Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2004 1150 rt abs

I have a 1980 R100RT and a 2003 R1150RT. I certainly would not trade the brakes on my 1150 for the brakes on my R100RT. I love the brakes on my 1150RT. Just my opinion. I'm glad we're all free to choose!

SAM

Quote Originally Posted by samo View Post
    I have a 1980 R100RT and a 2003 R1150RT. I certainly would not trade the brakes on my 1150 for the brakes on my R100RT. I love the brakes on my 1150RT. Just my opinion. I'm glad we're all free to choose!

SAM
    I too own a 1981 R100RT and I wouldn't trade the brakes on the '81 for the brakes on my NON-ABS '04RT either. With or without ABS the brakes on the oilheads beat the airhead brakes, no doubt and no argument there. I am not opposed to ABS brakes only the ones attached to the 1150 oilheads. I like the ABS on my '94 R1100RSL and I know I would like the ABS systems that came after the R1150's. I think the newest versions of ABS is a giant leap forward and I especially like the feature that allows the rider to turn off the ABS system. I also think linking the front to back brake in such a way that application of the front brake also applies pressure to the rear brake is a good thing but not the other way around like on the 1150's.

The long and short is the 1150 ABS system just sucks, imo and a few others as well.
    Jammess

I also own an 81 R100RT and an 03 R1150RT. In my opinion the 1150 is a love/hate feeling with the brakes. Had to do a serious learning curve to even start to feel comfortable at parking lot speed.

There is no feel. I have yet to try the ABS function. The bike stops so fast it's hard to hold on. And the 81 rear disk, well that's another story in itself.

Thanks

Well I just wanted to know if someone had changed the ABS system on these bikes and so for one person has removed it and is fine with it.

Thanks for all the comments

I understand some folks love them and others do not, my query was a technical one.

Dave

Hello again Dave,
    I should say just one more thing about the 1150 ABS brakes and that is if I could have found a way to dis-able or put another way un-link the brakes I would not have opted to go the way I did and remove the complete system. Or if I could have partially dis-abled the link so that when I apply back brakes I would not have engaged the front brake but application of just the front brake would have applied pressure to the rear brake. I don't think it is possible to do this without replacing the modulator or somehow modifying it.
    Jammess

I too love my ABS link assisted 2002 RT. I have over 80000k on the bike and have never experienced a lay down because of the brake system. You do need to be aware of how the system operates and compensate for it.

I am a MSF Rider Couch and use my 2002 RT in teaching the Experienced Rider course including demonstating the infamous box-figure-eight exercise as well as the quick stop techniques. As was said before, it's all in the eye of the beholder, or, how you use them.

I will say that if I had had a better understanding at the time I purchased my '04RT new in '04 of how the brakes actually worked I most likely could have avoided the two mishaps I had. It was the second flop over that resulted in a torn rotator in my right knee that kept me in some pain for about 6 months when I decided to off the ABS system and, to repeat, I'm glad I did. Even BMW saw the light and got rid of that servo assisted fiasco of a braking system with umpteen bleeders with the system open to the atmosphere making annual brake system flushes such fun for the hapless owner. Of course, you could always just take the beast to your all knowing dealer and pay right through the old shnozola (nose) for him to do the job, NOT!
    Jammess

No different than going from non-power steering/brakes to power steering/brakes in a car. You have to be proficient at using both and know which one you're using. I am very pleased with my 04 brakes, and in a different, cro-magnon way, with the much less effective brakes on my airhead. Jetfighter versus sopwith camel.
    R75/6, 2004 R1150RTA.

Quote Originally Posted by 175781 View Post
    No different than going from non-power steering/brakes to power steering/brakes in a car. You have to be proficient at using both and know which one you're using. I am very pleased with my 04 brakes, and in a different, cro-magnon way, with the much less effective brakes on my airhead. Jetfighter versus sopwith camel.
    Jammess

I suppose last-word-itis is tiring. Equally valid opinions don't have to be the same. Lots to learn from different experiences in this and most threads. Yes, even including yours. Otherwise, how would I know what I would be missing if I ripped out my factory braking system? No wiki page for that.
    R75/6, 2004 R1150RTA.

Nickname: Droid
    Perhaps if it was so great BMW would have continued to develop it. But it only lasted about four years.

I don't agree that it is an equivalent to powered brakes on a car. Braking a motorcycle is as much balance as it is application, and anything that can affect balance and stability has to be considered very carefully.

I for one do not like the system and would never buy a BMW so equipped. But that's just me. Old school perhaps, but very eefective at brakes old school.

Quote Originally Posted by 175781 View Post
    I suppose last-word-itis is tiring. Equally valid opinions don't have to be the same. Lots to learn from different experiences in this and most threads. Yes, even including yours. Otherwise, how would I know what I would be missing if I ripped out my factory braking system? No wiki page for that.
    Well, I'm glad you got something of value from my posts. I was through commenting on this thread but I got a question. What would you do if your rather expensive modulator gives up and you need to replace it? Would you consider your bikes market value before spending the big bucks or would you perhaps contemplate a neutering job? Really, if you are happy with your braking system by all means keep it with my blessings. If I still had my modulator I would for sure attempt to sell it to you.
    Jammess

Had an 04RT and loved the brakes. Now wish I had them on my 06Rt.
    Marty - in the western Oregon mountains.'06RT, (gone '04RT, '86 Venture Royal, '81 Yamaha Virago920, '82Suzuki GS1100GK, '76 Suzuki GT750, Triumph 750 Bonneville, BSA Road Rocket 650, 61" Harley knucklehead)

Quote Originally Posted by MPMARTY View Post
    Had an 04RT and loved the brakes. Now wish I had them on my 06Rt.
    Marty

My 2006 1200rt had whizzy brakes does yours not?

They quit the whizzy's in 07

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by davesbmw View Post
    Marty

My 2006 1200rt had whizzy brakes does yours not?

They quit the whizzy's in 07

Dave
    The 06 has a boost feature but not as strong as the 04 was, not as noisy either.
    Marty - in the western Oregon mountains.'06RT, (gone '04RT, '86 Venture Royal, '81 Yamaha Virago920, '82Suzuki GS1100GK, '76 Suzuki GT750, Triumph 750 Bonneville, BSA Road Rocket 650, 61" Harley knucklehead)