Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Tired of riding?

I have to admit that the adjustment to retirement was surprisingly more difficult than I expected. We all have so many dreams about what we'll do when we finally cut the leash.

And on the whole I'm finally enjoying it so much more. It was just a matter of finding new routines. Coffee and the paper ( out on the deck when the weather cooperates ), the gym for an hour or two 3 times a week, meeting friends for lunch or dinner a few times. And then of course some fishing or hunting, a round of golf, photo excursions and some rides.

It's all good, I'm just surprised by my riding. I'm thinking that in the Spring I'll probably get the urge again. I'm already looking at maps and daydreaming of destinations so it's probably not over yet!

I worked Carpentry and Home Building for nearly 30 years, and Fire Fighting for 25 so I understand about finding good help these days! Holy Crap these kids are out there.
    Ride Safe,
    Bob
    '12 R1200RT

Got a 19 yr old coming Friday.We'll see how that works. Get of your butt(so to speak) & ride to MX with me this winter!!!

Good luck ! Maybe he'll turn out to be the cream of the crop instead of the cream of the crap! Mexico sounds like a great winter trip!
    Ride Safe,
    Bob
    '12 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by Firenailer View Post
    Well here's the thing, I've been doing this since I was a kid and I think I may have finally lost my moto mojo after 45+ years of bikes. Strangest thing, all I've ever wanted to do was ride, tour and live the motorcycle life.

Now that I've retired and riding is available to me whenever I want to go, I seem to have lost the desire and interest. It's nearing the end of the season here in the North East, and after nearly 6000 miles of day trips and tours this season, the last few rides have just kind of been going through the motions. I often find myself thinking I'd rather play golf or go fishing!

Have you ever felt that it might be over?
    Not over yet, but I can see the end approaching...

Next summer will be my 50th riding motorcycles, I've had some damned good times and really appreciate how the experiences have enriched my life.

But...I do find less and less interest as the years go by. It's also become a bit physically challenging (after 9 heart surgeries) to the point that I've pretty much become a fair weather rider. Living on the west side of the Puget Sound, that results in a pretty short season.

So, I'm currently thinking that I'll attend the national rally in Salem next year, then put some serious consideration in to selling my 11S. I'd much rather quit on my own terms rather than be 'forced' into the decision.

OTOH, the bike is completely paid for, so maybe I'll just keep it in the garage as a decorative piece! In all my years of riding, this bike is by far the best machine I've ever had....

Cheers!
    Bill Johnston

NORTHCOUNTRY
    Bob; Understand your feelings. Riding a bike since 1968. Also now riding a 1100 Rt. This bike is great for travel but a little short on soul. Took a short break due to work but also reviving a 77 100/7. Winters are long in the ADK mountains so I have 4 months to complete. Now crazy to ride the old airhead. Advice: try a different bike; something that moves the spirit. Good luck.

NORTHCOUNTRY
    Wow; been reading the posts in reply to Bob's disinterest dilemma. Seems like a trend here of retired carpenters and firefighters. Me too but also EMT and 5 years til I even think of retiring. The advice was great; take a break, try something different and stop with the pressure to ride. We all do this for fun (Unless someone can tell me how to make a living riding a bike) so if its not fun... why?

Interesting...I'd not noticed that demographic. I've never been a carpenter, (but my step-dad was), but I did manage 26 years in the fire service....
    Bill Johnston

Over 50 years riding and retired 6 years. Took me a while to realize I am retired and not on holiday.
    Not as gung ho for short trips but have taken a couple of long ones (8 weeks and 3 weeks) and didnt want to quit.
    I think in the future I might get a smaller bike ( have an 1150 gs now). Maybe a Royal Enfield.
    Martin. BMW MOA Ambassador.17748
    BMW MOA Charter, Life member.
    Valley BMW Riders. British Columbia.

