Thread: Routing Apps for Apple/Mac

Routing Apps for Apple/Mac

What are people using for route planning on their Apple/Mac? I'd love to be able to plan some on road trips for my Zumo 390.

Basecamp is the choice for many of us. It's free from Garmin and integrates well with their map and software updates. If you like the way google maps works all point and clicky you're going to hate Basecamp. It definitely requires rewiring your thinking of how you interact with the map and map tools but once you reprogram your thinking to match the effed up way the Garmin software guys think, it actually works pretty well. Is that all an endorsement of the product? For me, it's a love/hate thing but it's the only real game in town for the Mac.
    Wes Jones
    Annapolis, MD
    2012 K1600GT, Vermillion Red
    2013 S1000RR, Granite Gray

Quote Originally Posted by PittsDriver View Post
    Basecamp is the choice for many of us. It's free from Garmin and integrates well with their map and software updates. If you like the way google maps works all point and clicky you're going to hate Basecamp. It definitely requires rewiring your thinking of how you interact with the map and map tools but once you reprogram your thinking to match the effed up way the Garmin software guys think, it actually works pretty well. Is that all an endorsement of the product? For me, it's a love/hate thing but it's the only real game in town for the Mac.
    Yeah, I guess I should have phrased my question better. Other then Basecamp what are people using? Are there options?

Mapquest

I use Mapquest on my Mac. I found it the easiest way to create a route and it downloads easily to my Garmin.
    Mary
    2007 R1200RT, gone
    2009 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by elgin mary View Post
    I use Mapquest on my Mac. I found it the easiest way to create a route and it downloads easily to my Garmin.
    I have had Mapquest bookmarked in my browser for years but my default has always been Google Maps. But they have made a lot of what I feel are poor designing changes. Plus they have lost some functionality such as being able to upload to a Garmin GPS.

I took a fresh look at Mapquest today and while not feature packed it does the job quite nicely. Thanks for the reminder.