Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Dyna beads R1200GS

Striper55

Dyna beads R1200GS

I have a R1200GS with spoke wheels and tubless tirelss....can I use dyna beads in the tires? Thanks

From MARS
    Yes.

I agree that you can use them with no issues. Let us know how you like them.
    '09 BMW 1200 GSA, 2013 BMW 700GS, 2000 Goldwing SE, '09' V Star 950, '09 Honda Rebel,
    '77 Honda 750A. Holding at six til I get new garage built - need more room for more bikes!

TravelsWithBarley.com
    I've been using them for two years in my R12GS with spokes. Absolutely love them!
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

1aretea

Thumbs up

I've used them with Z6's and my favorite Diabol Strada's. The Dyna Beads are constantly re balancing, my front tire dosen't cup any more. Best of all when you change tires, collect the beads and recycle them.

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    If you're gonna use them, keep a tire valve tool in your toolkit. This picture is from a friend. The same thing happened to him twice.

Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

I used them for 4 years and 50,000+ miles in my K1200LT with no problems at all.

I also put them in a friends R1200RT last summer in preparation for Johnson City. Again, no problems.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    If you're gonna use them, keep a tire valve tool in your toolkit. This picture is from a friend. The same thing happened to him twice.

From the Dyna-Bead site:

Do I need filtered valve cores for my motorcycle / scooter / truck?

The purpose of the filtered valve core is to prevent a bead from getting caught in the valve core mechanism. So if your valve stems can accomodate the filtered valve cores, then by all means go ahead and use them.
    Filtered valve cores, however, do not fit a lot of the newer valve stems. They require a seat 1-1/4" down in the stem. If you cannot use them, simply rotate the tire so the valve stem is about the 6:00 position, or give the valve stem a quick shot of air prior to checking pressure.

No interest in them except doing research on them and am considering them.
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

Just a FWIW - Steve, it might be useful to read the Motorcycle Consumer News article, and then letters/replies on Dynabeads. Their conclusion was they are granular snake oil.. doing little of any value. I would tend to agree with them, despite anecdotal claims that they "work".. Dynabead also seemed to think (1) that they'd provided MCN with the product (2) that this entitled them to a positive review. They were wrong on both issues.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Well, still doing my research. I found the MCN article and considering the principal the Dynabeads use, I'm not too sure of the value of the MCN test.

What concerns me more is the disclaimer from Dunlop - I've read it copied but haven't read it on their site yet - too little time - that if you use Dynabeads, you void their warranty.

Obviously, it's going to take some time to make a decision. I'm in no hurry.

Thanks Don.
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    Just a FWIW - Steve, it might be useful to read the Motorcycle Consumer News article, and then letters/replies on Dynabeads. Their conclusion was they are granular snake oil.. doing little of any value. I would tend to agree with them, despite anecdotal claims that they "work".. Dynabead also seemed to think (1) that they'd provided MCN with the product (2) that this entitled them to a positive review. They were wrong on both issues.
    The thing that the article brings out, is that Dynabeads recommends very frequent checking of air pressure. They think (and I concur) that if you check your pressures as frequently as they recommend, that you will have the same net effect with or without them.

IMHO
    -Brian
    Last edited by BrianV; 06-21-2010 at 10:39 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by SteveAikens View Post
    Well, still doing my research. I found the MCN article and considering the principal the Dynabeads use, I'm not too sure of the value of the MCN test.
    Steve,
    I've never been real clear on the "principal" the Dynabeads claim to use. I'm an old physics major - and something about weight moving to the light spot on a rotating mass just doesn't seem to work for me. I believe MCN also had a bit of a problem with that theory..

What concerns me more is the disclaimer from Dunlop - I've read it copied but haven't read it on their site yet - too little time - that if you use Dynabeads, you void their warranty.

Obviously, it's going to take some time to make a decision. I'm in no hurry.

Thanks Don.
    I just have my tires balanced and forgeddaboutit.. but mebbe I'm just old-fashioned.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

That's what I've always done as well Don. However, I have had some tires mounted that didn't get balanced correctly. Being as far from any shops I'd trust my ride to, that means when I get home, I have to fashion up a jig again and take half a day piddling with static balancing until I get it right.

What I'm really looking at this for is the case where that's happened.

Frankly, I think it's not going to be necessary any long anyway - though I would like to know more about the beads. A buddy that's only 350 miles from me bought a Coats 200 and the Coats balancing machine. He's my hero...
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

I too must be old-fashioned. I change my own tires and actually enjoy relaxing out in the shop. Even balancing tires really doesn't take much time and effort. I'll stick with the weights.

Now if could just get rid of this baker cyist in my leg so I could do something with my bikes.
    '09 BMW 1200 GSA, 2013 BMW 700GS, 2000 Goldwing SE, '09' V Star 950, '09 Honda Rebel,
    '77 Honda 750A. Holding at six til I get new garage built - need more room for more bikes!

Curmudgeon in training
    I've been using them for two years. It's only anecdotal, but they seem to work pretty well to me. I've tried with and without them. Definitely smoother with them.

Been a while since I took physics, but from a physics standpoint, don't the dynabeads act just like a "dry" fluid in a centrifuge? When the tire rotates, they spread across the entire tire with a predisposition to the lighter side of the tire. The imbalance in torque causes the heavy side of the tire/wheel to "race" ahead of the fluid beads. The inertia from the imbalance causes the beads to migrate to the lighter side of the tire until it balances. Like I said, been a long time.
    Last edited by alzyck; 06-22-2010 at 02:28 PM.