Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: I LOVE Sweet Corn

I LOVE Sweet Corn

And it is that time of year again. I don't know of anything that brings me more pleasure than home grown sweet corn and tomatoes. A delightful combo on their own or with your favorite grilled dead thing.

Wiltse Farm Produce & Greenhouse is located on the far west side of Kane County, IL just before you hit the DeKalb County line just east of County Line Rd on Rt. 38.
    They have a great selection of vegetables, not just the aforementioned and almost everything is grown right there. Ask and they will tell you what is and isn't.
    Peppers, beans, all the delights of summer and it makes for a very enjoyable quick hop on the bike to fetch these.

A word of caution, currently Rt. 38 is going through a much needed makeover so you may want to avoid it. If coming from the East you might take Fabyan Parkway over to Elburn (Hi Jon Diaz!) and then wiggle your way west to County Line then North to 38 and take a right and they will be on the South side of the road.

Bon Appetit!

But for those of you who don't want to jaunt all the way out to the West edge of nowhere..... they are always at the Saturday AM Farmers Market in Naperville!
    (As are a lot of other fine produce providers.)

Oh you are so right. Please, don't go! Stay as near to the land of TGI McFunsters as possible. Leaves more of the good stuff for me.
    Not to mention a nice little ride on the back country-ish roads.

I'm sorry, an outburst of temper that I shall endeavor to curtail in future.
    I guess the West edge of Nowhere is exactly what I want.
    Last edited by wezul; 07-27-2009 at 05:52 PM. Reason: My bad!

Pusser's Pyrate Society Zygmund's Avatar
    The sweet corn stands with the farmers children are out up here now and the early corn has been wonderful. Saturday morning and I point the RT towards the land of cheese and go looking for a family stand and make a great morning ride a shopping experience that my bride could never duplicate at Cub Foods!

'02 R1150RT

Same here in Texas... except the corn is all dried up.. drier than a popcorn pfart.

bunkyone
    Hey all; Yep, NOTHING beats fresh sweet corn and vegies' NOTHING!! Around here, it's been available for a couple of weeks, and I have made it a steady diet. How the good Lord could provide something sooooo.... good tasting and nurishing at the same time is proof (if some is needed) of his caring nature. Eat up, enjoy, give thanks. Vaya con Dios, Dutch.

RTFlyer
    Fresh locally grown cantalope and watermelon here! It made a great breakfast for me this morning!

Buying local. I love to see it! We're a smart bunch.

Fresh melon, eh?
    That reminds me of that little stand at the International in Johnson City.
    Those girls had some real nice melons.
    The fruit was good, too.

As soon as I get the GPS on the F800ST I will have to take a test blast.
    To Wiltse's, of course!
    Last edited by wezul; 07-30-2009 at 12:47 AM. Reason: GPS is installed, I ride for corn tomorrow!

EyeBiker
    It's even more convenient to walk to the vegetable garden in the back lot and harvest/shuck a few ears and toss them into the waiting pot of boiling water.

That saves the motorcycle riding time for "The Snake", 5 miles from home.

CalMil

NOYCE!

My mother-in-law, who has gone to that big cornfield in the sky, used to can that sweet Nebraska corn and we'd eat it all winter for a taste of summer in Feb. God, I miss her canned corn...and herself.
    Terence
    R75/5 R100RS K100RS R1100S

jeremell

Born in Corn by Mr. Blink

Tractor, tractor pull the plow - city people get me down
    Live in concrete, live in lies - living where the birds, don't fly
    Doctor, doctor tell me how - how can I feel so down?
    Want to go and get some air - breathe it in.....then let it out

Chorus:
    Corn, corn, corn - born in corn (repeat)

Dirty dirt on my skin, Midwest living ain't no sin
    nothing wrong with flannel shirts, baseball caps and dirty words
    I say f*%k and I say ****, and I say there's no harm in it
    I don't care if we don't agree but you better not throw your trash by me
    {I'm trying to grow some corn, God dammit !}

Chorus {dig it}

Love the ground, love the Earth - it's the only one that I know
    If you can find a better place, tell me and I'll surely go
    Plant a seed, watch it grow - Gonna reap what we sow
    I don't care of you don't agree - I don't bother you so, don't bother me

Chorus

Here is a list of 'corn' words that we use in the song Born in Corn.
    (Not all in the same night !)

corn bread | corndog | Paul Corning | Cornelious Bennett | Cornell University | candy corn | children of the corn | corny | corn whiskey | acorn | the white cornado | cornacopia | parents of the children of the corn | corn silk | corn palace | Wiscornsin | mission corntrol | Corn in the USA | cornfusion | soft corn | niblets | cornerstone | Popcorn | unicorn | grandparents of the children of the corn | corn tortilla | Hey buddy, wanna buy some corn? | cornclusion | cornflakes | 2nd cousins of the children of the corn | corn field | corn sex | safe corn sex | corn between two lovers | Live Corn and Prosper

And I've been eating green beans and cukes from my garden since getting back from the Rallys. Can't wait for the tomatoes!

Quote Originally Posted by womanridge View Post
    And I've been eating green beans and cukes from my garden since getting back from the Rallys. Can't wait for the tomatoes!
    Our corn isn't ready yet, but we've pickled the beets and made Chow (green tomato relish); ate up the lettuce; picked tons of yellow and green beans; been eatin' on the taters, peppers, cukes and cherry tomoatoes. The carrots, melons and Brussels Sprouts aren't ready yet, either. Our onions and garlic didn't make it.

This is our first garden!

Nuttin' wrong with livin' in the Midwest! I literally live on a acre plot, right smack-dab in the middle of corn and bean fields, along a dirt road. Closest neighbor is a quarter mile away, either direction. We buy our beef and pork from local farmers!

Love it!
    Godzilla!
    '85 K100 "ZoomZoomZoom"
    '71 R75/5 "Zippy"

Quote Originally Posted by wezul View Post
    And it is that time of year again. I don't know of anything that brings me more pleasure than home grown sweet corn and tomatoes. A delightful combo on their own or with your favorite grilled dead thing.

Wiltse Farm Produce & Greenhouse is located on the far west side of Kane County, IL just before you hit the DeKalb County line just east of County Line Rd on Rt. 38.
    They have a great selection of vegetables, not just the aforementioned and almost everything is grown right there. Ask and they will tell you what is and isn't.
    Peppers, beans, all the delights of summer and it makes for a very enjoyable quick hop on the bike to fetch these.

A word of caution, currently Rt. 38 is going through a much needed makeover so you may want to avoid it. If coming from the East you might take Fabyan Parkway over to Elburn (Hi Jon Diaz!) and then wiggle your way west to County Line then North to 38 and take a right and they will be on the South side of the road.

Bon Appetit!
    I knew there was something corny about you.
    I love it too, we had it last night.
    19 BMWMOA Nationals under my belt, and I have no idea what I am doing.