Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Any help for pain in my back?

Any help for pain in my back?

I am in my last two days (maybe three) of a two-week trip to the West Coast. Got a Russel saddle installed last Tuesday and it is just fine-no posterior pain at all. Truly all day comfort. But my back! I get this pain after about an hour of riding between my shoulder blades. It stays with me all the time on the bike. I can stretch it somewhat for some relief, but it comes back shortly. When I get off it goes away. Any advice? How about the usual pain relievers, aspirin, Advil, Ibuprofam? Which works best for muscular pain like this? If it weren't for this and a weak battery, I would be thoroughly enjoying my ride.

Larry

If you're looking for medical advice, I use this Aleve you see advertised where you only need to take 2 a day. I actually just take one in the morning and am fine all day.
    My knees bother me when I am working (driving bus). I have to load luggage and am crawling around in the (aluminum) luggage bay floor. That doesn't really bother me when I'm doing it, but when I am behind the wheel for an hour plus that when it bothers me, and the Aleve does help. It is expensive, but I think it evens out because a bottle lasts so long.
    87 K75S, bought new, now sold
    07 K1200GT Bought new, now traded in
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

Quote Originally Posted by royaltyl View Post
    I am in my last two days (maybe three) of a two-week trip to the West Coast. Got a Russel saddle installed last Tuesday and it is just fine-no posterior pain at all. Truly all day comfort. But my back! I get this pain after about an hour of riding between my shoulder blades. It stays with me all the time on the bike. I can stretch it somewhat for some relief, but it comes back shortly. When I get off it goes away. Any advice? How about the usual pain relievers, aspirin, Advil, Ibuprofam? Which works best for muscular pain like this? If it weren't for this and a weak battery, I would be thoroughly enjoying my ride.

Larry
    A heavy jacket and a heavy jacket combined with handlebars that could be in a better position (higher or closer to you) can cause that kind of knife edge pain. You could try wearing your riding jacket around for errands (not riding) and see if the hanging weight of the jacket gets the pain going. Good luck. OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

I am kind of stuck with what I have. A R1200RT, which riding position seems perfect. It is 5 Am here in Gunnison, CO I am up every 3 hours starting and warming my bike so it will go in the morning when I am ready to leave. It is 27F this morning and doing this it will start. Leaving it sit all night and it won't. This is with a battery which checked perfect at the dealer in CA. Perfect or not it is getting replaced. I will start the day with 2 aleve and see what happens. Thanks everyone.

Larry

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    The sharp pain between your shoulder blades is because you're reaching too far for the bars. Bar risers fixed it for me.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Find a good Chiropractor!

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    The sharp pain between your shoulder blades is because you're reaching too far for the bars. Bar risers fixed it for me.
    +1. Riser/bar backs solved that problem for me.
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288

ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    Also don't hold on to the grips so tightly. Relax a bit while riding.
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador, Biergarten co-chair
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep, camping chair

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    Tom beat me to it - great advice!

Your posture is flawed. Get risers that set the handlebars both up a little and back a little - makes a world of difference reference the kind of discomfort you're experiencing.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Quote Originally Posted by manicmechanic View Post
    Also don't hold on to the grips so tightly. Relax a bit while riding.
    And do a shoulder lower often...amazing how your shoulders rise to your ears. It's something that everyone does...check it out every few miles.

And is your bike in an unheated space? And what viscosity oil?
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    I've had a bad back since I crushed 5 vertebra in a car accident in 1968 (doctors were shocked that I could still walk). On the advice of my doctor, before I ride, I take one generic Tylenol (Acetaminophen) and 2 generic Aleve(Naproxen). By taking the medicine before I ride, I find that my back seldom hurts during the ride. After some research, I found a lot of the expensive medicines use a similar combination. I also frequently take generic prescription Ultram (Tramadol) with the above medications (also on the advice of my doctor).

I have spent the last 44 years trying different things to help my back pain and the above combination has worked better than anything else I have tried. I really appreciate my attractive doctor who happens to be my neighbor and the daughter of a high school classmate.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

The bike is outside and the oil is 10W-40. The waking up during the night and starting the engine seems to work; no road service today.

Thanks.

My 2008 RT has its original battery and 10W-50 motor oil and it started fine left out overnight during the RA rally (at Silverthorne), where temps made it to the 20s as well.

As always ... if you're concerned about heat (or cold) use synthetic motor oil.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

You are obviously not a Yankee fan. This sort of thing never happens to a Yankee fan.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Merlin III
    I have the same problem in that same location. The primary cause for me is the weight of my helmet and the way I hold my head. I had the same problem wearing the steel pot in my military days when I didn't ride.

So for me, I try to consciously hold my head in a position that minimizes the stress. My favorite medication for muscle or joint pain is Ibuprofen. Good luck!