Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Oil low: 2005 R1150RT-P

But, make sure you do as the MOM describes. For example, on the R12RT, you check it hot, after it has sat a few minutes. The next day, drain down will make it look too high.

You really don't need to make this a more complicated procedure than it is. People really do fret over this kind of thing much more than is called for.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

Quote Originally Posted by RoboRider View Post
    But, make sure you do as the MOM describes. For example, on the R12RT, you check it hot, after it has sat a few minutes. The next day, drain down will make it look too high.

You really don't need to make this a more complicated procedure than it is. People really do fret over this kind of thing much more than is called for.
    except that when you keep adding oil because you are checking it wrong and then you drain a bunch out the back of the airbox. No wonder my bike started smoking on morning start ups.

My bike likes the sidestand dance and like the oil in the center of the glass. It doesn't like to be checked at a gas stop. It likes at least fifteen minutes on the sidestand and overnight in the garage on the center stand for repeatable results

I'm just saying that my R12 and my buddy's R1150 just don't do that. They behave as described. I'm not saying you're wrong, but just that I've not seen it happen. Ours do sit on the sidestand for the gas fill, and that's it. Sure, drain down increases the level in the window, but never had overfilling be a problem.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    Suzuki DR 350

When I first got my bike, I was keeping the oil level above 3/4 up the sight glass and adding oil when it reached the middle of the glass. I would put the bike on the center stand when I shut it down hot and would check the oil level after 10 minutes or the next time I rode the bike. I was adding a bit of oil every few hundered miles and was getting blue smoke on cold start ups. When I started reading up on the subject and found the instructions to put the bike on the side stand for five minutes or more after getting it good and warm (5 bars on the temp gauge) and then putting it on the center stand, I found that I had been running the oil level above the top of the glass. That was at the same time that I found the drain plug at the back of the airbox and drained about a cup of oil from it.

In playing with my bike, I have found that I get the most repeatable results by parking it for at least fifteen minutes on the sidestand after riding long enough to get to 5 or 6 bars on the oil temp. After that, I push it into the garage and put it on the center stand for the night. I check it before the next ride. I also found that by keeping the oil half way up the glass, I have very little oil consumption. I usually hit the bottom of the site glass about the same time I am due for an oil change. If I check the oil at a gas stop, I leave it on the side stand and as long as i see some oil on the glass after a few minutes, I don't give it another thought.

My worst overfill was on my first highway ride with the bike. I ran 150 miles and stopped to fill up, putting the bike on the center stand. After that, I pushed it to a parking spot a few feet away and put it on the side stand stand. It sat for about 15 minutes while I grabbed something to eat. I put it back on the center stand to check the oil before getting back on the road and saw no oil in the sight glass. When I tipped the bkie to the side, I could see the oil start to come up the glass. I added half a quart of oil to get it above halfway on the glass and got back on the road. After reaching my destination, I parked it on the side stand for the night. In the morning, I put it on the center stand and the oil level was over the top of the glass. I had to tip the bike to the right just to get the oil level to dip to the top of the glass. When I drained oil out to get the level back to the 3/4 point, I took out more that I had just added. That was when I realized something was up and started searching these forums for an answer. I found that it was a pretty popular topic.

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...ain#post703293

The post that put me on the right path
    http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...818#post727818

Quote Originally Posted by rxcrider View Post
    In playing with my bike, I have found that I get the most repeatable results by parking it for at least fifteen minutes on the sidestand after riding long enough to get to 5 or 6 bars on the oil temp. After that, I push it into the garage and put it on the center stand for the night. I check it before the next ride. I also found that by keeping the oil half way up the glass, I have very little oil consumption. I usually hit the bottom of the site glass about the same time I am due for an oil change. If I check the oil at a gas stop, I leave it on the side stand and as long as i see some oil on the glass after a few minutes, I don't give it another thought.
    dead-on accurate.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Yeah, ok, I think we pretty much agree. If my oil is IN the sight glass, at least 1/4 of the glass covered, I leave it alone. If someone is adding oil when it is at 1/2, or more, than sure, you can overfill.

That's what I mean about overthinking it. If you see oil, ride.

If you let it drain down and you are at the bottom of the sight glass, and not due for an oil change, then add some (I add 1/5 of a quart--I carry an old 1/5 QT STP fuel treatment bottle with me filled with oil). 1/5 quart will put you back in the safety zone.

Unless your bike is really using oil, that's about as complicated as the procedure needs to be.

I use the sidestand, too.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    Suzuki DR 350

That's what I mean about overthinking it. If you see oil, ride.
    and if you don't see oil, don't assume it isn't there It might just be hiding

For some real fun, watch the sight glass while someone else starts your cold bike

For the record, If I didn't park on the center stand so much, I probably wouldn't have gotten in trouble with overfilling the oil.

At the risk of starting a "What exactly does it sound like?" sub-thread and risk another poor horse getting beaten... If you really get to know your bike, and listen to it, there IS a difference in sound when your oil gets to be "too low". A slight increase in valve noise, more metal, or just "more sound" is how I'd describe it. As heard at the engine and not the exhaust, of course.

My idle gets a bit rough when its low on oil. i can see the top edge of my windshield shaking a bit. My 1st thought had been "time to break out the Twin-Max"- but it has evolved to "better check the oil tonite before adjusting anything." Most times, she's just down a pint or so.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Unless I am killing mosquitoes with a blue fog or my boot has oil on it...or there is a puddle where one should not be...I just ride the things. Now my '64 Chebbie was a tad different.
    Our '95 1100R is the only oil eater in the bunch as it was prob babied at break in and always uses oil...it smokes at startup on occasion.
    Even when hitting performance targets on a few of the hot rod bikes, they almost never need oil between changes...which happen fairly often for us anyways...not early...6K. Yeah, if we are running 5-6K+ RPM a lot...maybe needs a bump to bring it level...and that is the following morning after sitting.
    Like mentioned, if it's in the window...ride!
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicVW View Post
    At the risk of starting a "What exactly does it sound like?" sub-thread and risk another poor horse getting beaten... If you really get to know your bike, and listen to it, there IS a difference in sound when your oil gets to be "too low". A slight increase in valve noise, more metal, or just "more sound" is how I'd describe it. As heard at the engine and not the exhaust, of course.
    Well, the thread will probably wonder now, but that's good. You raise a great point. ANY good engine guy I know really knows the sounds and feel of his machine. I recently heard a rattle, quite low but there, on my 89 Chevy truck. It ended up being the water pump shaft vibrating on a worn bearing--fixed before an issue.

I later felt a bit of vibration, sound free, in the brake pedal. That took a long time to figure out, and it had to worsen, but it ended up being a universal joint.

When you become "one" with the feel and sound a machine, it is a beautiful thing.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    Suzuki DR 350

FMaxwell
    ANY good engine guy I know really knows the sounds and feel of his machine.
    Even though it's a new bike to me, I could definitely hear all of the symptoms of the oil being a bit low -- slightly more valve noise, a more metallic sound overall. And the idle seemed just a little bit rougher. That's why I made it a priority to check it (even though I had to put it on the center stand with just the left arm due to the clavicle surgery on the right).
    Last edited by fmaxwell; 10-20-2012 at 09:18 AM.

Rally Rat
    On center stand, sight glass full, everything's good to go. Once you can see a gap when it's on the sidestand, drop 8 oz. in. and do the oil dance if you must.

This bikes use oil up to 20-25k, then things tend to calm down.

Knock on wood, once I stopped trying to do an elaborate dance of specific time on sidestand, then on centerstand, standing on one foot, I started getting consistent oil reads. Get home. Bike goes on sidestand while I get off then immediately on centerstand (if I'm checking oil, cleaning, etc.). No more fluctuations in visible oil level.
    R75/6, 2004 R1150RTA.

When I upgraded my 2002 R1150RT to Ohlins shocks, the oil level was spot on. After installing the shocks, the oil level changed to low in the site glass. I suppose the bikes profile front/back changed and was not sitting the same way as with the oem shocks. I just adjusted everything to fill again to the site glass mark.