Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: This just in.....First view of MSP R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    Fix the cigarette lighter.
    02' K12LT ~ 83K '97 F650GS ~ 32K' 81 XS400 ~ 9K
    MOA #184190 Club #231 48035

Quote Originally Posted by der verge View Post
    I like blue.....
    "It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas."
    It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, its dark, and we're wearing sunglasses. HIT IT!
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

The Motorcycle Cop I Met The Other Day

I went to the store the other day. I was only in there for about 5 minutes, and when I came out there was a motorcycle cop writing a parking ticket. So I went up to him and said, "Come on, buddy, how about giving a guy a break?"
    He ignored me and continued writing the ticket. So I called him a pencil-necked-geek.
    He glared at me and started writing another ticket for having bald tires! So I called him a horse's behind.
    He finished the second ticket and put it on the car with the first... then started writing a third ticket!
    This went on for about 20 minutes. The more I abused him, the more tickets he wrote. I didn't care, my car was parked around the corner.
    "Enemy fighters at 2 o'clock!...Roger, What should i do until then?"

2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    I am curious why you would want one?? When I was more active in the Harley community, there were always people who wanted ex-Police bikes for the "cool-factor". The vast majority, however, did not consider these good buys. While the bikes were always well maintained, the sometimes low mileage was not representative of light use. The operation time compared to the mileage was overproportionally high due to a lot of idle running. Let's face it, these are work bikes. Would you buy an ex-police car, if you are not one of the Blues Brothers??
    Not all cop bikes are used by cops. Dealers involved in sales of large numbers of police motors use demonstrator models to sell bikes to police departments.

My 2002 was such a bike. Beaudry Motorsports (formerly in Post Falls, Idaho, now in Spokane, Washington building Kawasaki C-14 cop bikes) used my R1150RTP as their demo model, and trailered it around from police department to police department trying to sell motorcycles. When the twin-spark engine came out in 2004, my bike was yesterday's newspaper, and so it was sold to a private party with 3,000 miles on the odometer.

He rode it for 15,000 miles and in the process converted it from a cop bike to a Iron Butt Rally bike. He sold it with 18,000 miles to a guy who had a bunch of sport bikes. At some point, the front ABS ring got dented and the ABS brakes became "grabby". Prior owner never figured it out and sold the bike to me at 23,500 miles because he hated the "grabby" brakes.

She now has 79,000 miles on the odometer.

Not every RTP was beat to crap by a motor officer for 30-60,000 miles.
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

Not all cop bikes are in day-in day-out patrol use. Sure, there are plenty ex-CHP available with 107,000 miles on the odometer, but I bought a former police RT-P that was retired with 29,000 miles and I had every service record from that bike's city and the dealer they used. The only maintenance issues were tires and brakes and a coil or two. And just before selling it off, they put in a new clutch, so I figured that any risk to me was lessened quite a bit.

Also, I've ridden Harley and BMW police bikes. The Harleys always seemed to be real close to poterntial engine damage temps when at idle. I would never buy a Harley police bike without expecting to do major service and repair to it. It would have to be priced like a steal for me to consider it.

Bluenoser
    Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    I am curious why you would want one?? When I was more active in the Harley community, there were always people who wanted ex-Police bikes for the "cool-factor". The vast majority, however, did not consider these good buys. While the bikes were always well maintained, the sometimes low mileage was not representative of light use. The operation time compared to the mileage was overproportionally high due to a lot of idle running. Let's face it, these are work bikes. Would you buy an ex-police car, if you are not one of the Blues Brothers??
    Being a retired officer I couldn't agree more. Why would you want to buy a work vehicle? The bike ( no matter the manufacturer ) is no different than a used work half ton, car or any other vehicle. Believe me they do get used up. Their best years are behind them.
    1971 R50/5 SWB with R75/6 drivetrain
    2013 DL650

One Man Wolfpack Kent Niederhofer's Avatar

Msp bmw r1200rt

Not only did I have a chance to see these bikes get prepped at the local dealer but I saw one in operation shortly thereafter. The patrolman had pulled off onto the shoulder of Northbound I-275 near the I-696 exchange and was creeping along as he was coming upon some nimrod that was riding his 12-speed bicycle on said shoulder. The MSP's captive was clearly not the brightest bulb unless he had a death wish as this was around rush hour!

Kent