Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Freakin' Leaves

Wow, what a discussion! One of my son's just moved to Knoxville,TN & there are certain days they come by & pick up your leaves (from the street) & certain days they PU the branches & certain days they PU the trash. Is not this common for those that live in that "dignified " way of city folks?
    I was telling my BIL how isn't it silly how I read,r.e., "city folks" complaining about the city being late to pick up sticks & he gets all riled up saying "I pay a lot of taxes & expect that service!", me having expounded as to how "sure isn't anybody picks up my mess out in the boonies"!
    All in the expectations.
    I really don't see the rift here either as to people blowing leaves/grass on a road or street when I live in a area of millions of acres of trees with leaves. Here @ my woods home we just blow them down the hill further into the woods -no taxes, no worry. FWIW my private road is deep in leaves & a bit white this a.m..

leaves in the road are a simple fact of fall life, so I slow down and scan hard for deer

Grass in the summer is more treacherous. It is just a slick, but there is no seasonal warning . Then there are the morons that do not even stop mowing when traffic is passing pelting them with grass and possible rocks.
    Rod

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Bag them and send them to the landfill? That doesn't make sense.

The leaves will decompose many years before the bags.

As I recall, the city I worked for did collect yard waste seperately for some time. They took it to the regional wastewater plant, mixed it with processed sludge ,composted it awhile in huge piles turned a lot , then SOLD it to regional nurseries and home centers. Dillo Dirt is still available, they are still at it I suppose.

I move the leaves from point A,B,C to point D with a blower, a truck,Mule , or wheelbarrow maybe once a year....about now it seems. I maintain maybe 3/4 acre of our 6 acre space and we have a lot of big trees. I compost it or on occasion still burn them...harder with the long lasting burn ban we had. I prefer nature to take care of it, but some years it is crazy thick with leaves and the piles get huge.

As far as riding in them...once you let your senses relax and realize they are not rocks or small animals...Roll on! Just spent a week and a half in the National Forests of NW Arkansas...leaves were plentiful and moving. Grass can be bad depending on what it is sitting on...have had bicycle incidents due to that.

I also don't get the non common sense folks exhibit when you walk,ride,drive near anyone using a mower and looking right at you. Dude(tte), stop for a minute would you?

I have knocked a windowpane from it's viewable state more than once with my mowers and weedeaters since I live on a rockpile as well as being pelted in and on vehicles...it's kinda scary passing that mower when you see all the junk flying out of the discharge...especially when that is a gang of highway mowers
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

In my town, we rake the leaves to the curb and the borough vacuums them every couple of days. .
    Wish we had that in our town.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Bag them and send them to the landfill? That doesn't make sense.

The leaves will decompose many years before the bags.
    Towns that let you send leaves to the land fill usually require you to buy large paper bags that decompose fast.
    In our town the city has a large lot where you can drop off your leaves and if you have them in plastic bags, you must empty the leaves out and take the plastic bags home.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Wish we had that in our town.
    Sometimes, you get to be the lucky guy......
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Quote Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
    leaves in the road are a simple fact of fall life, so I slow down and scan hard for deer

Grass in the summer is more treacherous. It is just a slick, but there is no seasonal warning . Then there are the morons that do not even stop mowing when traffic is passing pelting them with grass and possible rocks.
    Rod
    I don't think you are seeing the picture of the leaves being raked and or blown into the street. These are not loose, one layer thick, but whole yard worth in strips sometimes 1-6 inches deep running the whole length of said property. Every vehicle driving by stretches the piles further up and down the road.
    Last edited by junkjohn; 11-13-2012 at 02:39 PM.
    John Simonds
    2008 R 1200 GSA
    1975 850 Norton Roadster
    If it ain"t broke... fix it till it is.

Ode to the bags of leaves

This discussion reminds me of a "training event" about 4 years ago. Early one morning, (about 4 am) while riding to work in the dark, I noticed a black plastic bag of leaves that had been set on the side of the road for pick up, only it had rolled into the road. Black Bag of Leaves on a Black Road, surround by the inky "Blackness" of 4 A.M. darkness equals, the last second reaction skills taught my MSF and the maneuverability of all that sport touring has to offer....
    2005 R1200RT
    BMWMOA # 143779
    "Positive Habit Transfer is no substitute for Situational Awareness."

Thumbs down

Seems the gist of this thread is as much the ignorance, the complete lack of understanding, & manners, combined with a sense of self-importance- many of our fellow citizens exhibit regularly.

This is the same self-importance that says, " I'm cutting you off, because my needs supercede your supposed ownership of the road space you occupy" .

The leaves, the grass, the snow? Secondary subject matter, IMO.
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World