Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 36

Thread: Car info,r.e., 2013 BMW X3 xDrive28i

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eastern KY
    Posts
    3,222

    Car info,r.e., 2013 BMW X3 xDrive28i

    Just in case someone has this car I'd like to hear your comments,thanks!
    The new 4 cyl engine in particular is part of my search.

  2. #2
    Registered User lkchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    4,765
    Biggest question with BMW cars these days is can you live with run-flat tires?
    Kent Christensen
    21482
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

  3. #3
    No longer a member here
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,432
    One of the features that always attracted me to BMWs was their line of 6-cyl engines, because of the smoothness and velvety feel at the throttle.
    I am no fan of small displacement 4-cyl engines. It doesn't matter to me, whether their hp and torque output is equal or greater of that of the 6es they replace.
    4-cylinders feel rough, nervous and unrefined. In general, you have to operate them at a higher rpm to get the same performance.
    If fuel mileage is very important to you, the turbo-charged, direct injection 4s are a good choice. But then again, why not go for a Toyota Prius?

  4. #4
    Registered User 36654's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    1,692
    Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    Just in case someone has this car I'd like to hear your comments,thanks!
    The new 4 cyl engine in particular is part of my search.
    A model from the third year of production after a new model introduction has always been my best guideline for happiness with a BMW car. It does take them a while to work-out the new model gremlins, in my experience.

    You're in Kentucky, why 4-wheel drive?
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

  5. #5
    Registered User 36654's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    1,692
    Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    One of the features that always attracted me to BMWs was their line of 6-cyl engines, because of the smoothness and velvety feel at the throttle.
    I am no fan of small displacement 4-cyl engines. It doesn't matter to me, whether their hp and torque output is equal or greater of that of the 6es they replace.
    4-cylinders feel rough, nervous and unrefined. In general, you have to operate them at a higher rpm to get the same performance.
    If fuel mileage is very important to you, the turbo-charged, direct injection 4s are a good choice. But then again, why not go for a Toyota Prius?
    I've owned three BMW bikes and six BMW cars............and never had a speeding ticket. I got a speeding citation in a Prius on the day my wife bought her car. The policeman nearly crapped his pants trying not to laugh as he handed me the citation.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

  6. #6
    Registered User sit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    294
    We currently have a 128i with the inline 6. We test drove a 328i a few weeks ago with the inline 4. I thought the inline 4 was great engine. I could not feel any difference by the seat of my pants. Both cars continue to push you into your seat the more you press on the gas. We are considering moving to the 328, mainly for the change in MPG, but the reports coming out are that the combined MPG on the new 4 is 28 MPG and our card currently gets about 23, so don't know if we are willing to only gain 5 MPG for cost of a "new" car. There will have to some other factor, need more room etc. I wouldn't really worry about the engine. If we do buy one, it will be a service loaner from our local dealer. They sell them with about 2-3K on the clock for substantial savings. Add in the CPO warranty and you get a new car covered up to 100K miles and you don't take the initial depreciation hit. Our 1 was a loaner and it has been problem free.
    2005 K1200LT-Ocean Blue
    2013 Ural Patrol - White
    2007 R1200GS-Granite Gray-Sold
    2004 R1150R-Titan Silver-Sold

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eastern KY
    Posts
    3,222
    Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    A model from the third year of production after a new model introduction has always been my best guideline for happiness with a BMW car. It does take them a while to work-out the new model gremlins, in my experience.

    You're in Kentucky, why 4-wheel drive?
    I live back in the woods in a "how do you get here in the winter kind of place"-says visitors! Seriously, winter is a fact of life here, it's not FL!FWIW, we are gardening zone 5 & we have had several frosts and been in 20's already. Global warming aside, of course! Snowed ~3" this week on Tuesday.
    Last edited by kantuckid; 11-01-2012 at 10:06 PM.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eastern KY
    Posts
    3,222
    The new turbo/4 is a premium only gas engine and has higher compression than past cars so may not like fudging over to 87 fuel. A Prius is not going to happen for me. I'm also looking @ the XC60 AWD Volvo

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eastern KY
    Posts
    3,222
    Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    Biggest question with BMW cars these days is can you live with run-flat tires?
    Lots of people take them off-if you read my older posts you will learn of my exp with them & understand why I think they are... -well I'll keep it to- I don't want them on my car...

  10. #10
    Registered User lkchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    4,765
    Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    The new turbo/4 is a premium only gas engine and has higher compression than past cars so may not like fudging over to 87 fuel. A Prius is not going to happen for me. I'm also looking @ the XC60 AWD Volvo
    Yes, saving fuel and saving on cost of a gallon of fuel are mutually exclusive. High compression = efficiency. The legislation considers only the former.
    Kent Christensen
    21482
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

  11. #11
    No longer a member here
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,432
    Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    The new turbo/4 is a premium only gas engine and has higher compression than past cars so may not like fudging over to 87 fuel. A Prius is not going to happen for me. I'm also looking @ the XC60 AWD Volvo
    That is a common misconception. Modern engines all have knock sensors to adjust the ignition and avoid the ill effects of lower octane gas. the OEMs call high octane fuel out on the filler cap, but most dealers tell you it is O.K. to use regular gas. My wife and I do in both our Audis. No problems for 3 years now.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eastern KY
    Posts
    3,222
    In the past I ran 87 in many BMW & Audi cars through 2008 models-the new BMW 4 cyl turbos are not the same situation.I talked to a couple of current techs & they said mid grade is the minimum to avoid problems with that engine. I never experienced a fuel related issue with the 6cyl cars on 87. OTOH, my 2003 R1150R runs great on 87. I am leaning now toward a wait to see what the near future,say next 2 years brings in cars.

  13. #13
    Registered User lkchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    4,765
    Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    That is a common misconception. Modern engines all have knock sensors to adjust the ignition and avoid the ill effects of lower octane gas. the OEMs call high octane fuel out on the filler cap, but most dealers tell you it is O.K. to use regular gas. My wife and I do in both our Audis. No problems for 3 years now.
    This is wishful thinking.

    The "ill effects" you'll experience if you do indeed use regular are reduced igntion advance and consequently reduced power and fuel economy. It's false economy for sure. The whole notion of trust the dealer and don't trust the manufacturer is completely and utterly foolish.
    Kent Christensen
    21482
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

  14. #14
    Registered User 36654's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    1,692
    Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    reduced power
    And sluggishness. Other than my 85 R80ST, I've never had any success running anything less than premium in a BMW bike or car. My 89 525i gets sluggish enough with mid-grade, that I wouldn't even consider 87.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

  15. #15
    Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Just north of Seattle, WA
    Posts
    2,806
    The M-I-L bought a 2013 328i last week. She came over on Saturday and I got my first look inside and under the hood.

    I can't stand that video display erupting out of the top of the dash. That thing couldn't look more after-market/less integrated into the dash. Put a flat-screen computer monitor on the dash of your existing car and you'll get a feel for the size of the video display panel on the 3-series dash.

    Then I peeked under the hood, expecting to see the famous BMW straight-six. I had no idea BMW cages were using a turbocharged four. I had to count spark plug leads to convince myself it wasn't a straight six.

    I lost interest in further explorations after making that discovery. Twin-turbo V8 in the M3? Sure thing! Turbo straight six? No problem!

    Turbo straight-four? No thanks.
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •