Thread: Oil low: 2005 R1150RT-P

Hybrid View

FMaxwell

Oil low: 2005 R1150RT-P

Hello all. I purchased a 2005 R1150RT-P with 11K miles on it. I bought the BMW to replace a Ural that was totaled on 8/31 when a young driver turned in front of me.

Unfortunately, the accident left me with a fractured collarbone which was repaired with a plate, so I put off getting the BMW on the center stand (using just my left hand) to check the oil until today, 700 miles later.

The oil did not show in the sight glass. I added one full quart (Red Line 20W50 motorcycle oil) and that put it just above the center line of the sight glass.

Oil light never came on. Oil temperature was normal. Bike ran fine. Still seems fine, though a tiny bit quieter (as I'd expect after adding a quart of oil). I'm guessing that everything is fine, but I'd feel better if I heard from anyone with similar "oops" experiences.

please do yourself a favor and do a search on the best procedure to correctly read the oil level. you may well have over-filled it, possilby by enough to require some removal
    then again, it might be fine. but the methodolgy needed is different on these bikes from others.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

To save you some time, ride the bike to get it nice and warm, a good 20 mins or so, then put it on the center stand and read the oil level after a few minutes. The longer you wait, the higher the level goes as it drains down. I usually read the level after I'm done filling up with gas.

If you were truly that low, that low level warning should have come on. Mine comes on when I'm about at the 1/3 level on the sight glass. I have an R12RT, so I admit I don't know how the low oil warning works on an 1150.

Still, I doubt you did any harm if it was low, or at least not any immediate harm.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

'05 1150 does not have a low oil warning function. Just the red light if pressure is lost or drops very low.

The drill is to wait till oil has drained down before checking it. It can take a while. Some folks put it on the side stand for a little while, then on the center stand.

If you have a willing assistant the center stand isn't needed. Just sit on the bike anbd have that willing assistant get down and look at the sight glass.

It is unlikely you did any damage. You didn't lose oil pressure. I wouldn't recommend running a quart low but it is not likely to do any harm inless you are stuck in traffic in very hot weather and the oil breaks down.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

FMaxwell

Thanks!

I got home after a 1/2 hour ride, put the bike on the side stand as I took off my gear, shut the engine off, waited a couple of minutes, put it on the center stand, and went in the house. I came out about 15 minutes later to check the level and added oil. Started it, ran it for a few minutes, and then shut it down. Checked back in about 1/2 hour and oil was in the middle of the sight glass again.

Compared to checking the oil level in my Rotax-powered Buell 1125CR, the BMW is simple.

I'll probably change out the oil this weekend and use up my Mobil 1 V-Twin two quarts along with some Spectro or Motul synthetic MC oils. I need to use up the odd lots I've collected, which are all top-notch oils. Since the BMW is a lot less picky about oils than my Buells, it seems like a good way to freshen the oil while letting me use up the unopened remainder quarts of oil.

leave it on the sidestand for about 10-15 minutes before moving it onto the c-stand. oil needs to drain out of the cooler and lines, and that does not happen immediately. too quick a move and you could easily be overfilling it.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots