Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 38

Thread: '13 BMW F800GS - "one of the BEST"

  1. #16
    Registered User soph9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Didn't you have 650GS's (twin)? Why did you trade to 800? Would be interesting to know.

    Thanks Jack
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=696871

    above is the link to our RR to Alaska in 2011

    yep you are correct. My bike had 60,000KM on it and Cheryl's almost 50 thousand. Warranties coming up too. PLUS, it was time for new bikes for us and we gave each other an 800 for an engagement gift. We went to the 800 because last summer we were able to ride the new Triumph Tiger 800XC for 44 days. Gave them back. We loved that bike minus a few pet peeves. When this bike came out we were not too impressed with the lack of attention to the seat and it not being adjustable like the Triumph's. But also did not really pay attention to the ESA. When I learned more about ESA in the theory the BMW became pretty interesting to us again. We also love our luggage and would be able to transfer the mounts into the new Beemers.

    So, in the end the ESA for us is doing the trick on the road for road comfort. We like the 21inch front and the wider handle bars and longer stance. We are not hard core off road riders but wanted better suspension too. So, we bought the 800's. I am getting a custom seat made right now and included is a gel pad. So, if the seat comes out as comfy as I hope then we have a road savvy bike with definite off road handling. Best of both worlds. How is that for an answer?

    I have received many "I am disappointed" emails and private messages that we did not buy Triumphs. Some even have gone as far to say my credibility has been questioned about my review of the Tigers. I say it's our money, BMW has done some cool things on this bike, and we still think the world of the Tigers but like I said above BMW made some smart improvements.

  2. #17
    Wilderness Photographer cchoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
    we have to stay clear of the signals...legal wise...we are gonna wait to see what Twisted Throttle does. They say they are working on a bike specific mount...eta..who knows.
    I ordered the PIAA's but they are pretty close to the signals.

    --
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light
    '13 F800GS

  3. #18
    Registered User soph9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    223
    on the new F8 those would not work...the signals are up high now...


  4. #19
    Wilderness Photographer cchoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
    on the new F8 those would not work...the signals are up high now...
    Hmmm, I may have to figure out a different place to mount them or send them back. I should have noticed that before I ordered, thanks for pointing it out.

    edited: Took a look at mine and the signals are level with the bottom of the headlights and should just clear the tops of the PIAAs, so I may be OK.
    --
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light
    '13 F800GS

  5. #20
    Registered User soph9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    223
    you might want to make sure that when the lights are on...the AUX lights that is that the signals can still be seen clearly by cars...just saying...better be safe than sorry

  6. #21
    Wilderness Photographer cchoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
    you might want to make sure that when the lights are on...the AUX lights that is that the signals can still be seen clearly by cars...just saying...better be safe than sorry
    Good advice and I will certainly do that. I am all about being seen by cars and letting them know my intentions. If need be I can mount the lights upside down in the brackets and see how that works.
    --
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light
    '13 F800GS

  7. #22
    Registered User soph9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    223


    we are too...like to be seen not road kill!

  8. #23
    Registered User soph9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    223

    Adjusting your clutch on the '13 F8

    Just some info regarding clutch adjustment. I guess how you do may have changed from previous years....my dealer gave me the sheets for future reference.






  9. #24
    Jack Herbst
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Oro Valley, AZ
    Posts
    586
    Quote Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=696871

    above is the link to our RR to Alaska in 2011

    yep you are correct. My bike had 60,000KM on it and Cheryl's almost 50 thousand. Warranties coming up too. PLUS, it was time for new bikes for us and we gave each other an 800 for an engagement gift. We went to the 800 because last summer we were able to ride the new Triumph Tiger 800XC for 44 days. Gave them back. We loved that bike minus a few pet peeves. When this bike came out we were not too impressed with the lack of attention to the seat and it not being adjustable like the Triumph's. But also did not really pay attention to the ESA. When I learned more about ESA in the theory the BMW became pretty interesting to us again. We also love our luggage and would be able to transfer the mounts into the new Beemers.

    So, in the end the ESA for us is doing the trick on the road for road comfort. We like the 21inch front and the wider handle bars and longer stance. We are not hard core off road riders but wanted better suspension too. So, we bought the 800's. I am getting a custom seat made right now and included is a gel pad. So, if the seat comes out as comfy as I hope then we have a road savvy bike with definite off road handling. Best of both worlds. How is that for an answer?

    I have received many "I am disappointed" emails and private messages that we did not buy Triumphs. Some even have gone as far to say my credibility has been questioned about my review of the Tigers. I say it's our money, BMW has done some cool things on this bike, and we still think the world of the Tigers but like I said above BMW made some smart improvements.
    Thanks, still enjoying my F650GS (twin) although it is not my only ride. Interesting reply.

    Jack
    "All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I realize I should have been more specific."

  10. #25
    Registered User soph9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    223
    hmmmm I gather you don't like my reply?

  11. #26
    Registered User sddinnh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
    hmmmm I gather you don't like my reply?
    Seems perfectly logical to me and given your past travels, I'm sure you'll enjoy them. BTW: Congrats on the engagement
    Steve
    So many roads - so little time.
    2013 R1200GSW

  12. #27
    Registered User soph9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by sddinnh View Post
    Seems perfectly logical to me and given your past travels, I'm sure you'll enjoy them. BTW: Congrats on the engagement
    thanks....we think so too!

  13. #28

  14. #29
    Sign Guy Bdiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Everett, WA
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
    you might want to make sure that when the lights are on...the AUX lights that is that the signals can still be seen clearly by cars...just saying...better be safe than sorry
    Hook those Aux lights up to your turn signals to flash also - that'll wake up some BDC's
    Brian - Everett, WA
    www.pdq-signs.com
    99 R1100RT - Got Kewl-Aid? IBA - SS1K's, BBG
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left!

  15. #30
    Registered User soph9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    223


    custom seat has arrived...need more time riding to give an educated review but so far like the shape at the nose, feels nicer with the gel pad...real test will be when I can ride for hours. Stay tuned...this new version of the F800 seriously rides great. ESA rocks.




Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •