Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Please move the deer crossing

Quote Originally Posted by AKBeemer View Post
    Now you're just piling on. I think I detected a bit of a south Texas drawl.
    Nah. I was raised in North Dakota, but I did leave as soon as feasible.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

[QUOTE=walterK75;828068]She could even run for political office. Scaaaaary[/QUOTE

She's probably already a politician
    2010 R1200RT
    GO HOGS!

Rally Rat
    Yes, that was from the Y-94 (WDAY-FM) morning show. I think Paul is on the right track, she MUST be from neighboring Minnesota. The clue is in her statement about the "Minnesota and North Dakota" transportation departments placing those signs out there.... A good NoDak'er would put the ND before the Mn. Though she did mention 55 AND 65 mph roads... puts the burden back on ND, because Mn roads are all 55, except 70mph zones on Interstate and some divided 4-lane highways.

This puzzle does remind me of the old joke... Why doesn't North Dakota have a professional football team? Because then Minnesota would want one.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBeemer View Post
    She votes
    She drives
    She probably raises children
    She may have a job requiring decision making
    Actually, wasn't that Sarah Palin?
    Wes Jones
    Annapolis, MD
    2012 K1600GT, Vermillion Red
    2013 S1000RR, Granite Gray

On the way to work this morning a deer crossed the road in front of me. I was no where near a Deer Crossing sign.

Can the deer be cited for Jaywalking?
    Experience IS NOT the best teacher! Someone else's experience is the best teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by PittsDriver View Post
    Actually, wasn't that Sarah Palin?
    Get real will you? Sarah Palin would just stop, pull out her hunting rifle and shoot the deer.
    Experience IS NOT the best teacher! Someone else's experience is the best teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Artiee View Post
    Get real will you? Sarah Palin would just stop, pull out her hunting rifle and shoot the deer.
    I don't think she'd stop. She fires from the hip., She'd just kinda aim, pint and shoot.

I say yeah, get him for jaywalking.
    2000 R1100RT-P

So I was out for a ride a couple of months ago on one of the nicer roads in my area of
    southern Ontario, the curvaceous 507. A few klix south of Gooderham, out of the blue, a deer appeared seemingly out of nowhere. I've ridden this road many times at speeds bordering on the criminal or, at the very least, unsafe, I'll admit. Posted at 80 kph, one feels the need to crank it up to about 120 before it starts to get fun. I didn't see the deer until it was about 10 yards in front of me. Instinctively I got on the brakes and, through the windshield (it was that close) the last thing I saw of the animal was it's ass as it continued on it's path across the road. In the words of Maxwell Smart, I missed it by "that much". Curiously, my heart barely skipped a beat. I thought: "hmmm, lucky me". I finished my ride home at a more modest 30 over.
    Now if there had have been a sign warning the deer about speeding motorcycles.....
    Last edited by Bullet; 10-18-2012 at 09:10 PM.
    It's a tough job but somebody's gotta do it.

iscream-stop
    Shame on all those rebel deer that do not cross at the crossings.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    The more I think about this, it is the type of thing that I used to do, just to get folks excited.

She's playing us. Of course she's playing us. No one, surely, no one, could possibly be serious, saying what she said. I think that she's hoodwinked us all.
    Hey, I'm a bureaucrat in the Gouvrement du Canada, and I hear this type of logic from my colleaques on a daily basis. They learn it at univertisty, in Poli Sci and sociology courses.

Quote Originally Posted by EXR911 View Post
    I agree that it was probably done as a hoax.
    But, as a retired Canadian (Province of Ontario) bureaucrat let me point out the obvious flaw in her logic that the signs were made to be read by the deer. The signs are aligned so that they could only be read by the motorists - for the deer to be able to read them, the signs would have to turned 90 degrees (flat side facing the trail along which the deer were traveling) and be either written with a warning in the appropriate language (?) or bearing a symbol which a deer would recognize as a danger sign.

EXR911
    Your right about the signs being aligned for the motorists to read. However, one has to ask the question how does a deer, out amidst the woods and vegetation, find its way to the deer crossing with its sign posted to warn the motorists?

I postulate there are additional signs out in the woods posted soley for the benift of the deer to help guide them to the one posted along the roadway. I've never stopped at a deer crossing sign and gone into the woods to see how the deer find their way to the deer crossing so I don't know for certain, but isn't it possible there are other signs, just for the deer, which we don't see from the roadway?

Quote Originally Posted by Artiee View Post
    Your right about the signs being aligned for the motorists to read. However, one has to ask the question how does a deer, out amidst the woods and vegetation, find its way to the deer crossing with its sign posted to warn the motorists?

I postulate there are additional signs out in the woods posted soley for the benift of the deer to help guide them to the one posted along the roadway. I've never stopped at a deer crossing sign and gone into the woods to see how the deer find their way to the deer crossing so I don't know for certain, but isn't it possible there are other signs, just for the deer, which we don't see from the roadway?

Deer can't read/recognize our signs.
    We can't read/recognize deer signs.

It only makes sense.

Larry

2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad