Thread: 1994 K75, center stand, side stand lube

1994 K75, center stand, side stand lube

Off looking at yet another potential 4th Gen 4Runner I noticed a Harbor Freight tool store across the way. I stopped in and was handed a load of coupons by someone leaving, including ones for $10 torque wrench and $10 lever grease gun. Walked out with those two and an assortment of other things I sort of need

I stopped and got a tube of synthetic grease and this morning attacked the side and center stand. Well, it took all of 30 seconds. There are three zerk fittings I could see, one on the side stand and two for the center. Couple pumps on each, just until the grease starts squeeging out. It had not been done in a while, certainly not since I have owned it, and is easily overlooked. The early k bikes did not have zerks so check yours before proceeding.
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

RK Ryder
    My '87 K has these grease nipples which making lubricating the stands an easy task. Why did BMW not do that with the stands on my '98 R1100 (as well as not including the K self-cancelling turn signals?.
    Last edited by Paul_F; 09-23-2012 at 09:55 PM. Reason: spelling
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

While my '94 also has the zerks installed mine were too gunked up or dried out to take any grease---I installed new zerks and now it's a breeze to lube the stands.

Thanks for posting this reminder; preventive maintenance never hurts (except in one's pocketbook sometimes).
    ---Jeff

ex: K75S Berlina R100GS/PD , K100RS , R75/5 , R60/2

Some models have a small conical recess machined into the stand(s) that take a pointed grease gun fitting instead of a traditional zerk.

On some models you are supposed to take the bolt(s) out and grease things. Duh!

On these I just dribble in/on oil instead of using grease.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

I wish I had grease nipples ( not *greasy* nipples - c'mon!). My 1990 K75 just has the conical recesses and it's awkward to get the lube in there to say the least.

I suppose this winter I could take it all apart, drill and tap some holes where the conical depressions are an install some "zerks" as you call them. That sounds like a fun little project.

Lord knows both my stands could stand a bit of lube.
    jasper
    north vancouver

1990 K75S

I spray lithium white grease into the conical thingys on my 91 75RT.
    Ron

91 K75RT ABS

Quote Originally Posted by jwetering View Post
    I wish I had grease nipples ( not *greasy* nipples - c'mon!). My 1990 K75 just has the conical recesses and it's awkward to get the lube in there to say the least.

I suppose this winter I could take it all apart, drill and tap some holes where the conical depressions are an install some "zerks" as you call them. That sounds like a fun little project.

Lord knows both my stands could stand a bit of lube.
    or, just buy the pointed grease fitting that PaulG mentioned.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Paul,
    BMW made a lot of things worse when they introduced the R1100s. Not only didn't they get self-cancelling turn signals, but the horns became a joke, too. The tool kits seemed flimsier, and when you wanted to get at on the side of the road, you had the pleasure of dropping your seat onto the dirt because they no longer flipped up.

Quote Originally Posted by tonycarlos View Post
    Paul,
    BMW made a lot of things worse when they introduced the R1100s. Not only didn't they get self-cancelling turn signals, but the horns became a joke, too. The tool kits seemed flimsier, and when you wanted to get at on the side of the road, you had the pleasure of dropping your seat onto the dirt because they no longer flipped up.
    True, but they also made a lot of things better. That droppable seat was 3-way addjustable on the RS. The handlebars were adjustable both for and aft, and angular. The windshield was also adjustable by turning a knob. No fuse to blow - no motor to stick.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

...and, some models, like the R11S, retained the self-cancelling turn signals.

Tony- i would say that all your gripes are valid (in that those issues could have/should have been addressed), but relatively minor in tehir significance.
    overall, the oilheads as a complete bike were light years ahead of the airheads that they replaced (better brakes, better suspension, better handling, better motor performance, etc.). and, they offered a nice alternative to the K-bikes.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Rally Rat
    For stands with the conical holes, I have found that this inexpensive small Harbor Freight Grease Gun fits perfectly.

lubing side/center stands

What some of us need are self-tapping zerk fittings!

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by walt3022 View Post
    What some of us need are self-tapping zerk fittings!
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333