Thread: 2009 BMW R1200RT - Battery Trickle Charger

Hybrid View

2009 BMW R1200RT - Battery Trickle Charger

Good evening,

Want to put a trickle charger on the battery, but I read some where this may not be the best solution in just taking the red (+) and black (-) and connecting. Does anyone have any guidance in this matter. Sorry for sound silly, but when I purchased the beautiful piece of art, it comes with a price in that there is allot to learn!
    Rick MacPherson
    Success is Not a Destination, But a Journey.
    Accredited Motorcycle Appraiser
    1968 BSA Starfire, 1976 BMW R75/6, 2009 R1200RT

There are a ton of posts/threads about chargers.

I use an Optimate4 on both my 2000 RTP and the 2007 R12RT. Both have powerlet plugs wired direct to the battery. Very simple plug and play and they both stay on the chargers year around. They work great.

They are CANBUS compatible but I prefer to by-pass CANBUS.

If you'd like more information, do a search for Optimate and you'll be reading for a day or so....
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

+1 on the Optimate4. I have only one, but have SAE connectors installed directly to the battery on my bikes and the electric start generator. I use the clips/clamps when I put it on my '65 Pontiac. I just rotate between units, a week at a time on each.
    Gear Up and Ride Safe
    Jim Rogers
    2010 R12GSA aka Heidi
    Yorktown, Va

I use the NON-canbus BMW charger which is a Deltran "Smart" battery Tender rebranded.

You can find the Deltran online for as low as $42.00.

What you may be referring to as an alternative is to have the front or rear socket (or both) rewired directly to your battery. You then can plug the charger directly into the socket without any pigtails on the battery.

The convenience factor is a plus since you don't have to "futz" with the seat whenever you want to go for a ride and when you return home you just plug the charger back into the socket.

The additional advantage is that you can plug heated gear or charge a cell phone or plug other accessories into the socket by--passing the ZFE/CAnbus and not worry about the draw of the accessory.

I have my front socket wired this way to a Centech AP-2 fuse panel which provides power to all my other accessories, ie Clearwater LED's, Zumo 665, and Valentine 1 detector.

By the way I still am using the original battery and it is 4 1/2 years old and still works perfectly. Anytime the bike is parked at home, it is on the charger!
    Last edited by Atomicman52; 10-28-2012 at 11:25 PM.
    "The Older I Get, the Faster I Was"
    '09 Black Metallic Sapphire "Fully Farkled" RT

From the owner's manual ...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

I bought the CANbus charger and yes it is more costly than other chargers but the ease of use to my mind is worth spending more. I have used mine for three years and to date it has worked perfectly.

To view and price compare search www.ascycles.com

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    From the owner's manual ...
    After 4 1/2 years of, in essence direct to battery, (Yes I have a fuseblock) NO problems and my battery is working perfectly still!
    "The Older I Get, the Faster I Was"
    '09 Black Metallic Sapphire "Fully Farkled" RT

If you are plugging your charger into the BMW power outlets (AND they are not wired directly to the battery or to the battery through a fuse panel), then you will need to trick the CANbus to maintain a connection between the BMW power outlet and the battery. To do so, plug your charger into the BMW power outlet either with the bike running or before switching off the ignition and then plug your charger into your wall socket (110v).

I did this for a while until I wired up the outlets through an Eastern Beaver fuse panel to bypass the CANbus. The sequence isn't particularly important - just that you get the electricity flowing from your charger to the BMW power outlet before the CANbus shuts down the connection between BMW power outlet (accessory socket) and the battery.

Some chargers go into float mode when the battery is near fully-charged. If the charger cuts off the power in this mode, the CANbus may sense the lack of power and close the connection to the battery. If this happens, then the battery won't receive a charging current anymore. That's why BMW sells the expensive charger to work with the CANbus to keep the circuitry open to allow charging. BMW also sells a less expensive rebranded Deltran charger to either connect directly to the bike's battery through a fused SAE pigtail (often installed by dealers or customers) or the aforementioned fuse panel (several fuse panel options are available).

Powerlet also sells fused kits to wire the BMW power outlet (accessory socket) directly to the battery. I used two of them through my fuse panel for this purpose to more easily charge the battery and run accessories from the bike power (tire inflator, cell phone charger) when the bike isn't running.

Cheers!
    Chris

2009 BMW R1200RT (Shaun), 2004 MINI Cooper S (Gromit), 2006 BMW X3 (Wallace)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun09 View Post
    If you are plugging your charger into the BMW power outlets (AND they are not wired directly to the battery or to the battery through a fuse panel), then you will need to trick the CANbus to maintain a connection between the BMW power outlet and the battery. To do so, plug your charger into the BMW power outlet either with the bike running or before switching off the ignition and then plug your charger into your wall socket (110v).
    I've seen this on forums before but it's NOT in the owners manual nor is it in the instructions for the BMW charger.

It's not required when using the BMW charger.

I simply plug my charger into my not-running motorcycle at the front power outlet, plug the charger into house electricity, and it maintains my battery just fine.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    I've seen this on forums before but it's NOT in the owners manual nor is it in the instructions for the BMW charger.

It's not required when using the BMW charger.

I simply plug my charger into my not-running motorcycle at the front power outlet, plug the charger into house electricity, and it maintains my battery just fine.
    I knew I had seen it someplace, although it is not in the owners manual. http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=2678 Do not know, but why take a chance. Takes only a second to turn on the key, plug in the charger, and turn off the key.
    Attached Images Attached Images