Thread: Any planned visits to.....

Hybrid View

Original 1973 LWB R75/5 TheSlashFiveTourer's Avatar

Any planned visits to.....

A query: Is there a possibility that some of us attending The 2005 National could visit The Lima Army Tank Plant during the rally?

Indications here on The Forum would lead one to believe that there is a significant group of BMW MOA members who are ex-military and might possibly be interested in visiting the plant in Lima, Ohio where the US ARMY M1A1/M1A2 Abrams Main Battle Tank is built. (Then again, some members of this significant group of MOA members who are ex-military may want nothing whatsover to do with anything that will remind them of their military service - including looking at big tanks when they could be out riding!)

Check out this interesting bit of historical information about the Lima Army Tank Plant and the effect this military contract has had on the folks in Lima over the years.

Any chance of a visit, Madam Sue??
    Last edited by SlashFiveTourer; 06-01-2005 at 09:08 AM.
    ~ ~ ~ /5 Express
    Have Train? - Will Travel!

I'd be up for that.

- Some say the glass is half empty, some say the glass is half full, I say, are you going to drink that? - Lisa Clayman
    - A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it begins to rain. --Robert Frost

HODAG
    Lets see...
    Air Force Musuem
    CMP
    and now a tank factory,
    the big Trifecta

callmethebreeze

Tank factory

I'll go if I can drive...lol.

BUBBAZANETTI
    all the way to Lima???

WAY to far man

Tank Plant Tour - Not this time

Hi all -

We had a local BMW rider who had this all set up.... but then, as things are prone to happen, the military made some changes.

The Commanding Officer of the Tank Plant is retiring. The new commander will take command on July 15th.

Because there is no precedent for this kind of tour at the tank plant since 9/11 (thank you, Ousama), the outgoing commander did not want to commit his replacement to this task.

Sorry about that. We tried......
    Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    It's Billings in 2015! #BeTheAdventure
    Sometimes it's the bend in the road that makes life worth the ride.