Thread: need some advice on looking at am R90/6

Hybrid View

need some advice on looking at am R90/6

howdy all,

i had an R75/6 (1976) in the '80s and it was a fantastic bike. i sold it along with my harleys when i bought a house and had kids. i just posted a picture of it in the "post your bike pics" thread.

now that my youngest will be going off to college next fall, i have broken the news to my wife that i am going to get another beemer.

i am kind of torn between something with a fairing, like an R100RS or RT, or an older R75 or R90. a more touring-oriented fully-faired bike appeals to the practical side of me, but in reality my wife would probably never ride on the back for more than an afternoon excursion. the R90 or R75 appeals more to me for nostalgic reasons, and will most likely be perfectly good for day trips and even week-long trips. i used to take my R75/6 on week-long trips throughout southwest VA and east TN all the time without a windshield or anything and it was fine. of course, i'm 55 now and a bit more interested in comfort than i was when i was 30.

so i am looking right now with lust at a craigslist posting for a really cherry-looking 1976 R90/6, listed at $3900. i have a few questions with that in mind:

1) is it ok to link to a craigslist posting here?

2) what would you all look for other than the typical stuff like smooth operation, good braking, overall appearance, no smoke, etc?

3) anything special i should ask the seller?

thanks in advance for your time and advice. if it's ok to link to a craigslist post, let me know and i will post it.

thanks,

-eric
    Last edited by ezwicky; 10-16-2012 at 09:11 PM. Reason: corrected some typos and added a word for clarity

Eric -

Since you're purpose is to get feedback on something you're looking at, posting the link would be fine. If the link is to something you have a vested interest in (your bike or a friends bike), that wouldn't be so cool. We'd love to see what you're looking at.

My first thought was that nearly $4K was a bit high...it had better be a 2-foot bike!
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

thanks kurt. this is the one i have my eye on. i would prefer it had bags, but it looks exactly like my old R75/6 and i figure i could fit bags later..

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/mcy/3332297142.html

by the way, what do you mean by a "2-foot bike"?

Quote Originally Posted by ezwicky View Post
    thanks kurt. this is the one i have my eye on. i would prefer it had bags, but it looks exactly like my old R75/6 and i figure i could fit bags later..

If I were you, I would grab it. You will find cosmetic things and some minor issues that need to be resolved, but this is a keeper and it looks good!
    Rick MacPherson
    Success is Not a Destination, But a Journey.
    Accredited Motorcycle Appraiser
    1968 BSA Starfire, 1976 BMW R75/6, 2009 R1200RT

wvrocks
    Looks good from 2 feet away as opposed to 20 feet away. Mine's about a 30 footer!

If I were you, I would grab it.
    Looks like a $3,900 bike to me! I'd be checking it out. Take cash!

If you want to compare, here's what they're offering for $6,100 ( and it hasn't made "reserve" yet).
    Granted, it has bags, a wind shield, and is as close to "show room" condition that you're likely to find.

See more > >http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1975-...item43b45b465a

edit- this auction ended (10/18/12) without hitting the reserve.

... and what you're looking at (maybe even a one-footer).

Last edited by Lmo1131; 10-18-2012 at 03:15 PM.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

There's a real nice R90/6 for sale here locally for $4500 that does have a shield and bags as well.

Just looking at the pics, it's no nicer than the one posted, so $3900 may not be out of line.

Apparently, /6's are going for more than /7's, which I suppose makes sense. Good ones may be a little rarer.

As far as what to ask the seller, find out how old the tires are, and if he has any recorded maintenance records. According to the CL ad, it looks like some recent maintenance has been done. It may not be a bad idea to find out exactly how long this person has actually owned this bike.

The ad also calls this a LWB (long wheel base) bike. Aren't all /6's LWB's? Just asking.
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia

Quote Originally Posted by Lmo1131 View Post
    Looks like a $3,900 bike to me! I'd be checking it out. Take cash!

lew, those images aren't from the listing i'm looking at. this one looks a bit cleaner. the listing i'm looking at is:

thanks,

-eric

howdy all,

i am kind of torn between something with a fairing, like an R100RS or RT, or an older R75 or R90. a more touring-oriented fully-faired bike appeals to the practical side of me, but in reality my wife would probably never ride on the back for more than an afternoon excursion. the R90 or R75 appeals more to me for nostalgic reasons, and will most likely be perfectly good for day trips and even week-long trips.
    Eric, The /6 looks sweet...get it if you can...but once you start riding an airhead again, be prepared, because some funny things will start happening to you...sneaking out of work early, ignoring the yard work, offering to run errands (the long way)... looking for any excuse to get out and ride, and soon you will realize you NEED an RT or RS TOO...a nice faired bike in the stable for two-up touring, rainy or cold days, etc, but there is no beating a classic naked bike for those warm summer days in the mountains on the twisties with the air in your face and ...well you get the picture.... (uh, I know from experience...but I started with an RT and went the other direction....) good luck with your quest
    michael