View Poll Results: Have you had at least ONE fuel strip fail?

Voters
516. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES - 2005 model year

28 5.43%
  • YES - 2006 model year

19 3.68%
  • YES - 2007 model year

60 11.63%
  • YES - 2008 model year

70 13.57%
  • YES - 2009 model year

95 18.41%
  • YES - 2010 model year

40 7.75%
  • YES - 2011 model year (R1200R only I think..)

17 3.29%
  • YES - Multiple fuel strip failures - please note model/year in a comment

39 7.56%
  • NO - fuel strip failure. Please note year/model in a comment

184 35.66%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel strip poll

Here we go again number 8

Number eight
    I have already listed two bikes with multiple fuel strip failures,here is another one.
    We have had this 2008 R1200R for a few years and up until two and one half years ago we have replaced 7 seven stripson it. six of these in one year.

We were on a short ride today and as leaving home the bike's engine quit running, just shut off and forced my wife to pull off and restart it.
    She stated that the fuel gauge started going nut's again and showed low fuel but also showed 200 miles remaining on mileage calculator.

We have lots of experience with strip failures but none that caused the engine to cut off and quit running.
    It started right up and ran fine the rest of the trip but the strip is dead once again.
    Yes just after the two year warranty expired.

Has anyone had this occur to them when their strip failed?

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davesbmw View Post
    Number eight
    I have already listed two bikes with multiple fuel strip failures,here is another one.
    We have had this 2008 R1200R for a few years and up until two and one half years ago we have replaced 7 seven stripson it. six of these in one year.

We were on a short ride today and as leaving home the bike's engine quit running, just shut off and forced my wife to pull off and restart it.
    She stated that the fuel gauge started going nut's again and showed low fuel but also showed 200 miles remaining on mileage calculator.

We have lots of experience with strip failures but none that caused the engine to cut off and quit running.
    It started right up and ran fine the rest of the trip but the strip is dead once again.
    Yes just after the two year warranty expired.

Has anyone had this occur to them when their strip failed?
    No connection between what the fuel sender says and the bike running. When the first one failed on my wife's bike, she asked me on the intercom if the bike will stop running when the display got to zero miles.
    It was just a coincidence. These engines are also noted for just dying...no reason (sort of). Usually we have had that happen when the weather and the bike was hot.
    BMWMotorcycles, fun when they're running...
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

Engine cut out

Quote Originally Posted by cjack View Post
    No connection between what the fuel sender says and the bike running. When the first one failed on my wife's bike, she asked me on the intercom if the bike will stop running when the display got to zero miles.
    It was just a coincidence. These engines are also noted for just dying...no reason (sort of). Usually we have had that happen when the weather and the bike was hot.
    I agree that there should be no connection it is just weird that the fuel strip failed at the exact same time.
    We have owned more hex heads,cam heads, oil heads, airheads than the law should allow and have never had on just die like that.?
    Thankfully my 2012 GS has a float.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by lbarbee View Post
    FWIW, my dealer said methanol additives etch thru the strip where the air/fuel level meet in tank. I am not a chemist. He said always store bike full. I.e. strip not exposed to air. No failure since.
    This is a scientific sample size of 1.
    My dealer told me the same thing. I was also told the US is only country that uses ethanol.

Pete
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2
    Pete
    2010 R1200RT

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 56223 View Post
    My dealer told me the same thing. I was also told the US is only country that uses ethanol.

Pete
    Our half dozen strips all failed in the epoxy block where the wires are connected to the strip. The part not in the gas. Mechanical failure just like the key antennas. Dealers usually feel the need to supply an answer...whatever sounds good. Maybe the USA is the only country with too much oxygen in the air and the wires corrode...or maybe it's the sugar in the donuts...
    Our strips were perfect from the connection block on down. I even measured some of them below the block and they read out perfectly.
    BMWMotorcycles, fun when they're running...
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

Quote Originally Posted by cjack View Post
    Our half dozen strips all failed in the epoxy block where the wires are connected to the strip. The part not in the gas. Mechanical failure just like the key antennas. Dealers usually feel the need to supply an answer...whatever sounds good. Maybe the USA is the only country with too much oxygen in the air and the wires corrode...or maybe it's the sugar in the donuts...
    Our strips were perfect from the connection block on down. I even measured some of them below the block and they read out perfectly.
    I have often wondered if during the installation a not so careful technician could unknowingly damage the strip causing a premature failure.?

