Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Knee replacement

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar

Knee replacement

Anybody have one done recently? What was the recovery time like?
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

chiltech500
    http://http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/s...highlight=knee

Hi, I did a search for knee brace earlier and came accross this thread - looks like good news for you

Thanks for the link, it's a bit mangled, but I found the thread.

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Knee Replacement

I had my knee replaced 12/23/10. Was home within 3 days walking with walker, in home therapy for about 4 weeks 3 times a week and on the off days the therapy was performed by me 3 times a day everyday. That is the biggest thing you have to do. Pain was minimal and was off pain meds really soon, within 2 weeks. Done lots of walking in the house and before 3 weeks were up I was out walking on the driveway just short distances but moving. I'm now almost 2 years out and am doing anything I want. We went to the Rally in 2011 in Bloomsburg and I had been riding before that on practice rides as we like to call them. Getting my distance up so I could make the trip. I guess you are the driver so it wouldn't maybe take you as long. I had to get my leg up over the LT. Hope this helps you make the choice of getting it done easier. Just do your therapy. My Dr travels the world teaching other doctors his skills. I have talked to other people that have had knee replacement and have been in lots of pain right after surgery but with DR Whiteside of Mo Bone and Joint you don't have that to look forward to.

Shirley Schrader

Thanks, biggest problem is that I work for myself and have no backup. Other big problem is that the standard transmission car has to go (left knee).

And I get it about the PT, my mother had hers done 20 years ago and never did any PT. I won't be like that.

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Hi. I had both knees replace in Feb. 2008. Spent 3 day in Hospital, 1 week in a rehab hospital.

Went to the doctor the third week, was walking without the walker. was put on a cane. 6 weeks with (3 days) of pt.

In July rode to the Wyoming Rally. and back. (4200 mile in 2 weeks.

I ride a 2000K1200LTC and pull a camper.

If you want to talk call me 610-349-4168

MT helmet
    [COLOR=Red]NO ONE ELSE ADMITS IT[FONT=Courier New]

Quote Originally Posted by mthelmet View Post
    If you want to talk call me 610-349-4168

Thanks, MT. I haven't decided to do it yet, and I know I'm just delaying the inevitable. At some point I might call.

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    Thanks, biggest problem is that I work for myself and have no backup. Other big problem is that the standard transmission car has to go (left knee).

And I get it about the PT, my mother had hers done 20 years ago and never did any PT. I won't be like that.
    How bad is the knee? If the knee is really bad (i.e., lots of pain) you'll be dancing in the street in no time. My father waited many years and really lost mobility before he had his first knee replaced. Within two weeks he was more mobile and had less pain than before the operation.

I don't see the need to dump the stick shift car.
    Cave contents: 99 R11RS, 2013 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & DW744

I'm having my left knee done next week, Thursday the 25th. Then Nov. 29th the right knee. The doctor says it will take 6 weeks to recover, one day in the hospital. I figure my riding is done until next spring.

I had my left one done in July 2010. I was able to ride the R100RS by early Oct. but couldn't bend it enough to ride a K1200GT till Nov. Moving the bike around was no problem just a little painfull to shift for a couple of months.

I had my left knee replaced in 07 and my goal was to be able to ride my R1100RS. I worked hard at PT and could ride in about 6 weeks. I had my right knee replaced in 10' and I am walking and doing things I had not done in many years. So glad I have had them done, should have done it years before and saved all the pain.

Knees 2008

Had double knee replacement March 28, 2008. Sports med doctor did the surgery. He had me riding stationary bicycle, twice a day for 30mins each time before surgery starting around Jan. surgery was early afternoon, they got me up the next day had me doing laps around corridor then stairs before I left Friday am. Wasn't released to do so but was driving by second week. Did therapy three times a week at their facility and would go home and do it all over when I got home as well as days at home. I was back teaching motorcycle classes by mid May, and flew to Vermont and rode a slash five back beginning of June. Four years later......glad I did it!
    Marsha Hall
    2012 GS Rallye, Vespa 250GT, Iron Buffalo Motorcycle Training, lead rider coach

Sister had both of hers done couple of years ago. Said it was very painful. She does have more maneuverability though. Best thing she ever did.
    Lynn
    MOA #57883
    Current Ride: 1995 K75 Standard
    Past: 1978 Yamaha XS 750, 1976 BMW R60/6

Put off a new shoulder for years, living in pain.

After it was done I said "Why did I wait?"

The sooner you do it, the sooner you will live pain free.

Good Luck!
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

Thanks again, everybody. I have another orthopedic appt. tomorrow.

-Tom (KA1TOX)