Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Believe it or not: 9th time my 05 GS is broken in half for leaking seals

Dixie, the land of cotton

So far no leaks

I picked up my bike from Bloodworth on Friday 10-19 and have put 400 miles on it without any leaks. While searching for leaks I found that a bolt that attaches the rear of the transmission to the frame was not tightened. I was able to remove it by hand. I searched for other loose bolts but thankfully I did not find any.

I modified a statement posted by racer7 and sent it to Anthony, who is my contact at BMW NA.

The following is a quote I sent to Anthony:

"Answer me one question: Do I have a unrepairable defective bike or does BMW have inept service technicians? It is either one or the other or maybe both. Anthony, I am not trying to be a smart ass, but can you think of any other reason for the repeated seal problems with my bike? I look forward to your response."

I will post any reply I receive for Anthony.

Anthony at BMW NA has been very helpful getting this matter resolved and has been my advocate between Bruce the BMW Regional Service Rep and Bloodworth.

Quote Originally Posted by espressoforyou View Post
    I will post any reply I receive for Anthony.
    Don't hold your breath. You've asked that he diss one of BMWNA's dealers, or diss the mothership, his employer's owner and supplier. Neither will happen.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

You are probably correct dbrick

The reason why is sent the question to Anthony is that he would be forced to spend a few seconds trying to come up with another answer, but then realize that there is NOT any other possible answer.

I will be sending this same question with a brief history of my bikes repeated seal failures to other BMW corporate personnel. Might not do any good but maybe it will help the next person with a defective BMW bike.

I think the new wethead is going to be a good bike, but I would not want to buy the first year of production. My 2005 GS had a early 2004 build date and the leaking seals issue was a common problem with the early models.

Let some one else buy the "beta bike" this time. I will wait until BMW sorts out the first year production issues that are bound to happen.

Several members have asked for my vin# to compare build dates

Several members with leaking seal issues have asked for my vin # to compare build date.

My vin # is WB10317A55ZL77208 and had a build date of 11-2004.

If you have had a leaking counterbalance shaft seal, engine output(main seal), transmission input or transmission output seal leak post your vin # and I will put a spreadsheet together.

Thanks

Sent you mine this morning.Ed
    Ed Baker