Thread: 4-shoe drum brake

4-shoe drum brake

Interesting photo-documentary on the MAXBMW Heritage Service section website.

It features an "original" 1971 R75/5... 1000cc engine, with four-shoe drum brake. > http://maxbmwmotorcycles.smugmug.com...6074&k=JXTZJrJ

Just curious, can anyone fill us in on this brake set-up? It's certainly not "original" to any other R75 /5 I've seen.

No clooge job here! Looks completely OEM (to me)

Check out the fork brace where the anti-torque strut attaches (note that this is the left side).

N-I-C-E control perch detail...

"It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Lew -

I've seen front drum brakes like this before...can't say where. Reminds me of the setups that were put on some of the early BMW race bikes maybe in the 50s? These would have been works-bikes, supported by factory...not sure that's what OEM means but more about throwing dollars at a bike to win races.

You can google "grimeca roadrace drum brake" and look at images and see quite a few similar setups for bikes, mostly Italian bikes.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Max doesn't claim that bike is restored to original condition. It has a number of non-stock modifications. The Grimeca four shoe brakes are newly manufactured copies of units Grimeca made in pre-disk brake days.
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

not sure that's what OEM means
    Original Equipment Manufacturer.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

advrider.com
    It's a Grimeca 4LS.

I like the brake itself, but I'm not sure if "fits" with the style of the BMW. Looks like a cool bike, though.. aftermarket brake, electrics, bigger engine, even has the aftermarket oil fill valve cover.. I love the mirrors.

Quote Originally Posted by Lmo1131 View Post
    Original Equipment Manufacturer.
    Lew -

I know what OEM stands for, but in my vew of OEM, I take that to mean everyday production type manufacturer, something that you and I can by over the counter. Not something that is a one-off meant for a factory supported racer. That's what I was trying to say...
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!