Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: MOA Email Newsletter on group riding

Quote Originally Posted by BCKRIDER View Post
    I have to confess I've never been on a "charity ride" and don't even understand the concept. Giving to those in need is good and I do it. Just don't understand how riding a motorcycle in a group benefits those who really could use some benefit. Perhaps someone could enlighten me.
    You have to pay to go on the ride, and that money goes to a charity.

I few years ago our town had a charity ride to raise money for our new Hospice House. I really didn't want to go on a large group ride, but wanted to donate, so I stopped in at the Hospice and gave them a check directly.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    You have to pay to go on the ride, and that money goes to a charity.

I few years ago our town had a charity ride to raise money for our new Hospice House. I really didn't want to go on a large group ride, but wanted to donate, so I stopped in at the Hospice and gave them a check directly.
    So, correct me if I am wrong, Yiou pay money which goes to a charity which you would like to support for the chance to ride in a large group of riders whose skills are unknown to you? Hmmm. How does the group ride garner donations from non-riders? Or is this simply a way for MC outlaws or wannabees to put on a good face?

I guess I still don't get the ride/bike/walk/run for dollars idea. Clearly I'm retarded since all of them are so prevalent. I clearly understand the idea of setting oneself a challenge. I just don't get why people should donate to a particular charity because one does so.

Still seeking clarity.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS

Quote Originally Posted by BCKRIDER View Post
    So, correct me if I am wrong, Yiou pay money which goes to a charity which you would like to support for the chance to ride in a large group of riders whose skills are unknown to you? Hmmm. How does the group ride garner donations from non-riders? Or is this simply a way for MC outlaws or wannabees to put on a good face?

I guess I still don't get the ride/bike/walk/run for dollars idea. Clearly I'm retarded since all of them are so prevalent. I clearly understand the idea of setting oneself a challenge. I just don't get why people should donate to a particular charity because one does so.

Still seeking clarity.
    They're all different, but most rides have a participation fee that includes a meal at the end and door prizes donated by friends of the charity. Door prizes may be awarded by drawing or by high/low hand on the poker/games that the riders did at the stops.

OTOH, the CMA often participates in these types of events by serving the meal at the end. I know some of our organization will ride with but don't drink along the way. Our hope is to improve lives by being an effective witness that motorcycling doesn't require alcohol or bad behavior and can serve a higher purpose.

When I have ridden in CMA chapter rides or rides sponsored by a CMA chapter, there is always a pre-ride briefing for all attendees and a number of chapter members that have pre-ridden the route and serve as lead/sweep. Etiquette, riding position and group signals are always part of the briefing. The sweep stays with anyone that leaves the group to provide assistance. I wish more clubs/organizations would be as conscientious - I frequently find that most groups are terrible to ride with, usually due to bad attitude and alcohol (which never go well together).

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    Although as an MSF instructor, I can teach Group Riding (4-Hr. classroom block), I rarely see such principles adhered to by most riders.

I like Ted's approach to the issue.
    +2. The best advise is "Ride your own ride". I also like to ride sweep position if I end up in a group ride. It keeps all the excitement in front of me so I can avoid it if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by gfspencer View Post
    I've done a few Edelweiss Tours. By the end of the day my nerves were shot . . . so many different riders with so many different styles. The next time I ride in Europe I'll ride alone.
    This is why you really do need to know who you are riding with. I will not ride with some groups or individuals, nor will I scuba dive with some individuals or dive operators. You very quickly get to know who is a danger to themselves and others. It is not worth getting hurt to associate.
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288