Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ride or Drive ?

Ride or Drive ?

My wife and I are planning a trip next summer, we live in the east and are going to take off without any real agenda, just go which ever way we are pointed. We want to do some hiking and here is the problem. Where do we stash our gear, helmets, jackets, etc.If we ride ? We have traveled many miles on our motorcycles and always have the same problem, side cases full, top case full, don't want to just walk off and leave our expensive gear hanging on the bike. So, the wife wants to drive her Mini Cooper, it gets great milage and has plenty of room for all our stuff and we can lock the doors and hike, sightsee etc. I say the Mini is fun but you just don't get the same sense of adventure as riding. Any ideas to help me sway her back to riding instead of driving ?

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Maybe attach the mini as a sidecar?
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

What gear are you refering too... all your camping gear (are you camping or staying in hotels?) or just your riding gear?

If it just riding gear and your worried about leaving it unattended with your motorcycle, try using a couple of heavy duty bicycle cable locks. Run the cable through the arms and legs of your jackets/pants (helmet too) and then secure to the frame of your motorcycle. Don't leave anything in the pockets. My wife and I have done this several times and everything was right where we left... didn't see any signs of tampering.

If it's more than just your riding gear, check into PACSAFE products.

(something like this... http://pacsafe.com/pacsafe-55l-bag-protector )
    Experience IS NOT the best teacher! Someone else's experience is the best teacher.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Artiee View Post
    What gear are you refering too... all your camping gear (are you camping or staying in hotels?) or just your riding gear?

If it just riding gear and your worried about leaving it unattended with your motorcycle, try using a couple of heavy duty bicycle cable locks. Run the cable through the arms and legs of your jackets/pants (helmet too) and then secure to the frame of your motorcycle. Don't leave anything in the pockets. My wife and I have done this several times and everything was right where we left... didn't see any signs of tampering.

(something like this... http://pacsafe.com/pacsafe-55l-bag-protector )
    To this good advice, I would simply add concealing everything with a half-cover as well.

Out of sight - out of temptation.

PS: And drier too if it sprinkles before you get back!
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Artiee View Post
    Be aware that the Pacsafe net is quite capable of scratching the finish on your bike.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    Be aware that the Pacsafe net is quite capable of scratching the finish on your bike.
    He is correct. Don't ride with the PACSAFE net around your gear. If you need to use one, remove your gear from the motorcycle, set it on the ground and then use the cable lock to secure it to the frame or nearby tree or pole.
    Experience IS NOT the best teacher! Someone else's experience is the best teacher.

Douglas Williams
    I bet if you post this question on a mini cooper forum, you'll get different answers. My wife and I have done both. In 2010, we planned a trip to Montana on the RT. I got behind and as departure arrived, I decided her Z3 was a wiser choice. We had a blast. Take the mini, and next year, take the bike. The bike can be more trouble if you have other activities planned. If your wife would be happier on a long trip in the car, you'll be points ahead on your next bike trip by accomodating her this time.
    Sent from a Galaxy, far, far away

Quote Originally Posted by 83014 View Post
    I bet if you post this question on a mini cooper forum, you'll get different answers. My wife and I have done both. In 2010, we planned a trip to Montana on the RT. I got behind and as departure arrived, I decided her Z3 was a wiser choice. We had a blast. Take the mini, and next year, take the bike. The bike can be more trouble if you have other activities planned. If your wife would be happier on a long trip in the car, you'll be points ahead on your next bike trip by accomodating her this time.
    Thanks, I think you are right. She has put in lots of miles on the seat behind me so I think it may be her turn....

Never had that problem

I have traveled all over America, Europe, Africa, and much of the Middle East and never had a problem leaving my stuff on the motorcycle.

I used to re-po cars and can tell you that none of the suggestions offered and nothing that I know of will keep you safe from a determined thief

Good luck in your travels.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by patiodadio View Post
    Thanks, I think you are right. She has put in lots of miles on the seat behind me so I think it may be her turn....
    You can let her drive and sit behind her...poking her in the ribs
    Big fun!
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    You can let her drive and sit behind her...poking her in the ribs
    Big fun!
    Excellent idea ! When she goes too fast I will squeeze her likes has has me for years

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Take the Mini-Cooper and it will be easy to talk her into the bike the next year. Based on my friend's experience with his, it is a less than perfect long trip car.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

In the never ending pursuit of marital harmony, I gave up my extended riding vacation this summer. Mrs. Squiffy doesn't ride and has no interest in it. So, a 2 week driving vacation to the Black Hills was made tolerable by taking the Mustang convertible. If you can't ride, at least go in a convertible. Pretty fun for a cage!
    1985 R80RT/ 2002 R1150GSA
    IBA # 44032

We never take the car Bushtec is the way to go!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ambassador BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    President Niagara BMW Riders #298
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS (just getting started)

The new VW Beetle is going to be available as a diesel convertible. This will be a way cooler car than a Mini.

A couple years ago I bought my first convertible but couldn't stand it because I felt I should be wearing my helmet.

So, it's something of a motorcycle-like experience, then.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S