the end of the throttle shaft.

I have never noticed any voltage creep but I have never checked because I consider the TPS a set-it-and-forget-it device. I might recheck in 100,000 miles or so,

Two factors might be causing what you have discovered. It is possible the resistance, and hence the voltage, is varying with temperature. It is also possible that there is a spot on the resister coil right at the idle position that is dirty and which changes resistance with temperature.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves