Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2009 BMW R1200RT Comments

That aftermarket seat appears to be quite low, as though it was built for a shorter rider. If that doesn't really suit you, the dealer probably has a used OE seat around.
    '14 R1200GS,
    Priors: '13 K1600GT, '08 R1200RT, '04 R1150RT, '05 R1200GS, '73 R75/5.

Quote Originally Posted by Sailorlite View Post
    That aftermarket seat appears to be quite low, as though it was built for a shorter rider. If that doesn't really suit you, the dealer probably has a used OE seat around.
    Exactly my thoughts even though it's a Russell Daylong custom heated seat.

Got my hands on some of the machines service records and it's a print out of who did what and the cost. No details, as i will ask for that and I am sure the owner will have no issues giving that up.

Two things that jumped out at me was this machine averaged a new set of tires every 10,500 - 12,000 km's. Thursty little devil on the pavement. And the second thing was when he changed his own oil he used non Spectro 4 10/40. I would have thought using semi synthetic would be the norm, but I do not have an owners manual to verify my thoughts.

From the looks of things, I am not seeing any major warranty related issues other than wear and tear which in my mind is normal. I sometimes think when a machine is used regularly it is internally in better shape that machines that average very low mileage in an average year.

Also couldn't sleep last night and discovered Max BMW has videos on servicing. I was concerned about taking the tupperwear off to do some servicing and from what I saw to get at the air filter, will be a walk in the park. The 2011 Triumph Trophy, one literally had to remove all four (4) carburetors before you even got access to the air filter plastic frame. For me it was at least a four hour job. What I saw last night is a 30 - 45 minutes at most.

Ya, I think I am getting more comfortable with what I just bought. Now let's get it home.
    Last edited by b25bsaboy; 11-08-2012 at 05:54 AM.
    Rick MacPherson
    Success is Not a Destination, But a Journey.
    Accredited Motorcycle Appraiser
    1968 BSA Starfire, 1976 BMW R75/6, 2009 R1200RT

...I would have thought using semi synthetic would be the norm...b25bsaboy
    Rick:

Don't want to start an oil thread, but lots of guys run their boxers on dino, and BMW does not insist on synthetic or semi synthetic in the owners manual. I'll dig mine out tomorrow and get you the specs. 10/40 is approved for certain temperature ranges.

In any event, you won't be riding that thing for the next few days.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Rick -

My observation would be that 10-12,000 km on a set of tires is not a big deal. Wear depends of the tire brand, the way the bike was ridden, and the condition of the roads where it was ridden. Here in New England, the roads are anything but kind to treadwear!

Warranty until April 2014 is terrific! Have you reviewed the copy of the extended warranty coverage and its exclusions? Would a $2500+ final drive replacement be fully covered? More importantly, have you reviewed the wording regarding the warranty transfer? At this stage, it pays to go over the details...
    Theo

2009 R1200RT, 2007 Shadow Aero 750 (sold)
    2012 MINI Countryman S, 2004 MINI Cooper S JCW, 2000 BMW 328i

Quote Originally Posted by rinty View Post
    Rick:

Don't want to start an oil thread, but lots of guys run their boxers on dino, and BMW does not insist on synthetic or semi synthetic in the owners manual. I'll dig mine out tomorrow and get you the specs. 10/40 is approved for certain temperature ranges.

In any event, you won't be riding that thing for the next few days.
    I used 10/40 Dino in my '09 since new. that is what the dealer recommends up here in the Great Pacific Northwest.

Castrol 4t or BMW branded.
    "The Older I Get, the Faster I Was"
    '09 Black Metallic Sapphire "Fully Farkled" RT

I'll...get you the specs...Rinty
    This is for an '05 1200 ST:

"Brand name HD oil of API classification SF, SG, OR SH; CD or CE amendments are permissible ; or brand-name HD oil of CCMC classification G4 OR G5; amendment PD2 is permissible"

10W - 40 is suggested for - 20C to 20 C and 20W - 50 for -10C to 30+C.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."