Thread: Well, here goes-'67 R69S

Hybrid View

Well, here goes-'67 R69S

Got the title in the mail last week, so it's officially ours as the second owners all matching numbers

feel confident this is most likely right according to his daughter...

there is a 75/6 with the same general mileage range I am picking up in a few days that was in the collection. The R27 he owned was sold by the original owner right before he passed in '86.

Now to start the long process of bringing it back from a 26 year nap. I had it sitting here for almost two years as the original owners grandson struggled with money. He kept seeing them on EBay for 12K and up. He finally decided it wasn't for him and we came to a fair deal.

Anyways, started taking her apart to do the refresh thing and the sticker shock to go along with that a lot of you know about already. It doesn't take long to see where this is headed!

No hurry for sure, plan on taking the block & heads to Vech this winter on the back of my GSA on the way to the Correct Coast and a late year rally out that way. I'll tinker with it and have a goal to ride it to the Fall Classic in Luckenbach next October...or the following year. Helen said she was

I'll be asking/reporting and hanging out here and on the Vintage site it seems.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

I look forward to seeing your progress. Doubt you'll need much help, but I'm just down the road!
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

After today's session with the S...I looked back and asked myself " what HAVE I done?"

Had two batteries coming for the slash 6 to see if I can get it to fire up and the 11R to clear up a lift, but the weather changed and my ride in delivery did not happen...so, I rolled on to project #326, or is it # 327...the '67S.
    Gotta say, wiring and fasteners are so minimal...what a treat! And pulling a tranny compared to an oilhead was actually fun...go figure!
    Took lot's of pics and made a lot of notes
    Even the 26 year old oil & gear lube looked good.No ugly surprises.

Next session will set the engine out to prep taking it on a road trip to MS.
    Steve Henson
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Having an issue gettting armature off the shaft... any suggestions? sure don't want to "pry" on the windings. The advance came off it's shaft easily...the armature not so much.
    Steve Henson

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Having an issue gettting armature off the shaft... any suggestions? sure don't want to "pry" on the windings. The advance came off it's shaft easily...the armature not so much.
    Do you have the extractor bolt? It can take a bit of work to get the armature to pop. See, for example, the bottom of http://www.snafu.org/restore/1998-10/page6.html where I picture a bent extraction tool. Guess how it got bent!

The same tool is used to remove the magneto rotor.

Thanks Marc,

Been out of town and just getting back to this...No tool, will check that out
    Steve Henson