Thread: Fuel strip went out on trip. My dealer told me they cover it for 12 years.

Droptine1968

Fuel strip went out on trip. My dealer told me they cover it for 12 years.

I have a 2005 R1200rt with just under 65,000 miles on it, I bought it in 2011 with under 50,000 on it. On my trip last week, about an 1/2 hour after a stop for gas, the gas light started flashing, guage showing empty, but showing around 300 miles left. Called my dealer today about it and they said that BMW is covering them for up to 12 years, parts and labor. Anyone else hear of them covering it for that long. Some of the 2005s still were on the float, and I figured mine was also due to the threads I've read and how fast some were going out, and it all seemed to be the newer models. All of the parts fiche that I looked at for that year model, all had the strip and none mentioned a float for a 2005. But the warranty is still good news.
    2005 R1200RT

12 years from "In-Service Date" (date the bike left the showroom..) Yes - this has been discussed quite a bit. You might want to add your data to the sticky about fuel-strip failures, and read on how to report it to NHTSA.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

I was supposed to get fuel strip #5 this morning, but yesterday the dealer called me and cancelled my appointment because they're short handed. So I'm taking it to Iowa City a week from today. See if switching dealers brings me better luck.

I followed Don's advice and filed a complaint with the NHTSA July 5th. I believe the only way BMW will ever fix this problem is if they are forced to do so by the government. You can bet they've already calculated how much it will cost them to keep replacing strips until some time in 2022. Replacing a fuel strip that is a defective design with the exact same thing is not a fix.
    Howard Edwards

2014 Road King; 2009 R1200GS; 1975 R75/6

The fuel strip went out on my 05 a couple of years ago and I had to pay $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    12 years from "In-Service Date" (date the bike left the showroom..) Yes - this has been discussed quite a bit. You might want to add your data to the sticky about fuel-strip failures, and read on how to report it to NHTSA.
    Don - do you know if they'll reimburse for out-of-pocket replacements prior to them putting the extended warranty in place?

JayJay
    '09 R1200 RT
    Lots of rice burners in the past ...

Having my 2nd strip replaced on my '09 on August 5th!

First replacement was done in 2010.
    "The Older I Get, the Faster I Was"
    '09 Black Metallic Sapphire "Fully Farkled" RT

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Looks like my 2010 GSA is having issues. The gauge only goes to half full. I added 8.1 gallons and it showed full again, but after a full day on the road it only dropped to the halfway mark again. Another 7.9 gallons and it shows full again. Ahem, it had to happen halfway into a 5k trip!
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    Ahem, it had to happen halfway into a 5k trip!
    Were you able to continue on the trip?
    Marty Hill
    12 GS black/Boxer Cup Replika

ride till you can't

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Quote Originally Posted by martyhill View Post
    Were you able to continue on the trip?
    Can't let a little thing like that stop me. I suddenly became religious about resetting the fuel level on the GPS, but with all of the off road grunt work the rig is getting on this trip I worry about fuel consumption and haven't been passing too many stations. I have a whole string of 3 gallon purchases this week!
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley