Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Question about 1981 BMW (Rennsport?)

Thanks Mark and Kent. Am off to see it this weekend.

According to Snowbum's site, the 17-digit VIN started in 1980 with 1980/1981 being a transition year.

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/IDnumbrs.htm

As indicated, the VIN provided represents a 1981 bike with the "B" in the 10th position.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

doktortim
    Well I'll be danged. Here is someone selling a 92/3 blue silver RS as a "Rennsport 30" spezial edition. Begins to look to me that "Rennsport" is made of whole cloth by charlatans and those who will buy into something claimed special and worth more than market.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BMW-R-100...item1e73f3dfe1

I do find that Ian Falloon mentions these bikes and shows a picture exactly like the one on ebay.au. Ian calls out 30 Rennsport special editions, indicating to me that 30 of them were built. The bikes did have the plaque as shown above the key. The VIN on this bike indicates it was built in May 1992...that information is from Phil Hawksley's site which differs from what the seller has indicated.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

doktortim
    Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    The bikes did have the plaque as shown above the key.
    I never blew up all the photos before. Sure looks like a custom plaque. Certainly I know of no special production BMW that does not have something unique and known to distunguish it from all others.

But that has not one whit to do with the OP example of a decade or more earlier.

Here is my Bitburger limited special R1200R. If the decal will add a few bucks it is for sale, decal that is, not the bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well... Looks like we've all settled on the fact that this is a nice custom painted bike. As people in the forum have urged, "if you like it, then buy it."

So I did.

Very proud owner now! Just popped on the cafe style single seat tonight. Needs a fair amount of deferred maintenance work. Tires are 15 years old. Not sure when the last time the tank was cleaned, carbs overhauled etc etc. But she's a good clean specimen and should be fun to ride. Esp after she gets K75S handlebars added. No side-stand on it now, so a brown sidestand is in order... And of course some white saddlebags to complete the faux Motorsport look.

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Just my opinion but I like the way the black bags conrtrast with the white bike. Just take a can of Pledge and shine em up if so inclined.

That RS looks awesome. Almost as nice as my '82 red with black smoke!
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Wanderer View Post
    Just my opinion but I like the way the black bags conrtrast with the white bike. Just take a can of Pledge and shine em up if so inclined.

That RS looks awesome. Almost as nice as my '82 red with black smoke!
    Me too, leave them on the bike. The white ones yellow after awhile, and IMHO they add too much white.

Congrats on the new ride.

We love our RS's, yes we do.

As others have stated, I, too, would stick with the black bags. But, hey, it's your bike do whatever floats your boat!
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia

Nickname: Droid
    Motosport or Rennsport, its still a fine looking piece.

I agree the front lower grill is probably from an earlier model. The lower gril on my 76 R100RS looks the same (though in the classis silver/blue color scheme).

And yes, the RS did come out in Europe in 76. My bike is a UK model brought to the state by the previous owner. VIN #6080414

doktortim
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberdoggie View Post
    Well... Looks like we've all settled on the fact that this is a nice custom painted bike. As people in the forum have urged, "if you like it, then buy it."

So I did.

Very proud owner now.
    Congratulations, sure looks like top 10% as to condition generally. Just take the time to do the maintenance stem to stern and ferret out the weaknesses from sitting for too many years.

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by doktortim View Post
    Well I'll be danged. Here is someone selling a 92/3 blue silver RS as a "Rennsport 30" spezial edition. Begins to look to me that "Rennsport" is made of whole cloth by charlatans and those who will buy into something claimed special and worth more than market.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BMW-R-100...item1e73f3dfe1
    Three or four years ago I saw one of these at the "Chicken Rally" in AL. I still think it was a limited edition "Motorsport" bike.

doktortim
    Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    Three or four years ago I saw one of these at the "Chicken Rally" in AL. I still think it was a limited edition "Motorsport" bike.
    That is just a stock 79RS, dark blue metallic/light silver metallic. Not a limited edition at all. I like it better than the motosport, but just by a bit.

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by doktortim View Post
    That is just a stock 79RS, dark blue metallic/light silver metallic. Not a limited edition at all. I like it better than the motosport, but just by a bit.
    Sorry, I got mixed up. For whatever reason, I thought that this color scheme was the one we talked about as the "Rennsport". My bad. As soon as a thread has 3 or more pages, I have a hard time following the discussion. Too much MTV....