Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: EPA might 'slash' Ethanol in gas

169nlulaforest

Ethanols the best

I've been running it since the early eighties I prefer it. Why just this weekend I cranked my R1150RT the gas tanks been on the shelf for 2 years complete with Ethanol and no staybill (sounds like a duck) the bike cranked right up runs fine. Indy cars been running pure Ethanol every since I can remember haven't seen any problems there. I'll never forget the moaning and groaning when they took Lead out of gas, some people still haven't let that one go.

And lets not forgot THE HEMP CAR

http://www.hempcar.org/

So E10 & E15 fuels pollutes less.

But they're less efficent, so we get fewer miles per gallon and pay more for it. So we end up using more of the less polluting, but higher priced gas?

Sounds like those toilets that use less water, but you have to flush 2-3 times more to get the job done.

First post?

Quote Originally Posted by 169nlulaforest View Post
    I've been running it since the early eighties I prefer it. Why just this weekend I cranked my R1150RT the gas tanks been on the shelf for 2 years complete with Ethanol and no staybill (sounds like a duck) the bike cranked right up runs fine. Indy cars been running pure Ethanol every since I can remember haven't seen any problems there. I'll never forget the moaning and groaning when they took Lead out of gas, some people still haven't let that one go.

And lets not forgot THE HEMP CAR

http://www.hempcar.org/
    Welcome. Nice to make your first post a troll alert.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

Fred Trimble
    A couple of comments on reduced mileage with Ethanol. The energy content is about 70% of straight gas (per volume). Therefore, a E10 fuel has about 97% the energy of straight gas. E15 = 95.5% the energy. As an aside for those of us that drive cars, the EPA (about 8 miles from my office and a customer of the test systems we make) uses 100% gas for all mileage tests, as do all car manufacturers. The fuel standard was set in, I believe, the 70's and hasn't changed since. Therefore, your mileage may vary from published EPA figures.
    Fred Trimble
    1985 K100RT
    2009 R1200RT

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by 169nlulaforest View Post
    Not sure, whether this post is supposed to be taken serious or if it is indeed a troll talking, but....here are a few things:

If spelled and pronounced correctly, STABIL does not sound like a duck...

If you really left a tank full of ethanol "enriched" (what an oxymoron) untreated fuel on the shelf for 2 years, and your bike started, you have found what owners of small engines all over the U.S. are looking for...

Indy cars and dragsters run on alcohol, because they have completely different engines, which are being torn down and completely rebuilt after each race. Do this with your bike, Please!....

Unleaded gas has an ill effect on older engine's valve seats. Those people who haven't let that go, have such old vehicles. I do....

169nlulaforest

Fossil Heads

Who cares how you spell it (its crap) Marketing at its finest, yea their torn down and completely rebuilt after each race cause they run the piss out of em. By the By dragsters run Nitro not alcohol. I ran ethanol "enriched" fuel in my 1946 C85 Continental for 15 years over 500 hours sat on the runway months at a time never hurt a thing.

http://www.differencebetween.net/sci...l-and-alcohol/

Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    Not sure, whether this post is supposed to be taken serious or if it is indeed a troll talking, but....here are a few things:

If spelled and pronounced correctly, STABIL does not sound like a duck...

If you really left a tank full of ethanol "enriched" (what an oxymoron) untreated fuel on the shelf for 2 years, and your bike started, you have found what owners of small engines all over the U.S. are looking for...

Indy cars and dragsters run on alcohol, because they have completely different engines, which are being torn down and completely rebuilt after each race. Do this with your bike, Please!....

Unleaded gas has an ill effect on older engine's valve seats. Those people who haven't let that go, have such old vehicles. I do....

OK...this subject has once again headed down a bumpy road and moving over to Campfire. It's gotten off track from the OP...as usual.

Reminder to follow the Posting Guidelines while participating.

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/faq.php?...tingguidelines

Thanks...
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Ethanol gas reduces mpg

E10 (also called ÔÇ£gasoholÔÇØ) is a blend of 10% ethanol and 90% gasoline sold in many parts of the country. All auto manufacturers approve the use of blends of 10% ethanol or less in their gasoline vehicles. However, vehicles will typically go 3ÔÇô4% fewer miles per gallon on E10 than on straight gasoline.

