Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Oil Temp. Gauge

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeRyals View Post
    Actually heat generated by an airhead or any other internal combustion is not proportional to the rpm of the engine. An air head cruising at 40 mph on flat ground turns the same rpm as when going up a hill at 40 mph. The up hill run uses more fuel and generates more heat at the same rpm. The heat generated is proportional to the amount of work the engine is doing which is proportional to the amount of fuel used.
    This is accurate and I touched on it noting high speed aero drag.

To go up the hill at 40 mph requires either more rpm (a shift down) or more throttle to maintain the same rpm not shifting, either of which indeed uses more fuel to do the increased work. The work's the same, so either method is likely to require nearly the same fuel and generate the same heat. This affected, of course by pumping losses caused by a more-closed throttle, i.e. economy could be better simply with the larger throttle opening as opposed to the downshift.

In any event, blipping the throttle while stopped in traffic does nothing but put more heat into the engine and engine heat in traffic is not the problem
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

The original question was basically, ÔÇ£Is it worth the cost.....to install an oil temperature gauge.....to assure no problemsÔÇØ. The basic functional answer is probably that knowing the oil temperature is not going to assure there are no problems. There will be many more, and more obvious, telltale signs of impending doom/gloom before anything that a nuance such as a change in oil temperature may indicate. Much more practical for an airhead is having some indication of battery/charging condition ÔÇô voltmeter is easy to install, an ammeter is probably more valuable but is a little more tricky to install. Next, maybe knowing oil pressure, as an indicator of impending mechanical doom, might have value.

I choose to monitor oil temperature because thatÔÇÖs my area of interest. Each to their own.
    Mark

Current - '74 TR5T : '93 R100R : '06 ST3s ~ Past - Variety of British, French, Italian, Czechoslovakian, and German bikes from the '70s, '80s and '90s