Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: EPA might 'slash' Ethanol in gas

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    I have read that we in USA, have the highest priced sugar in the world-so a lot politically will have to give to make real headway on that type fuel-BTW,the Brazilian version is not the kind you eat.
    A big cause is sugar tariffs and quotas:

If sugar quotas were eliminated, and American consumers and business had been able to purchase 100% their sugar in 2009 at the world price in 2009 (average of 22.1 cents per pound) instead of the average U.S. price of 38.1 cents, they would have saved almost $2.5 billion. In other words, forcing Americans to pay 38.1 cents for inefficiently produced beet sugar instead of 22.1 cents for efficiently produced cane sugar, costs Americans an additional 16 cents per pound for the 15.4 billion pounds of American sugar produced annually, which translates to almost $2.5 billion. (Note: This is an estimate based on the assumptions that: a) the amount of sugar consumed in the U.S. and b) world prices, wouldn't change.)

Bottom Line: The cost of most trade protection is largely invisible and hard to calculate, but the cost of sugar protection is directly visible and measurable, since the USDA and the futures markets regularly report prices for both high-cost domestic sugar and low-cost world sugar. Like all protection, sugar tariffs exist to protect an inefficient domestic industry (sugar beet farmers) from more efficient foreign producers (cane sugar farmers), and come at the expense of the U.S. consumers and the American companies using sugar as an input, and make our country worse off, on net.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post

Bottom Line: The cost of most trade protection is largely invisible and hard to calculate, but the cost of sugar protection is directly visible and measurable, since the USDA and the futures markets regularly report prices for both high-cost domestic sugar and low-cost world sugar. Like all protection, sugar tariffs exist to protect an inefficient domestic industry (sugar beet farmers) from more efficient foreign producers (cane sugar farmers), and come at the expense of the U.S. consumers and the American companies using sugar as an input, and make our country worse off, on net.
    That's what they say every time we ship / lose jobs overseas. Our national interest includes more than getting the cheapest thing every time. Pretty soon we can all buy all the cheapest stuff with our unemployment checks - Oh wait, where do those checks cove from if we ship all the jobs to the cheapest place??

Free trade seems to be a one-way street, to me.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    Maybe it would help, to point out exactly how a thread got "off track" and violated the posting guidelines when such is being determined by the Admin.
    Uh, can you now see how we are pretty far off track?? We're not talking about sugar subsidies and jobs going overseas. A bit far from the original post methinks!!

Anymore off track and this will be headed for the barn!

Admin out!
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    A big cause is sugar tariffs and quotas:

If sugar quotas were eliminated, and American consumers and business had been able to purchase 100% their sugar in 2009 at the world price in 2009 (average of 22.1 cents per pound) instead of the average U.S. price of 38.1 cents, they would have saved almost $2.5 billion. In other words, forcing Americans to pay 38.1 cents for inefficiently produced beet sugar instead of 22.1 cents for efficiently produced cane sugar, costs Americans an additional 16 cents per pound for the 15.4 billion pounds of American sugar produced annually, which translates to almost $2.5 billion. (Note: This is an estimate based on the assumptions that: a) the amount of sugar consumed in the U.S. and b) world prices, wouldn't change.)

Those cane sugar quota and tariffs were aimed at a fellow named Castro that had a cash crop called sugar. When other countries, like Canada, dropped their tariffs, many of our bakeries and confectioners (i.e., Hershey) moved production to Canada and export to the US.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    That's what they say every time we ship / lose jobs overseas. Our national interest includes more than getting the cheapest thing every time. Pretty soon we can all buy all the cheapest stuff with our unemployment checks - Oh wait, where do those checks cove from if we ship all the jobs to the cheapest place??

Free trade seems to be a one-way street, to me.
    Paul,

When was the last time you heard an American CEO claim that his American team develops and builds the best product in the world? It's just not important to the MBA set.

Jon
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Uh, can you now see how we are pretty far off track?? We're not talking about sugar subsidies and jobs going overseas. A bit far from the original post methinks!!

Anymore off track and this will be headed for the barn!

Admin out!
    I guess you saw this coming As I usually do not participate in political discussions in non-political forums, I will leave this here table also.

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    When was the last time you heard an American CEO claim that his American team develops and builds the best product in the world? It's just not important to the MBA set.
    Rather than smear a particular group, why not post the more accurate statement that it's just not important to lots of customers. (See "cheapest thing on a BMW.")

"Best product in the world" is limited to luxury goods, don't you think?
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    Oh, I don't know...toilet paper falls in there somewhere
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Oh, I don't know...toilet paper falls in there somewhere
    Notice how thin the 1000-sheet stuff is these days?

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    Rather than smear a particular group, why not post the more accurate statement that it's just not important to lots of customers. (See "cheapest thing on a BMW.")

Sorry, I can't go there with you. I started working in the large industrial equipment segment of the economy. It really meant something when you watched the 20 to 33-ft rotors and scroll casings being built for the largest hydro-electric dams across the world.

That isn't a luxury good. It's the type of pure raw equipment that powers a nation and a modern world.

BTW - the German gov't invests heavily in maintaining a lead in many such industries.