E85, a blend of 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline, can be used in flexible fuel vehicles (FFVs), which are specially designed to run on gasoline, E85, or any mixture of the two. FFVs are offered by several vehicle manufacturers.

MPG. FFVs operating on E85 usually experience a 25ÔÇô30% drop in miles per gallon due to ethanolÔÇÖs lower energy content.

See: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/ethanol.shtml

This does not take into account the cost and energy used to produce ethanol.
    Walter

All government, of course, is against liberty.
    H. L. Mencken

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    OK...this subject has once again headed down a bumpy road and moving over to Campfire. It's gotten off track from the OP...as usual.

Reminder to follow the Posting Guidelines while participating.

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/faq.php?...tingguidelines

Thanks...
    I am participating in several motorcycle forums and it seems that here, it is the most difficult to adhere to the "posting guidelines".
    Maybe it would help, to point out exactly how a thread got "off track" and violated the posting guidelines when such is being determined by the Admin.
    I keep reading the posts and all I see is a discussion about E10 and E15 and the different opinions about it. Was this not supposed to happen?

169nlulaforest

E85

Quote Originally Posted by walterK75 View Post
    Ethanol gas reduces mpg

E10 (also called ÔÇ£gasoholÔÇØ) is a blend of 10% ethanol and 90% gasoline sold in many parts of the country. All auto manufacturers approve the use of blends of 10% ethanol or less in their gasoline vehicles. However, vehicles will typically go 3ÔÇô4% fewer miles per gallon on E10 than on straight gasoline.

E85, a blend of 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline, can be used in flexible fuel vehicles (FFVs), which are specially designed to run on gasoline, E85, or any mixture of the two. FFVs are offered by several vehicle manufacturers.

MPG. FFVs operating on E85 usually experience a 25ÔÇô30% drop in miles per gallon due to ethanolÔÇÖs lower energy content.

Thanks for the post now I know where to get some E85.

Quote Originally Posted by walterK75 View Post
    Ethanol gas reduces mpg

Mileage reduction tracks with energy content reduction. That isn't rocket science.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Mileage reduction tracks with energy content reduction. That isn't rocket science.

If that were true I would lose about 1 mpg worst case in my FJ Cruiser vs regular ole gas when in fact I typically lose 4-5 mpg. I know this is a limited sample but I see it to some degree with every vehicle I have ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    I am participating in several motorcycle forums and it seems that here, it is the most difficult to adhere to the "posting guidelines".
    Maybe it would help, to point out exactly how a thread got "off track" and violated the posting guidelines when such is being determined by the Admin.
    I keep reading the posts and all I see is a discussion about E10 and E15 and the different opinions about it. Was this not supposed to happen?
    My take... instead of in a PM to you so all can play.

These topics almost always end up with a political view or difference...I moved it to Campfire to let folks continue kicking the embers unless it gets political .

As you also noted in your previous reply and another poster picked up on...it was near a troll type of response in one post. I was just letting a few new folks understand the rules...nobody was in violation to a point of action...yet.

Motorrad seems to catch everything as it sits at the top of the page...I move a lot of content based on the subject description under Motorrad. Several ethanol threads have come & gone in Campfire...and definitely in the Tavern where it got ungentlemanly to say the least.

I don't sit here ALL day to monitor this...I volunteer as a moderator, not an administrator and am outdoors most of the time and usually sitting on a motorcycle enjoying life...I didn't want to have a bigger issue when I did get back to the Forum.
    Yes, other forums do things differently and I choose not to go to most for those reasons. There are also political sites out the yang for those who choose to spend their time doing so.

Back to the possibility of ethanol being cut as first posted... I'm done.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

The solution for me is simple.....

Crops for feeding the worlds poor and hungry....

Hydrocarbons for fuel and energy.......
    Experience IS NOT the best teacher! Someone else's experience is the best teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Artiee View Post
    The solution for me is simple.....

Crops for feeding the worlds poor and hungry....

Hydrocarbons for fuel and energy.......
    Only time separates crops from hydrocarbons
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744