Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Value for 1977 R100/7 with 9,350 miles?

The bike is worth between $4200.00 and $5000.00. The same exact bike just sold with similar miles for just over $4000.00 in Northern California.
    www.boxermetal.com
    www.facebook.com/boxermetal
    VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694, ABC #600
    Hi my name is Chris and I am a slash-five-o-holic.

Quote Originally Posted by garnchristensen View Post
    My question was just that...a question. Not an offer to sale. The owner sold it to me as an old bike with low miles. Not as a collector item. Her goal was that I ride it, which I am. My concern over value was more in line with what amount I should insure it for.

This is my 3rd BMW. First rode a 75, then 84, then 2002, and now back to an airhead. I am not much of mechanic so my main concern is how dependable this bike will be.

I am also not sure how this blog/thread thing works.
    Nice Bike!
    You can use this blog for any questions about your bike. There are many knowledgeable people willing to give beneficial help and or directions. There should be a number of like minded Airheads in your state. I've had the pleasure of meeting many in my home state (WI) and look forward to the annual Tech sessions to learn more airhead maintenance tips. Also there's the Airhead Beemers Club that offers a monthly newsletter to it's membership with helpful tech info and listings of state specific events.

Mike Horne
    76 R90/6, 120k, daily rider
    93 R100R Legend, 40k, weekend and special rides

James.A
    You'll have between $3500 and $4500 in a well sorted airhead when you are finished, that if you do most of the work your self. I'd add about $500 for excellent, original paint. Go ahead and do the math.

Too bad about the fairing. I personally never liked those very much. It would be a detraction to me to have to deal with removing one of those from an otherwise exceptional motorbike.

I would go with the $4,500 figure

If you don't use the bags much I would take them off and store them someplace safe and if that fairing is as cumbersome as it looks I would take it off and put it back to naked bike status. This bike is an easy candidate for an "S" fairing and a set of Magura low bars. Or if you like it the way it is ride the wheels off it, that's what its been waiting for.

A word of advice, if you haven't already please please have the under the gas tank brake master cylinder inspected and replaced if its old or questionable. It would be a shame to ruin any of the paint on that bike if it decides the recent activity is reason enough to leak.

The first thing you want to do is to clean and lube the clutch splines; they're probably pretty dry.

And that fairing should be saleable.
    Last edited by rinty; 10-17-2012 at 12:04 AM.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

I Love these old sleds...and have to keep myself in check on bringing home 'Orphans'. But if I got a chance on a stocker like this, I would grab it...up to about $3500.
    Steve in Santa Fe
    1980 R100RT
    2005 DR 650

I don't have a clue what it's worth, but congratulations on a great find !!!

Current Inventory:
    '12 ST1300 ABS, '10 GL1800, '08 FLSTF,
    '08 VTX1300C, '08 VSTAR1300, '73 R75/5

Motorcycleton
    Quote Originally Posted by garnchristensen View Post
    My question was ... [not] an offer to sale. .... My concern over value was more in line with what amount I should insure it for....
    I have several airheads (I was going to say older airheads, but then I realized that all airheads are "older" now - gee - where does time go?) and I have had them appraised for insurance purposes. The local BMW dealer where I've purchased a number of bikes did the appraisal after some discussion with me. My vintage bike insurer requires the formal appraisal with photos.

I make it relatively easy on the BMW dealer to do the appraisal. I write a letter with the relevant details about the bike (year, model, mileage, general condition, etc) and include the dealer's and my address. I leave the value and his signature line blank.

The discussion generally factors in the hypothetical cost to me to purchase that same bike from his showroom floor (assuming that he had that bike to sell). It is made clear that the appraisal value is not an offer from him to take the bike in at the stated value (for trade-in or outright purchase). Consideration is given to pricing of the same model bike in similar condition for sale in the same time period (internet is great for this kind of research). I do the research ahead of time and bring the results with me.

The cost of the insurance (full coverage) is directly tied to the valuation placed on the bike - I forget the exact cost rate.

My 77 R100RS is insured for $6500. I'd think that your bike would be appropriate at a value around the $4000 to $5000 range (after the needed work has been done - a bit less before - you might be supprised at how much of the work you can do yourself, particularly if you can get to some Airhead Tech Days).

I have found that rubber bits generally need to be replaced around 20 to 25 years. Seals can be a bit of work (or think of this as a learning experience). I'd suggest staying clear of synthetic oil or you might get to the seal replacement sooner than later - at least that was my experience.

Links for valuation research -
    http://marketplace.ibmwr.org/ {I really like IBMWR and have purchased a bike this way - met some good folks too!}
    http://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycle...7-980cc/Values {I've found that many dealers use NADA pricing}
    http://www.kbb.com/motorcycle/ {KBB can be WAY off in the valuation!}
    http://www.searchtempest.com/ {searches Craigslist - beware that asking prices on CL can be very unrealistic}
    http://www.cycletrader.com/find/search {I don't use cycle trader much any longer}

I don't know how much you guys are paying for collision coverage, but is there even any point in doing it, for these values?

I don't even cover my 2005 R1200ST.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."