However there were two times that the strip failed before they were installed?

Dave

Cowboyatheart
    Quote Originally Posted by 56223 View Post

Pete
    Ethanol is in Canadian gas too.
    Neil
    Want to be happy for a day? Drink. Want to be happy for a year? Get married. Want to be happy for life? Ride a BMW!
    www.TasteMoringa.com Smart Mix & XM3 Energy Drink are the puppies to view...IMO

Brazil uses only alcohol as a fuel in their vehicles. No petroleum at all AFIK
    Marty - in the western Oregon mountains.'06RT, (gone '04RT, '86 Venture Royal, '81 Yamaha Virago920, '82Suzuki GS1100GK, '76 Suzuki GT750, Triumph 750 Bonneville, BSA Road Rocket 650, 61" Harley knucklehead)

2012 R1200R

strip # 2

2012 R1200R. First one dead at the date of purchase May 5, 2013. Replacement lasted from August 2013 till last weekend. Scheduled for replacement on November 2. Worked flawlessly for 1-1/4 years...

I thought that I was immune but my fuel strip went out on my 2009 R1200GS at around 64,000 miles.
    From what I have read that's not bad. The new one comes with a 2 year warranty.

Does BMW NA have this info???

Just wondering if anyone at BMW Motorad USA has this information?
    It may produce some results if they had all the links from failed fuel strips to review and bring them up to speed.
    How do you do this?
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by davesbmw View Post
    Just wondering if anyone at BMW Motorad USA has this information?
    It may produce some results if they had all the links from failed fuel strips to review and bring them up to speed.
    How do you do this?
    Dave
    Hi Dave,

It's unclear to me if this would be "new" info to them. They know how many bikes using the strips were sold in the US, and they know how many strips were sold, plus they have all the info on repeat failures from warranty claims.. If anything - they have much better info than we can garner from this unscientific poll.

You have to remember BMW's reaction to issues like this (pretty much in order that it happens):

1. What problem? First time we've heard of this.
    2. There is no problem.
    3. Oh - that problem -- it's your fault (blame US fuel, blame the way we ride them, etc.)
    4. There is no problem in Europe
    5. What problem?
    6. Thank you for calling..

I know people mention having the MOA get involved - but my WAG (I haven't been in the position) is if the MOA "got involved" they'd get the exact same treatment. It's not as if the MOA has any leverage over BMW.

Best bet - read back in the thread on how to report failures to NHTSA - and do it. Eventually you can hope NHTSA may pay some attention if there are a large number of complaints for the same issue, and it can be demonstrated that it is a safety hazard (and they have forced recalls of various cars and bikes for fuel gauge failures.)
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

2006 RT No failure!!

My RT hasn't had a failure at all. It has always been a little out of calibration, but I don't mind since it's out in my favor. When it says I have zero miles remaining, I can go another 60 easily.

Currently at just under 102K miles!

Terry
    '06 R12RT (new in 2-06) 102K
    100K Club! (146K & counting!!) <--got my diploma!

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tbryant View Post
    My RT hasn't had a failure at all. It has always been a little out of calibration, but I don't mind since it's out in my favor. When it says I have zero miles remaining, I can go another 60 easily.

Currently at just under 102K miles!

Terry
    Sheesh man!!!! Dont jinx yourself!
    Ken
    [2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blue) - Mine]
    [2007 R1200RT (Sand Biege) - Hers]

Fuel Strip Fix + 6 months

I zapped fuel strip pins 2 and 3 using a piezo igniter for a gas grill (see my 5-24-2013 post). 6 months and about 6,000 miles - still working.

Here's the link to the fix technique - http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73008

I got tired of spending vacation days sitting at the dealer getting warranty replacements.

Geoff