Thread: 2011 GSA 1200 Rear Rotor

Hybrid View

Fat Bear

2011 GSA 1200 Rear Rotor

What would the causes be for the rear rotor on a 2011 GSA 1200 with 30K kms to become warped?

Excessive heat , inability to move at the mounting points.

Joe,

Fat Bear
    I'm just not sure what I should be doing to remedy the situation? It seems to me that having an issue like this with only 30K kms is premature to say the least. The rear wheel is not spinning freely - in addition to replacing the rotor, what other precautions should I consider taking to prevent recurrence?

Quote Originally Posted by Badwolf1 View Post
    I'm just not sure what I should be doing to remedy the situation? It seems to me that having an issue like this with only 30K kms is premature to say the least. The rear wheel is not spinning freely - in addition to replacing the rotor, what other precautions should I consider taking to prevent recurrence?
    Something is binding. I don't recall off the top of my head if that is a floating caliper or not. If it is, the pins under the rubber boots need to be cleaned and greased with brake caliper grease. If not, then probably pistons are bidning in the caliper bore. It needs a thorough cleaning and/or a rebuild.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

One Man Wolfpack Kent Niederhofer's Avatar

Rear Rotor Warping

I think the answer to your original question is in a comment you made about the rear wheel not spinning freely. It sounds like the brake is binding on the rotor, thus not allowing it to spin freely. The drag from the binding brake probably caused the rotor to overheat and warp. Remember that a brake isn't intended to be engaged 100% of the time especially as you are riding -- only when you are stopping. Now what you need to figure out is why was the brake binding. That's your root cause issue with the warped rotor. Good luck.

Kent

Hi,

I had a 2008 R1200GS, and I have a 2011 R1200GS, both of which I bought new, and both equipped with ABS, and I wouldn't say that the rear wheel ever spun completely freely on either of them. Rather there appears to be a slight brake drag. I have assumed that this is normal.

If I spin the rear wheel by hand the wheel would turn for a couple or three revolutions and then stop. But if I pushed the caliper pads away from the rotor it would spin much more freely.

I wonder if the drag that I have described on my bike isn't normal for a bike with ABS? Certainly the rear brake pads on my bike don't appear to wearing prematurely. Does your bike have ABS? If you spin the rear wheel on a new bike in the dealership I wonder how many times it would spin before it came to a stop.