Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: R75/5 Restoring Tool Tray?

Quote Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
    They're still available new for $33.

Anyone know the trick to getting a new gasket to STAY on the top edge of the tray?
    3M weather strip adhesive in the can. Spray some into a plastic cup and use a cheap brush to apply it to both the tool tray and the rubber. Use tape to hold it down while it sets up. Make sure to follow the directs on the can.
    www.boxermetal.com
    www.facebook.com/boxermetal
    VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694, ABC #600
    Hi my name is Chris and I am a slash-five-o-holic.

So after the weather-stripping you lads just literally tape the edge of the striping (bottom edge) to the tool tray itself?

I presume it doesnt have to be super strong pressure then?

Cheers all.

Ill give it a try this week.

Props for the tip on fiberglass/resin-ing. Super cool! Im going to have to give it a try!

Yes. What Chris and I are saying is that we used masking tape to hold the gasket in place while the adhesive cures, and then remove it. I waited a full 24 hours just to be sure.

I used, I don't know, fifteen or twenty 2-1/2" longs strips of tape; run the tape from the outside of the tray, across the gasket, down into the interior of the tray. You need to use as much as it takes to do the job.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

I used the roll pipe insulating tape-is blk closed cell foam,adhesive peel off,1/8" thick x ~ 1 1/8 or 1 1/4"-replicates the top seal per oem. I can get more specific if you PM me.