Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Question about 1981 BMW (Rennsport?)

Related question re white BMW

Still waiting for the VIN. Going to see it on the 11th.

Has anyone ever seen the krausers that were made for the 78 Motorsport for sThis bike comes with Black bags but to complete the look - in my opinion - the white bags would be stunning. Are they just black bags resprayed white or made white through and through?

white through and through....

I have never cared much for the white bags, but on this bike... c'est magnifique!

"It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdoggie View Post
    Still waiting for the VIN. Going to see it on the 11th.

Has anyone ever seen the krausers that were made for the 78 Motorsport for sThis bike comes with Black bags but to complete the look - in my opinion - the white bags would be stunning. Are they just black bags resprayed white or made white through and through?
    There were simply white and black bags available. Nothing specifically made for the Motorsport. They are white plastic, not painted.

Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quote Originally Posted by brewmeister View Post
    As reference my 81 rt had the oil cooler with the enclosed fairing front grill, I put the shark grill on it and removed the oil cooler.
    Lots of people blamed the more enclosed grill for diode board failures, but the problem was poorly made diode boards.

In addition, while the Nikasil cylinders were fabulous and light years better than the earlier iron cylinders, they did dump lots of heat to the rider. Many "shade tree engineers" felt adding the bar-type grill would address the heat problem. If it did it was hardly measurable. One sees lots of these bikes running no lowers at all for the same reason.
    Kent Christensen

Quote Originally Posted by Lmo1131 View Post
    white through and through....

I have never cared much for the white bags, but on this bike... c'est magnifique!
    The blue seat looked pretty good, too.
    Kent Christensen

No longer a member here
    Looking at the red stripe, I think someone confused the terms "Motorsport" with "Rennsport" edition. It looks to me that the bike could be an attempted upgrade to "Motorsport", however, not exactly that.
    The term "Rennsport" was used by BMW in the late 50s early 60s for the race bikes with the towershaft valve drive.
    There is always the possibility that certain specials were made for certain markets.
    One example is the elusive R100S "Motorsport" for the U.S. that was made for Butler & Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    Looking at the red stripe, I think someone confused the terms "Motorsport" with "Rennsport" edition. It looks to me that the bike could be an attempted upgrade to "Motorsport", however, not exactly that.
    The term "Rennsport" was used by BMW in the late 50s early 60s for the race bikes with the towershaft valve drive.
    Mike - What does lend a smidgen of credibility to the possibility of "Rennsport" is that according to the "Original BMW Air-Cooled Boxer Twins 1950-1996" book, they produced 30 Rennsport editions in 1992 for the R100RS. Each one had a numbered plaque. That model was the two tone blue and silver style. But nowhere does anyone list a Rennsport in the 80s, and certainly not one with the racing stripe down the tank and to the seat as a riff on the Motorsport style from 1978... I've resigned myself that this is just a cool custom paint job and not a factory special edition. But waiting for the VIN anyhow... - mark

It is a beautiful bike custom or not.

doktortim
    Quote Originally Posted by klumbsh1 View Post
    It is a beautiful bike custom or not.
    That really is the bottom line. At every rally is see several beautifully done customs, some just paint but others that are Frankenbeemers assembled with love by skillful Airheads. I like them as much as some Factory Specials in original fit and fiddle condition.

it's great to hear that about the appreciation for the custom enhancements. Most of my vintage vehicle experience comes from the old Volvo groupies. (I have an '71 1800e Volvo - a la 'The Saint' - which incidentally he also rode an R100RS as his motorcycle of choice) The resale market and value of the Volvos are all about the original color, accessories, authenticity of the modifications etc. Good to see the spirit amongst the airhead community is appreciation for the bike as art-form rather than slavish recreation of originality.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdoggie View Post
    it's great to hear that about the appreciation for the custom enhancements. Most of my vintage vehicle experience comes from the old Volvo groupies. (I have an '71 1800e Volvo - a la 'The Saint' - which incidentally he also rode an R100RS as his motorcycle of choice) The resale market and value of the Volvos are all about the original color, accessories, authenticity of the modifications etc. Good to see the spirit amongst the airhead community is appreciation for the bike as art-form rather than slavish recreation of originality.
    yeah, but for resale- that same rule ALWAYS applies, regardless of brand. aftermarket goodies are worth (very few) pennies on the $ in terms of resale.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

So for those curious. The VIN is: WBM043704B6225064

Thx, Mark

A USA version R100RS manufactured September 1980 according to realoem.com

A 1981 model year bike, then.

Enter only 6225064
    Kent Christensen

Useful VIN Lookup Links

Here are links to the most commonly referenced website that provide model/year information on BMWs:

realoem - enter last 7 digits of VIN in the box at top:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do

Max BMW - enter last 7 digits of VIN in the box at the bottom:

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/PartsFiche.aspx

As lkchris says, the subject bike's VIN says it is a 1981 Model Year R100RS produced for the US market that was manufactured in September 1980. The "Australian version of the bike that was a Rennsport edition that was upgraded from 70(71?) to 77hp" claim does not seem to fit with the information from the decoded VIN - nice bike though.
    Mark

Current - 1974 TR5T : 1993 R100R : 1994 R100RT ~ Past - 11# 1970s BSA/Triumph Singles & Twins : 2# 1970s CZ 125s : 1# 1985 BMW R65 : 1# 1976 Moby X7

Beemermark

Vin numbers

The current standard for VIN numbers didn't start until around 1983 or 84. I had an '81 RT that was titled (new) as an '81. When I tried toget a new title in another state they insisted it was a 1980 (this was in the early 90's). The DMV didn't care what the original title said, they went according to the VIN and the VIN was a 1980 model. I had to write to BMW and get an official letter to get the state to correct the title.