View Poll Results: Have you had at least ONE fuel strip fail?

Voters
515. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES - 2005 model year

28 5.44%
  • YES - 2006 model year

19 3.69%
  • YES - 2007 model year

60 11.65%
  • YES - 2008 model year

70 13.59%
  • YES - 2009 model year

94 18.25%
  • YES - 2010 model year

40 7.77%
  • YES - 2011 model year (R1200R only I think..)

17 3.30%
  • YES - Multiple fuel strip failures - please note model/year in a comment

39 7.57%
  • NO - fuel strip failure. Please note year/model in a comment

184 35.73%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel strip poll

Some dealers offer discounts,
    My bike shown here
    Jordan M, MOA #24434
    My Blog

My new bike didnt make it 30 miles before the strip failed. Will be dealer replaced during 6k inspection.

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jandhumphreyme View Post
    My new bike didnt make it 30 miles before the strip failed. Will be dealer replaced during 6k inspection.
    Which new bike? The bikes since about '10 have floats in them.
    BMWMotorcycles, fun when they're running...
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

Quote Originally Posted by SteveAikens View Post
    The part alone is $149.80 plus tax.
    Razee ( RI ) gives me a discount.

Bill Kenney
    OSBMWR VP

Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft FredRydr's Avatar

NO - fuel strip failure. Please note year/model in a comment

I just noticed this thread. I've had my 2007 R1200R since new, and have not experienced a problem with this part. 50,000 miles and slowing (due to buying a second bike in 2009). My 2009 F800GS likewise has not suffered a failure after 25,000 miles.

Fred

80,000+

80,335 miles, no fuel strip failures. '05's rock!
    2005 R1200RT
    BMWMOA # 143779
    "Positive Habit Transfer is no substitute for Situational Awareness."

06 R1200RT
    I've had 5 strips fail if you include the one that failed on the bench while MAX's was calabrating it.
    The first one was at about 34K Then just inside 2 years for each one after.

Quote Originally Posted by blast54 View Post
    Razee ( RI ) gives me a discount.

Bill Kenney
    OSBMWR VP
    The strip has a 2 year warranty. Save your reciept

#5 and counting

Fifth one just failed at just less than a year on my 2009 RT.
    Tom Baker
    2009 BMW R1200RT
    1970 Triumph Bonneville

08 k1200s

Two strips failed. One at about 12k and one at about 23k. I wish someone would come up with a practical solution to make that part more reliable. All these frequent failures can't help the brand reputation. I've heard people say it is the alcohol in the U.S. fuel, and I've heard one person say heat causes the strips to fail. Perhaps BMW had hundreds extra of these strips made at $2 each, and there is a celebration in the parts sales department each time there is an out of warranty failure.

2009 RT replaced fuel strip August 2012 22K miles

2009 RT replaced fuel strip in August 2012 with 22K miles

Dixie, the land of cotton

Could you imagine the up roar if 60% of the new iphone 5s failed?

It just amazes me that according to the poll 60% of the voters have had one or more failures and there is not a group uproar aimed at BMWNA. Again I thank Don for putting this poll up so everybody can see how bad the situation is.

But heaven forbid that someone from the MOA contact BMWNA and find out what BMW is going to do about it. Let's just be a bunch of sheep and whine about it but don't dare ask anybody to hold BMW accountable.

I bet if your new Lexus was in the shop for a couple of weeks at a time and kept having the same problem over and over(even if it was covered by warranty) that you would be raising cane and would not ever consider buying another Lexus.

I feel for the fuel strip, final drive...... and others that have had to deal with BMW's lack of taking responsibility for the issue.

Sure problems happen in manufacturing and products fail. But BMW tries to blame it on ethanol, they knew we have ethanol in our gas and failed to manufacture a product that would work in a ethanol environment.

Nobody likes ethanol, but it is not ethanol fault, it is BMW's poor product design.

Cowboyatheart
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboyatheart View Post
    Answered this poll (had a feeling that answering could be tempting fate). Looks like my fuel strip failed today on my 2008 RT. 1.5 months short of 5 years ownership, I bought it new from the dealer. I will find out for sure tomorrow morning.

Update today July 5th...
    I answered the poll a few weeks ago, and of course that was a NO FAIL.

Today, just replaced the failed (yesterday) fuel strip. $225 canadian, + 1 hour labour at $108 per hour (usually two hours but they had my tank off already doing something else for me) = so with tax this little fuel strip replacement cost $372.96 Canadian.

How's that for spending money.
    And today, Oct 17, 2013, the July replacement failed two weeks ago. Had it replaced today. That one failed not 8 km from the dealer. I did NOT go back today.

I am going to see what the dealer suggests now. I am also wondering if their mechanics have a clue as to what they are doing!
    Neil
    Want to be happy for a day? Drink. Want to be happy for a year? Get married. Want to be happy for life? Ride a BMW!
    www.TasteMoringa.com Smart Mix & XM3 Energy Drink are the puppies to view...IMO

82,000 miles

Mine just went out.
    2005 R1200RT
    BMWMOA # 143779
    "Positive Habit Transfer is no substitute for Situational Awareness."

Cowboyatheart
    Quote Originally Posted by espressoforyou View Post
    It just amazes me that according to the poll 60% of the voters have had one or more failures and there is not a group uproar aimed at BMWNA. Again I thank Don for putting this poll up so everybody can see how bad the situation is.

But heaven forbid that someone from the MOA contact BMWNA and find out what BMW is going to do about it. Let's just be a bunch of sheep and whine about it but don't dare ask anybody to hold BMW accountable.

I bet if your new Lexus was in the shop for a couple of weeks at a time and kept having the same problem over and over(even if it was covered by warranty) that you would be raising cane and would not ever consider buying another Lexus.

I feel for the fuel strip, final drive...... and others that have had to deal with BMW's lack of taking responsibility for the issue.

Sure problems happen in manufacturing and products fail. But BMW tries to blame it on ethanol, they knew we have ethanol in our gas and failed to manufacture a product that would work in a ethanol environment.

Nobody likes ethanol, but it is not ethanol fault, it is BMW's poor product design.
    I agree with you. I will be calling BMW of Canada on this issue re: my own experience.

I thought you moved onto a Suzuki V-Strom and said goodbye to the BMW brand?
    Neil
    Want to be happy for a day? Drink. Want to be happy for a year? Get married. Want to be happy for life? Ride a BMW!
    www.TasteMoringa.com Smart Mix & XM3 Energy Drink are the puppies to view...IMO