Smile

I've put in my request to retire effective 28 Dec 2012. After the Rally in Salem, OR I will probably look into a lighter ride maybe the new 800GT. Spare time will be at a premium as the SO has a large job jar but I can see several opportunities for 3>7 day trips up to TN, N GA, NC, WV, IN, OH, and VA. Can't wait for the New Year. I started riding in 1968 and the desire to ride has increased over the last few years. I hope to make the most of it. RIDE SAFE
    Cave Contents: 1980 R100RT/Ural Sidecar, 2004 R1200CLC, 2006 HD FSXTI
    Ride Safe

Rp - Congrats on the upcoming retirement! Thanks for your service.

OldBeemer - Yeah there seems to be a bunch of us here! Love the 'Dacks, I've been looking at houses up there on and off for awhile now. What a beautiful part of the Country to live, I'm envious! Do you follow Joe's thread in the ADV site "The adirondacks and beyond" in the day tripper section?

That guy is a magician with a camera!
    Ride Safe,
    Bob
    '12 R1200RT

Good advice everyone, and thanks. Maybe its just a phase, I found myself looking at maps and planning routes to Gettysburg, and checking the Blue Ridge Pkwy. brochure for distances and campground stops to continue on a springtime trip down to Asheville...

I think I will park it for awhile though, maybe I just need a break. I do find that the RT doesn't excite me very much, so that might be part of what's going on. While it's a great motorcycle for touring, it just doesn't have a lot of soul.

Anyway, thanks for the replies!
    Yeah, riding a bike with some pizazz might help immensely. Of course you don't want to sacrifice too much comfort for trips, but maybe if you had another bike to rip around town on, or for day trips out into the local country lanes?

A late model (or vintage) Triumph would be great for this purpose... just to provide one example. Save the Big RT for distance riding and rallies. I was looking at (& drooling over) a new Triumph Sprint- but wound up with a 2002 K1200RS- because I knew my GF could/would ride on it, where I had no idea if she'd get on the Sprint. Maybe a Sport/Tourer would bring some excitement back into your ride? There are PLENTY of older bikes (and they don't have to be TOO old) for sale at any given moment. A late 90s or early 2000s model isn't going to break the bank, but might just renew the spirit.
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World

Great Thread, Great Input. . .

+1 on getting an Airhead to play with -- both for riding and wrenching.

Small/medium size bike idea: Excellent, and you might find that wrestling it around the garage, etc., is a LOT easier than that RT. I've found that, as I age, one of the hardest things is just moving the bike(s) around the garage. No matter how hard we try, our "core" strength is going to diminish, thus reducing our ability to handle larger, heavier bikes, even w/o a short inseam. Perhaps a subtle thing, but no less real for that.

Retirement, a/k/a "Entire-ment" -- I've been "at" this for almost 12 years now, and it is something SO vastly different from a working life as to be impossible to describe to a working person. Trust me on this -- entirely different, and it may take a couple of years before the wonderment fully sinks in. As others have suggested, give it some time before making precipitous decisions (like selling your baby) -- you're in a very different space now versus the working life, and new interests and activities will ebb and flow according to the rules of the universe; impossible to predict.

It's the What Is, As Is.

Walking Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Eagle View Post
    +1 on getting an Airhead to play with -- both for riding and wrenching.

Small/medium size bike idea: Excellent, and you might find that wrestling it around the garage, etc., is a LOT easier than that RT. I've found that, as I age, one of the hardest things is just moving the bike(s) around the garage. No matter how hard we try, our "core" strength is going to diminish, thus reducing our ability to handle larger, heavier bikes, even w/o a short inseam. Perhaps a subtle thing, but no less real for that.

It's the What Is, As Is.

Walking Eagle
    Hey brother, have you ever tried Pilates? it's specifically geared towards increasing and maintaining core strength. Never too late to get into it, dontcha know.

OK Hijack over- back to the thread....
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World

Have you ever felt that it might be over?
    Unless you can hit the road for a month of touring and see new places, day rides around the patch gets to be a bit boring after a while. In fact, I haven't but a single kilometer on my local motorcycles in three summers. The Alps are the reason, and after eighteen straight summers there, I'm not bored yet...I doubt I ever will be.

One Man Wolfpack Kent Niederhofer's Avatar

Tired of Riding

Maybe you need a 25-year old girlfriend that enjoys motorcycling as much as you once did to keep you interested? Might help to keep your motor running!

Kent