View Poll Results: Have you had at least ONE fuel strip fail?

Voters
516. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES - 2005 model year

28 5.43%
  • YES - 2006 model year

19 3.68%
  • YES - 2007 model year

60 11.63%
  • YES - 2008 model year

70 13.57%
  • YES - 2009 model year

95 18.41%
  • YES - 2010 model year

40 7.75%
  • YES - 2011 model year (R1200R only I think..)

17 3.29%
  • YES - Multiple fuel strip failures - please note model/year in a comment

39 7.56%
  • NO - fuel strip failure. Please note year/model in a comment

184 35.66%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel strip poll

Jack Herbst
    And still the fact remains, BMW hears nothing, tells nothing and see's nothing! After seven failures (2008 RT) my dealers service manager hinted that BMW might not replace the next one. Huh! That's right.

Jack
    "All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I realize I should have been more specific."

Jack,

Unless your service manager can unilaterally rewrite the warranty terms that are in effect when you had your last strip replaced - BMW is going to pay for the next one. It always amazes me when dealership employees take it upon themselves to come up with crap like this. I somehow think they must enjoy tweaking the customers.

And folks - it is a MULTIPLE CHOICE poll - I hoped I'd made that clear in the explanation in the very first post.

If you have a 2007 R1200xyz and a 2008 R1200xyz - and both had failed fuel strips - you could check both off. If your 2007 R1200xyz had more than one failed fuel strip - you could check off the option for multiple failures.

Unfortunately - due to how Vbulletin sets up polls, there is no option for a branching poll, and there is no option for a user to change their initial vote. So this means the survey will not be entirely accurate especially in regards to the total failures. What it was intended for - and the only intent - was to see the failure rate distribution by model year.

Hope that's clear. I'll go back and look at the post where I explain how the poll works and see if I can make it clearer, but given the tendency of people to vote first and look at the explaination second, I don't think it will do a lot of good.

Right now - it is what it is - and it confirms my impression that the '05 and '06 model years don't experience the number of failures the later years do. Some of that may be due to the number of bikes that were sold in those years - less having fuel strips (the R1200R didn't get released until 2007, so there would be no Roadster numbers counted for '05/'06.)

Thanks for all the input. If I can get production numbers I'll post them here..
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Jack Herbst
    Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    Jack,

Unless your service manager can unilaterally rewrite the warranty terms that are in effect when you had your last strip replaced - BMW is going to pay for the next one. It always amazes me when dealership employees take it upon themselves to come up with crap like this. I somehow think they must enjoy tweaking the customers.

And folks - it is a MULTIPLE CHOICE poll - I hoped I'd made that clear in the explanation in the very first post.

If you have a 2007 R1200xyz and a 2008 R1200xyz - and both had failed fuel strips - you could check both off. If your 2007 R1200xyz had more than one failed fuel strip - you could check off the option for multiple failures.

Unfortunately - due to how Vbulletin sets up polls, there is no option for a branching poll, and there is no option for a user to change their initial vote. So this means the survey will not be entirely accurate especially in regards to the total failures. What it was intended for - and the only intent - was to see the failure rate distribution by model year.

Hope that's clear. I'll go back and look at the post where I explain how the poll works and see if I can make it clearer, but given the tendency of people to vote first and look at the explaination second, I don't think it will do a lot of good.

Right now - it is what it is - and it confirms my impression that the '05 and '06 model years don't experience the number of failures the later years do. Some of that may be due to the number of bikes that were sold in those years - less having fuel strips (the R1200R didn't get released until 2007, so there would be no Roadster numbers counted for '05/'06.)

Thanks for all the input. If I can get production numbers I'll post them here..
    My two year parts warranty expired October 7, 2012 my last strip failed October 14, 2012. That is one week past expiration. It was a "good will" replacement. Service manager said he discussed it with dealer owner and was told another replacement may not happen due to the "good will' replacement. FOR ONE WEEK! You got to be kidding right?

Jack
    "All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I realize I should have been more specific."

Cal
    2005 GS 63K miles no issues

Cal

Unhappy Fuel Strip Poll Comment

2009 RT with 7,000 miles -- failed and replaced under warranty last week. But the replacement is not working properly. I have to take it back to the dealer for "recalibration" or replacement next week. (Dealer told me they will decide what to do when I bring it back in.) Geeez.
    Tom Wilmotte
    2009 R1200RT
    BMWMOA, SABMWRA, IBA

No Problem

2005 R1200RT with 33,000 miles and still working fine.
    'If life throws you a curve, lean into it!'
    Bob Bryant
    BMW 2005 R1200RT
    www.teambryant.org

Rock throwing distance from Home Despot HQ

Just one so far

07 RT. Strip failed one year out of warranty. Waited until Sept of this year to replace. Cost was about $350.

While we are at it, my ESA pre-load feature has frozen up for the third time. The first time it started working again on its own. The second time, dealer (BMW of ATL in Marietta, GA) did whatever it is that they do to awaken the sleeping monster. The third time, it quit working the DAY AFTER I GOT THE BIKE BACK FROM THE FUEL STRIP REPLACEMENT.

Due to some health problems - since banished - I have only 8100 miles on my RT. And I'm already on my 3rd set of tires. Tasty new Z8's. I know I ride a bit harder than the average bear, and 90% of ALL miles are in the southern mountains, and the RT does weigh roughly 600 lbs., and I like comma splices.

Still a great bike, but fussy and expensive to own. Says my 41 years and 15 bikes of ownership.

Bike Show back in Atl after several years absence. A few of the other ones are looking kind of tasty just now. Keeping my wallet closed and temper in check will be fun!

Having a really good dealer here makes the whole thing just that much more of a puzzle.

Fred Trimble
    35,500 miles on a '09RT - no failure of the strip.

(68,000 miles on a '85RT - no failure of the float)
    Fred Trimble
    1985 K100RT
    2009 R1200RT

Jack Herbst
    Quote Originally Posted by 35675 View Post
    35,500 miles on a '09RT - no failure of the strip.

(68,000 miles on a '85RT - no failure of the float)
    I totally Hate You! (you luckey B-----D!)

Jack

2006 rt

No fuel strip problem. 61,000 miles

Talking 2007 rt

The fuel strip on my RT has failed twice this year. Luckily the second one was covered under warranty.

Gary98
    Failure on my '08 1200GS within three months of purchase. Replaced under warranty. I asked what the "fix" was. They said the "fix" was to just keep replacing it while under warranty. I get a fuel warning from about 2 gal left, kind of annoying riding almost half the time with a fuel warning light flashing.

2011 R1200GS - 29,000 miles . . . . . . . No Problems
    Doug Printz
    El Dorado Hills, California
    - 2011 BMW R1200GS
    - 2005 Honda ST1300

fuel strip poll

2010 RT 3 failures in 11000 miles. 1000 miles travelled back and forth to dealer
    for repairs. All under warranty.

R1200RT 2009 Fuel Strip Failure

Sadly to say that I've had 4 fuel strips fail over the life of 59,000 miles since March of 2009. I've really enjoyed my bike immensely, but can't understand why this failure cannot be corrected by the Beemer engineers.
    Harold