Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: EPA might 'slash' Ethanol in gas

Hybrid View

Touring Rider

EPA might 'slash' Ethanol in gas

Anyone besides me see the article Friday that suggests that the Government is considering 'slashing' (their word) the amount of Ethonol in Gasoline due to the reduced corn crop and resultant rise in corn price? I saw it in two different news services (USA Today and MSN) so I hope that there is something to it. Supposedly a decision is to be made in November.

We'll see...
    Gary
    Casa Grande, AZ
    2011 R1200RT

That would be really great news. I found a source for 0E fuel a month ago. My car and both bikes are getting better mileage. A break even due to the higher price of the gas but I'm happy.
    Marty Hill
    12 GS black/Boxer Cup Replika

ride till you can't

Hmmm, that contradicts a story in the Wall Street Journal last week about them increasing the alcohol percentage to +15%.

I'll see if I can find it.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

The 15% thing has been the grand plan for some time.

Let's hope current reality changes it.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

No longer a member here
    The European community has decided to end the subsidies for growers that provide the base for producing ethanol by 2015 or 2016.
    If there is no incentive to make it, it may go away.
    Maybe we see a similar trend over here

Can I get a "Hallelujah" Brothers!

na1g
    Hallelujah!

If ethanol gets slashed, I would expect the corn lobby to put out contracts on some government officials.
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

I wouldn't put much faith in the rationality of such a choice. Washington is pay to play and the corn lobby has bought a lot of the (subsititute your own epithet) folks in Congress.
    The idea of using a food crop to burn, especially when it take so much petroleum to make it that there is little net energy gain, has never made sense except as a subsidy for farmers.
    Brazilians make it from sugar cane and so could we if sugar wasn't such a screwed up commodity in this country- long history of political corruption there as well.

We're already seeing a lot of inflation in food prices, a concern clearly reflected in public surveys but hidden by the inaccurate way the govt does COLA math and corn isn't what's doing it yet- at the moment its a combo Bernanke printing money and fuel prices...

Ethanol not for an additive.

Lets be sensible, make whiskey from corn not ethanol.
    Gene T

Quote Originally Posted by racer7 View Post
    I wouldn't put much faith in the rationality of such a choice. Washington is pay to play and the corn lobby has bought a lot of the (subsititute your own epithet) folks in Congress.
    The idea of using a food crop to burn, especially when it take so much petroleum to make it that there is little net energy gain, has never made sense except as a subsidy for farmers.
    Brazilians make it from sugar cane and so could we if sugar wasn't such a screwed up commodity in this country- long history of political corruption there as well.

We're already seeing a lot of inflation in food prices, a concern clearly reflected in public surveys but hidden by the inaccurate way the govt does COLA math and corn isn't what's doing it yet- at the moment its a combo Bernanke printing money and fuel prices...
    I have read that we in USA, have the highest priced sugar in the world-so a lot politically will have to give to make real headway on that type fuel-BTW,the Brazilian version is not the kind you eat.

Ethanol gas reduces mpg

E10 (also called ÔÇ£gasoholÔÇØ) is a blend of 10% ethanol and 90% gasoline sold in many parts of the country. All auto manufacturers approve the use of blends of 10% ethanol or less in their gasoline vehicles. However, vehicles will typically go 3ÔÇô4% fewer miles per gallon on E10 than on straight gasoline.

E85, a blend of 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline, can be used in flexible fuel vehicles (FFVs), which are specially designed to run on gasoline, E85, or any mixture of the two. FFVs are offered by several vehicle manufacturers.

MPG. FFVs operating on E85 usually experience a 25ÔÇô30% drop in miles per gallon due to ethanolÔÇÖs lower energy content.

See: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/ethanol.shtml

This does not take into account the cost and energy used to produce ethanol.
    Walter

All government, of course, is against liberty.
    H. L. Mencken

169nlulaforest

E85

Quote Originally Posted by walterK75 View Post
    Ethanol gas reduces mpg

E10 (also called ÔÇ£gasoholÔÇØ) is a blend of 10% ethanol and 90% gasoline sold in many parts of the country. All auto manufacturers approve the use of blends of 10% ethanol or less in their gasoline vehicles. However, vehicles will typically go 3ÔÇô4% fewer miles per gallon on E10 than on straight gasoline.

E85, a blend of 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline, can be used in flexible fuel vehicles (FFVs), which are specially designed to run on gasoline, E85, or any mixture of the two. FFVs are offered by several vehicle manufacturers.

MPG. FFVs operating on E85 usually experience a 25ÔÇô30% drop in miles per gallon due to ethanolÔÇÖs lower energy content.

Thanks for the post now I know where to get some E85.

Quote Originally Posted by walterK75 View Post
    Ethanol gas reduces mpg

Mileage reduction tracks with energy content reduction. That isn't rocket science.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Mileage reduction tracks with energy content reduction. That isn't rocket science.

If that were true I would lose about 1 mpg worst case in my FJ Cruiser vs regular ole gas when in fact I typically lose 4-5 mpg. I know this is a limited sample but I see it to some degree with every vehicle I have ever had.